Entertainment

Blockless vs Unblock-us Review (For getting US Netflix in Canada)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2016 10:22 am
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2012
13 posts
3 upvotes
Dartmouth

Blockless vs Unblock-us Review (For getting US Netflix in Canada)

Hi, I've used both Blockless and Unblock-us over the past 7 months or so. Here is my review of both to help you decide which one to go with if you've been researching or thinking of switching.

1) http://blockless.com - Blockless is a SmartDNS service that allows you to access American Netflix in Canada free for 7 days, then after that for $4.95 a month. They're based in Ontario, Canada. I've been using them for about 4 months now without a single problem. I did have one problem with my PC at first, my support ticket with them was resolved very fast (email support only) but it was a prompt response, took about 6 hours. A big plus about Blockless is that the monthly cost is actually cheaper than Unblock-us (and not just by $0.04).

The cost of Blockless is $4.95 a month, including paypal fees. Unblock-us claims their service is $4.99 a month, but they make you pay the Paypal fee so it comes up to $5.74 if you use Paypal.

Verdict: Overall I give Blockless a 9.5/10. I haven't had any speed issues whatsoever, I can stream Netflix in HD on my Xbox and PC with no problems. I've also used the service for Pandora Radio, haven't tried Hulu yet but think I may soon.

2) http://unblock-us.com - Unblock-us is another SmartDNS service also ran out of ONT, Canada. They also allow you to access US netflix and many other US services free for a week, then after that for $4.99 a month (or $5.74 for paypal users). I used Unblock-us for about 3 months and was amazed at how much better American Netflix was being my first time trying it. Their speed was great, no problems with streaming HD or connectivity at all. Their only downfall seems to have been in their support. I contacted their support a few times and had to wait up to 3 days to get a response. I understand they have 10,000s if not more customers but a company you're paying $5+ a month to should definitely be responding within 24 hours. This may have changed by now, but this is the main reason I decided to switch over to Blockless. Support is a big deal to me.

Verdict: Overall I give Unblock-us a 8.5/10. I may try them out again in the future, or just attempt to submit another support ticket but for now I'll be sticking with Blockless.
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
If you're just after US Netflix then there are other ways to get it for free. Well, it's actually the same way, on the PC you use an add-on for your browser like mediahint and for your PS3/streaming device/TV etc you use a DNS you can find online somewhere. THere are a couple that are working for free with no trial, for now at least.

So then the advantage to these is for other services and things like accessing UK Netflix or Nordic Netflix or Mexican etc. You have to decide if those are worth the $5/month extra for you on top of Canadian+US. I know that UnblockUS is reputable for allowing you to access Netflix for those other countries. Blockless says they have UK access but I haven't seen detail about the other ones. I think the Nordic one is the one you wanna have if you have US/Canada because the newer movie selection on the Nordic one is a bit different.
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2332 posts
514 upvotes
Moncton
I went with the free Hotspot Shield. At first I put up with the ads, then I bought the year subscription because life is too short. Doesn't work for Netflix UK. Netflix USA requires the occasional disconnect/reconnect. When surfing Netflix while connected to Hotspot Shield, sometimes I have to start a movie available in Canada, stop it, then I can watch the US only content. Makes no sense, but it works.

But if the other services are per month without commitment, that might be better. Although if you can put up with the ads, obviously free Hotspot Shield is better.

Do those Ontario companies charge HST?
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
Pete_Coach and Armeee are on my ignore list.
Apr 26, 2010
8 posts
Kitchener
I use ***** ( [url]http://www.*****.com[/url] ). There is a cost, but it allows you to change which countries you get your content from. Very cool and easy to setup.
Sep 14, 2012
96 posts
10 upvotes
lelouchvi wrote:
Feb 21st, 2013 7:31 am
2) http://unblock-us.com - Unblock-us is another SmartDNS service also ran out of ONT, Canada. They also allow you to access US netflix and many other US services free for a week, then after that for $4.99 a month (or $5.74 for paypal users). I used Unblock-us for about 3 months and was amazed at how much better American Netflix was being my first time trying it. Their speed was great, no problems with streaming HD or connectivity at all. Their only downfall seems to have been in their support. I contacted their support a few times and had to wait up to 3 days to get a response. I understand they have 10,000s if not more customers but a company you're paying $5+ a month to should definitely be responding within 24 hours. This may have changed by now, but this is the main reason I decided to switch over to Blockless. Support is a big deal to me.

Verdict: Overall I give Unblock-us a 8.5/10. I may try them out again in the future, or just attempt to submit another support ticket but for now I'll be sticking with Blockless.
Actually Unblock-US doesn't charge the PayPal fees. They are chargingeither the GST (possibly the PST as well or the HST depending on your location). I live in Quebec and I only pay $5.24 ($4.99 + 5% GST = $5.24). I probably only pay GST because Unblock-US is in Ontario and Quebec doesn't yet have a HST.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3072 posts
219 upvotes
mightyreds99 wrote:
May 20th, 2013 4:16 pm
I use ***** ( [url]http://www.*****.com[/url] ). There is a cost, but it allows you to change which countries you get your content from. Very cool and easy to setup.
+1 on .... u n o t e l l y ...
Mar 27, 2009
116 posts
2 upvotes
Nettles wrote:
Feb 21st, 2013 12:45 pm
If you're just after US Netflix then there are other ways to get it for free. Well, it's actually the same way, on the PC you use an add-on for your browser like mediahint and for your PS3/streaming device/TV etc you use a DNS you can find online somewhere. THere are a couple that are working for free with no trial, for now at least.

So then the advantage to these is for other services and things like accessing UK Netflix or Nordic Netflix or Mexican etc. You have to decide if those are worth the $5/month extra for you on top of Canadian+US. I know that UnblockUS is reputable for allowing you to access Netflix for those other countries. Blockless says they have UK access but I haven't seen detail about the other ones. I think the Nordic one is the one you wanna have if you have US/Canada because the newer movie selection on the Nordic one is a bit different.
I tried the free ones they did not work very well.
Mar 15, 2014
1 posts
Toronto
+1 for blockless you get adblocking included and its cheaper. blockless.com/account/aff/go?r=16572
Apr 7, 2016
2 posts
I signed up for a yearly subscription with this company and the service stopped working after a month. I was using it solely for Netflix. I waited for several months as each time I messaged them, they said they were working on a fix. Netflix has targeted companies such as blockless to shut them down and in my case they did. i contacted Blockless who informed me that my account was blocked by Netflix from using their services, there was nothing they could do and I had already paid for a year in advance with 8 months remaining and they refused to refund my money for those 8 months - so I paid for a year subscription- used the service for about a month and am now out the money for a service I paid in advance and can't use. So buyer beware!!!! This service can be cut at anytime and they will not refund your subscription.
Apr 25, 2016
1 posts
MeganM4911 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2016 5:19 pm
I signed up for a yearly subscription with this company and the service stopped working after a month. I was using it solely for Netflix. I waited for several months as each time I messaged them, they said they were working on a fix. Netflix has targeted companies such as blockless to shut them down and in my case they did. i contacted Blockless who informed me that my account was blocked by Netflix from using their services, there was nothing they could do and I had already paid for a year in advance with 8 months remaining and they refused to refund my money for those 8 months - so I paid for a year subscription- used the service for about a month and am now out the money for a service I paid in advance and can't use. So buyer beware!!!! This service can be cut at anytime and they will not refund your subscription.
BEWARE!!! They'll try to entice you to stay with promised of worthiness out this and that. But I don't believe it. They made a big to do with the yearly subscription in December 2015 knowing the trouble on the horizon with Netflix. I got sucked in. Don't make the same mistake I made.
Apr 7, 2016
2 posts
I also got suckered into the Dec 2015 year subscription promotion and shortly thereafter the service stopped working because Netflix was on the hunt to stop services like this. It wouldn't be so bad if I'd only signed up for a month to month service because I would only be out a few dollars... But I'm out the money for a whole year subscription with 8 months remaining! BUYER BEWARE!!! Netflix is shutting these services down & Blockless refuses to reimburse!!
× < >