• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 5:38 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 18, 2005
435 posts
15 upvotes
Courtice
Played this game for 6 hours so far. Havent made it to the first boss yet even. Ive gotten to the bridge where the cleric beast is but cant defeat the two dogs on the bridge.

First time I have played one of these games. Clearly I need practice lol.
Jun 12, 2011
370 posts
122 upvotes
Trix77 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 11:58 pm
Played this game for 6 hours so far. Havent made it to the first boss yet even. Ive gotten to the bridge where the cleric beast is but cant defeat the two dogs on the bridge.

First time I have played one of these games. Clearly I need practice lol.
If you go past the dogs and take the first left down the stairs past another enemy you'll enter a house where the dogs won't be able to get at you at least and you can just kite at them through the door. There are two of the standard human like enemies in there so take care of them first so you don't get bumrushed. Also if you go down the stairs and through the open door and follow the path upstairs you'll end up back at the central yharnam lamp.

Just beat the cleric beast myself, took me like 3 tries just remember to lock on and dodge left or right. Dodging backwards isn't effective unless you need space to heal.
Jan 12, 2015
68 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
This games pretty cool, my first PS4 and first dark souls type of game, had the system since launch but nothing ever peaked my interest. It took me a lot longer to get to those two wolves on the bridge. The poster above is right. Just run into the house down the stairs on the left side and they cant fit thru the door. You can jump attack them and dodge backwards before they can do any damage. Taking advantage of terrain always helps. Don't forget to upgrade when you can. It takes a lot of practice. The boss took me a few tries. Just aim for its ass. Most of the bosses can be beat like that. Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2038 posts
190 upvotes
Maximize wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 9:10 am
Do the different firearms actually impact parrying? (ie easier to parry, larger window, etc.) I stuck with the hunter pistol up to Amelia, I can buy Ludwigs now but I need to level up bloodtinge twice, which I don't really want to do if it's not worth it.
Yes. But Ludwigs is a rifle, it's crap for melee range.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2895 posts
213 upvotes
The detail in these environments is incredible. It might be the best I've ever seen.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Old pic I just came across, made me laugh.

If Bloodborne was made by a typical game company today (ie hand-holding and nav points everywhere lol) :lol: :

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
^ I learned something from this! I just realized that those random pools of Blood Echos are dropped from me when I die.

This game is sooooo awesome. (not because of that, just in general)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Latest update just limited the option to connect with people of any level via password (basically you can still connect, but the other players stats will be lowered). No detail on what level difference this will happen, and how exactly it's calculated.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... intenance/

-If a player uses the Beckoning Bell or Small Resonant Bell while using a password, it will be clearly indicated that a password is in use.

-If the level difference between the host and the guest when matched using a password is large, the guest’s stats will be adjusted to match the host’s.

-Other bug fixes and matching improvements.

I was cheap, and used this feature to summon some high level guys from Reddit to help me with some Chalice dungeons LOL.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
SuperDuperFox wrote:
Jun 7th, 2015 4:24 pm
Old pic I just came across, made me laugh.

If Bloodborne was made by a typical game company today (ie hand-holding and nav points everywhere lol) :lol: :

That doesn't make the game any easier, just more accessible. A map/nav points isn't "Hand holding"
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4793 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Hiitsdj wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 12:46 pm
That doesn't make the game any easier, just more accessible. A map/nav points isn't "Hand holding"
It really destroys immersion and any exploration.

That's what I loved about bloodbourne, it felt like you were actually exploring something... you have no idea where you are going or what you are looking for you are just progressing by exploring every nook and cranny.

Most modern games offer a map with a checkpoint and you just race to the checkpoint without taking in the world or exploring much. It makes for most adventure and RPG games to be completely mindless experiences. Witcher 3 is absolutely depressing in this regard as you spend most of your just going from one checkpoint to the next, it literally tells you what to do all the time ie. When it tells you to read a book you find and then literally just directs you to the next workpoint based on what you may or may not have read.

It's super refreshing playing a game like bloodbourne in contrast to most modern games...

I think the best case of modernization killing videogames would be the changes from vanilla WoW to today... they streamlined the crap out of that game and made it accessible and easy for people to get into it and find parties and stuff but at the same time they removed the exploration and the magic IMO.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Sound a lot to me like you just don't explore if you don't need too, which is a personal problem. You don't need to speed run games.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5941 posts
776 upvotes
Grimsby
Hiitsdj wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 12:46 pm
It isn't a good fit for this franchise, part of the fun in dungeon crawlers like this is memorization and exploration. A large part of the tension comes from the unknown as well. People resist these concepts because they're present in many other games already and wouldn't be a worthwhile addition here.
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
Redmask wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 2:23 pm
It isn't a good fit for this franchise, part of the fun in dungeon crawlers like this is memorization and exploration. A large part of the tension comes from the unknown as well. People resist these concepts because they're present in many other games already and wouldn't be a worthwhile addition here.
I agree with you actually. It was just his comment that I needed to comment on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
276 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I don't know, a nav-point sounds like the quintessential "hand-holder". Telling you exactly where to go. It doesn't get much worse than that (except maybe a line to show how to get there as well lol).

What does "accessible" mean?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5941 posts
776 upvotes
Grimsby
I took it to mean that he was lamenting how guided and known the entire experience was in contrast with a game like Bloodborne. You can stop and explore everything but sometimes just knowing where everything is already and having arrows pointing you at everything deflates the experience.

In Witcher 3 its worth mentioning that you can simply turn off the markers (on PC anyway).

Regardless what people want to label it (accessibility, hand holding, whatever) I don't want these things in Bloodborne and thankfully it seems neither do the devs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)