• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 5:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Get good...if you can't beat the very first level, you can summon other players to help you if you play online.

You unlock short cuts, that really bring the level design together and brings it full circle. It isn't a game of the year contender for no reason.

Games made by FromSoftware have a refined combat system that is like an advanced and sophisticated version of the combat from Zelda.

Every weapon has two different functions and combos you can string together. You could do a jumping lunge attack, charge strong attacks, and parry incoming attacks.
Parrying incoming attacks leaves enemies open to critical hits. You can also quickly strafe by locking on to the enemy, and pressing circle and the direction to quickly side dodge left and right or simply roll out of the way in any direction.

You don't gain the ability level up until you kill the first boss in the first area. The first boss should be fairly easy if you actually try the tactics above.
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 1:54 am
I know it's an old thread, but I'm just posting this to express my dislike for this game. I really don't understand what the hype was/is all about, especially with it being game of the year on many polls. After playing it for about 4 hours, I think it's so awful, that I'm not even sure I'll ever go back to it. Extremely repetitive and uninspired, always low on health and forced to go through the same area 100 times defeating the same enemies that respawn in the exact spot over and over. I can just go on and on......
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
I know it's an old thread, but I'm just posting this to express my dislike for this game. I really don't understand what the hype was/is all about, especially with it being game of the year on many polls. After playing it for about 4 hours, I think it's so awful, that I'm not even sure I'll ever go back to it. Extremely repetitive and uninspired, always low on health and forced to go through the same area 100 times defeating the same enemies that respawn in the exact spot over and over. I can just go on and on......
Stick with it!

The game just throws you into the fire with zero explanation of what is going on and what to do, there is no tutorial or anything. The first area is almost a test to see if you are capable of playing the entire game. The combat is all timing based, figure out how to use your weapons and what is effective and not effective. The weapon I used had a big whirlwind attack which was very effective. It took me probably 3 to 4 hours to get to and defeat the first boss but it was incredibly rewarding and after that, once you figure out the mechanics and how the game plays the rest of the game is still challenging but it moves at a much quicker pace. The level design in this game is second to none with a bunch of looping, there is no checkpoints in this game but you unlock shortcuts that basically serve as checkpoints.

For the first area there is a shortcut you can take to open up the gate that makes the first area much easier, once you clear out the guys around the bonfire and proceed past the giant gate there is a shortcut on the left if you destroy a bunch of boxes you should be able to jump down and loop back to open a gate. This gives you almost a direct path to the boss which will take probably half a dozen trys to figure out if your new to the series.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
CFRTim wrote:
Is this the first time playing a Souls game? If so, that's how everyone feels the first time (same with me). Don't give up, these games are a shock at first because of how fair they are - as in, you don't get an advantage over enemies like in other games. They die in a few hits, but you die in a few hits too. We are so used to having our hands held, it takes a while to break the mold. You don't get nav points, you don't get massive health meters, you don't get mission objectives spelled out for you, etc. This is the real definition of a "hardcore" game.

My tips for you:

1. Dodging is critical, if you don't learn to dodge, you won't even beat the first boss. Dodge like mad, the controls are amazingly fast and responsive for a reason.
2. Lock on (R3) to an enemy, makes directional dodging way easier.
3. Watch your stamina bar, and make sure after a few attacks you leave enough to dodge away. DO NOT SPAM ATTACKS, EVER.
4. Pay attention to enemy attacks and animation, and learn when to back off, to avoid attacks and to regen your stamina.

Learn to accept death as a teacher. This game really makes breaks down our bad habits as gamers. For example, the first area you will come across a bridge with 2 werewolves that leads down to the boss. Most players instinctively go this way and die. The fastest most direct path doesn't mean its the best. You're actually supposed to go around them and avoid them, exploring the rest of the area. They are INTENTIONALLY overpowered for your level at this point. Your supposed to avoid them.

Don't give up, as you die you will slowly learn what works and what doesn't. This is one of the most rewarding games you will ever play. And of course you can summon players for co-op, which there is nothing wrong with - you can even offer to be summoned to other peoples games and help them.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4952 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote:
After playing it for about 4 hours, I think it's so awful, that I'm not even sure I'll ever go back to it. Extremely repetitive and uninspired, always low on health and forced to go through the same area 100 times defeating the same enemies that respawn in the exact spot over and over. I can just go on and on......
Did you ever play Demons Souls or Dark Souls? What you described is From Software games in a nutshell and is exactly how I felt playing Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Both games amused me for 5-10 hours, I beat a couple bosses but I couldn't fathom drudging through 40-50 hours to completion. From Software games basically boil down to pattern memorization and figuring out combat tactics from trial and error. The concept of trial and error gameplay is unappealing enough for me with instant load times but combined with the lengthy of load times of those games, I just couldn't enjoy it. It's a very niche style of gameplay and it's OK to not like it. I understand the appeal of it and why the style of games they make are popular with some people, but I personally couldn't get into their previous games either.
SuperDuperFox wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 10:19 am
Don't give up, as you die you will slowly learn what works and what doesn't. This is one of the most rewarding games you will ever play.
Key word "slowly". This is what killed Demons Souls and Dark Souls for me. That said, I get why people like you enjoy that because that's basically the same appeal of hardcore racing sims for me, but I think I enjoy that type of slow trail and error learning in sims because it's based on a real life sport that interests me outside of Video games as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
You have to complete it to get a full appreciation of the games.

There is no trial and error unless you are no good at the game or if you only stick to using tactics that do not work (DO NOT TRADE HITS with enemies. In a real fight this would not work either. See MMA). If you are seeing the same enemy types then that means you are still stuck on the very first area. You should not be in the first area for more than an hour.

FromSoftware games are the next evolution of Zelda's combat. If you like any of the 3D Zelda games then the Souls games should be right up your alley.

Some of the best and most fun boss fights in video games are in Bloodborne and the Souls bosses' too.

I do co-op and help other players out, but I find invading and trying to wipe out teams of 2 or 3 other human players and impede their progress more fun.
I like it when other people invade, since I usually kill the invaders.

Bloodborne and the Souls games can be played offline completely, but if you play offline, then you cannot see the helpful or mischievous
messages other players leave behind, bloodstain ghosts, or phantoms of other players.

If you are not good and just learning, go to online mode, ring the summoning bell, and try helping out other players online to see how they play.
A good player can beat all bosses on their own, but if you are bad, even one good player that knows what they are doing can carry you past the bosses easily.
All you would have to do is stay alive and heal yourself. You can summon up to 2-3 allies to help you, granted if you have Insight. One easy way to gain Insight is by
setting it to online mode and helping other players by ringing the summoning bell to join other peoples' game.

ReeGee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 1:13 pm
Did you ever play Demons Souls or Dark Souls? What you described is From Software games in a nutshell and is exactly how I felt playing Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Both games amused me for 5-10 hours, I beat a couple bosses but I couldn't fathom drudging through 40-50 hours to completion. From Software games basically boil down to pattern memorization and figuring out combat tactics from trial and error. The concept of trial and error gameplay is unappealing enough for me with instant load times but combined with the lengthy of load times of those games, I just couldn't enjoy it. It's a very niche style of gameplay and it's OK to not like it. I understand the appeal of it and why the style of games they make are popular with some people, but I personally couldn't get into their previous games either.

Key word "slowly". This is what killed Demons Souls and Dark Souls for me. That said, I get why people like you enjoy that because that's basically the same appeal of hardcore racing sims for me, but I think I enjoy that type of slow trail and error learning in sims because it's based on a real life sport that interests me outside of Video games as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 1:13 pm

+1
I took a snow day today, so I really gave this game a chance, but it's just not growing on me. Opened some shortcuts, made it to the first boss, but getting there did not give me a sense of accomplishment, only repetitive frustration. I get enough of that in the real world, I really don't see why I would wanna face it for my entertainment,
I know a lot of you will defend this game, call me casual, etc, but obviously is not for me. Funny thing is I got the PS4 for this game, and maybe Uncharted 4 later, but now I'm having second thoughts, as I'm also not liking the controller, but I don't believe that has anything about me not liking this game, lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4689 posts
592 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 3:34 pm
+1
I took a snow day today, so I really gave this game a chance, but it's just not growing on me. Opened some shortcuts, made it to the first boss, but getting there did not give me a sense of accomplishment, only repetitive frustration. I get enough of that in the real world, I really don't see why I would wanna face it for my entertainment,
I know a lot of you will defend this game, call me casual, etc, but obviously is not for me. Funny thing is I got the PS4 for this game, and maybe Uncharted 4 later, but now I'm having second thoughts, as I'm also not liking the controller, but I don't believe that has anything about me not liking this game, lol.
Hey man, you gave it a shot and you didn't like it. It's certainly not for everyone, my only suggestion was really have a go at it... it was my first souls game and my initial frustration turned into love, honestly if you beat the first boss and your not really hooked by then, then I doubt it will ever hook you and you can safely avoid any souls games in the future, thats sort of just a small sample of what the entire game presents to the player. I loved it, but Im the kind of guy to start all my gameson the hardest difficulty and it offered something totally new and unique compared to what Im used to playing, the sense of accomplishment was really profound and the exploration is equal parts exciting and stressful as around every corner were little trinkets and various shortcuts but also met big boars or stupidly hard enemies that would kill me in a couple shots. If you like a challenge in your games its superbly designed -best in class- but there is no "normal" mode.

I have issues with that controller, specifically for that game, for some reason my thumbs were constantly slipping off the joystick
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 3:53 pm
I have issues with that controller, specifically for that game, for some reason my thumbs were constantly slipping off the joystick
Ok, so it's not just me. Between the crap DS4 controller and some awkward camera angles, no wonder I'm having a hard time ;)
I'm gonna hold on to the PS4, got it for $350 with Bloodborne of Kijiji, same price as some old MacBook I sold that was just collecting dust in the basement. I don't know, maybe just not what I expected. I did play other games of From Software, Njnja Blade, Chromehounds, but was nothing like this. Never cared about Dark Souls
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
If you are no good at attacking outside of lock on, then just click on the right joystick (R3) to lock the camera onto a target.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Controls

Those other FromSoftware titles are not made by Miyazaki and are from unrelated teams within their company.

Persistence pays off. If you are not willing to take the time to learn the mechanics, use them the right way and improve, you will not like it.
The same advice goes with anything important in life.
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 6:13 pm
Ok, so it's not just me. Between the crap DS4 controller and some awkward camera angles, no wonder I'm having a hard time ;)
I'm gonna hold on to the PS4, got it for $350 with Bloodborne of Kijiji, same price as some old MacBook I sold that was just collecting dust in the basement. I don't know, maybe just not what I expected. I did play other games of From Software, Njnja Blade, Chromehounds, but was nothing like this. Never cared about Dark Souls
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2895 posts
213 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 12th, 2016 3:34 pm
+1
If you don't like it then you don't like it, nothing wrong with that. At least you can say you tried it and have an idea of what it's about. I'd encourage you to stick with it though, you reach a point where everything just "clicks". The first time I played Demon Souls, I thought it was absurd. I gave up twice and sold the game twice, believe it or not. I finally came back to it a third time and was hooked. Played each game in the series ever since.

Bloodborne is actually the only real reason I kept my PS4, since I game on PC mostly. It's the best game of the year for me, easily. Don't feel bad, for people new to the series, it's a bit obtuse at first.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
I would like to apologize for my earlier posts. Please disregard all of the negative ones, Bloodborne is a great game. It also probably helps that I got thumb grips for the DS4 as well. Anyway, I finished my second boss, and the game is definitely growing on me
Banned
Dec 17, 2012
2084 posts
276 upvotes
TORONTO
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 8:35 am
I would like to apologize for my earlier posts. Please disregard all of the negative ones, Bloodborne is a great game. It also probably helps that I got thumb grips for the DS4 as well. Anyway, I finished my second boss, and the game is definitely growing on me
I laugh a bit, because everyone has told you that you'll get hooked on it when you kill the first boss and here it is!! :P
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
I still remember when that old wackadoodle BatmanBegins or whatever his name was came into the Dark Souls thread "This is the worst game, so hard its pointless this is terrible why do people love it so much". Everyone else: "Keep playing". Then like 2 days later "This is the best game ever!" :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
That was TheBatmanRising . I wonder why he got banned though.
Redmask wrote:
Jan 14th, 2016 3:09 pm
I still remember when that old wackadoodle BatmanBegins or whatever his name was came into the Dark Souls thread "This is the worst game, so hard its pointless this is terrible why do people love it so much". Everyone else: "Keep playing". Then like 2 days later "This is the best game ever!" :)