None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario

Bloodborne

So with The Order being a huge disappointment, my attention is back on Bloodborne again as the major PS4 exclusive right now. Given the reputation of these guys and the Souls series in general (and Miyazaki being back for this one), I'm expecting this to be a knock-out. Gameplay footage so far has been stellar, and anyone who played the Souls series will feel right at home.

But still, as always with each Souls games, the amazing battle system get's more refined. Here are some of the major changes I've noticed from reading about the game and watching game play footage, as well as comments and videos by various people who have tried it out:

1. No Shield, no Blocking of any kind. :-0
By far the biggest change of all.

2. Counter attack-based heal regeneration
So what happens now is when you get hit, the health you lose shows as yellow in your health meter for a very BRIEF amount of time - if you land a hit within that brief time, you can get some of your health back immediately.

3. More Stamina
You get more stamina, and also the rate that stamina regenerates varies depending on your class.

4. Dedicated healing slot and button
Triangle button now heals.

5. Shotgun
Does very limited damaged, EXTREMELY short range. Used mostly for briefly staggering enemies.

6. Dual-wielding, transforming weapons
Not as much info on how many weapons there will be, but we can see clearly that most of the weapons have the ability to "transform" in power-stance mode (from dual-wield to one-handed).

In a way, alot of these changes make sense, because we know Miyazaki was saying in the past that he didn't like how defensively people were playing Dark Souls, especially the fact that everyone was always holding the shield up at all times. This changes are meant to force the player to be more engaged and to use evasion more.

We saw the transition happening already in Dark Souls 2 with the ability to dual-wield weapons - Bloodborne builds on that (everyone is saying that anyone who played with a dual-wielding build in Dark Souls 2 will feel more comfortable with Bloodborne) - and for those of us (like me) who never bothered with dual-wielding - well, get use to it lol. :lol:

The emphasis has shifted more towards evading and countering now. Obviously Souls has always been like that, but much more this time.
406 replies
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
I'm looking forward to this game. I'm a little let down by no-blocking, but it's not a big deal at all. Dual-wielding more than makes up for it. A heal button will be nice as well.
Nintendo sucks. Steam sucks. I don't buy games. I buy licenses. #PCMasterRace
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5761 posts
684 upvotes
Grimsby
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I rarely ever block in Souls games but I see a ton of players doing it so I'm not sure they will like the loss of it.

This and The Witcher 3 are my big titles of the year. Oh and the Homeworld Remastered thing from Gearbox.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I might start a dual-wielding build in Dark Souls 2 just to try and get the hang of it before hand lol.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Redmask wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 1:08 pm
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I rarely ever block in Souls games but I see a ton of players doing it so I'm not sure they will like the loss of it.

This and The Witcher 3 are my big titles of the year. Oh and the Homeworld Remastered thing from Gearbox.
You forgot Batman ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2573 posts
188 upvotes
Hiitsdj wrote:
Feb 20th, 2015 1:18 pm
You forgot Batman ;)
He said his big titles of the year :P.

Really looking forward to trying this game, never played any of the Souls games.
Dec 24, 2014
76 posts
9 upvotes
One of the titles from this year I'm keeping an eye on to see if I should get a ps4. Could be a good year for the system.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
977 upvotes
Vaughan
Keeping an eye on this one as well. We all know how pre-release marketing and hype works, so I'm trying to stay level headed here, but it definitely looks interesting enough.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1992 posts
528 upvotes
This game looks awesome ... but so did Driveclub and The Order ... I'm sooo jaded now :(
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Andrew765 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 11:22 am
This game looks awesome ... but so did Driveclub and The Order ... I'm sooo jaded now :(
Hm? Driveclub was and is a great game. The server issues made it have a crappy launch, but the actual game was always pretty good. Are you saying you're worried the server might not work for this like Driveclub, or it'll be short like The Order? Very curious.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1992 posts
528 upvotes
Hiitsdj wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 11:30 am
Hm? Driveclub was and is a great game. The server issues made it have a crappy launch, but the actual game was always pretty good. Are you saying you're worried the server might not work for this like Driveclub, or it'll be short like The Order? Very curious.
Just that something will be broken at launch and promised features will come out later (ie. weather effects). I agree, Driveclub became a great game... but I just wish it was all there at launch.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
977 upvotes
Vaughan
Andrew765 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 11:40 am
Just that something will be broken at launch and promised features will come out later (ie. weather effects). I agree, Driveclub became a great game... but I just wish it was all there at launch.
Broken game? Sounds like a great game.

DriveClub fixed their issues, because they had to. No one was going to buy it as it was. To this day, they still haven't released the PS+ edition of it despite it being promised.

DriveClub could be the best PS4 game to date, I still wouldn't support the developers that made it. Bloodborne could be different, we'll find out a week after release.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Andrew765 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2015 11:40 am
Oh that's fair, I thought you were just trashing it because it was a PS4 exclusive. Yeah, it sucked they had to patch that in, but it cost them money to delay it, so I could understand why they did what they did. The online issues were un-excuseable however. When it comes to Driveclub and even Unity, it makes me happy we live in an age where they can fix broken games/patch in things. Great games that just needed some more time. I mean they could just hold them back, but a lot of people, including myself would rather play with what we have for bit until they fix it. (I'm not including Unity on PC, that should of been delayed without a doubt)

The Order there's nothing wrong with at all (I don't like third person shooters though), it's just not for everyone - and overhyped like every game is. That's our own fault as consumers though.