• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2017 5:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Any tips on how I should level up my character, to make the game a little more manageable for a noob like me? I'm mostly upgrading my health bar and strength. I don't even understand what half the things I pick up are supposed to do. The game is so vague on what things do, or what I need to do next....
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
There's only a few directions you can go at any given time and the games NPCs do give you clues. I don't know where you are right now so its hard to be more specific (before or after Vicar Amelia?). An easy beginner build is 30-40END, level skl and str equally to 25 at least before picking which one you want, level VIT a lot early on and take it to 30 at least and use the Saw Cleaver or Axe. The Axe spin to win R2 move is pretty noob friendly. I suggest the Hunter's Pistol for parrying. Learn to dodge and parry effectively. Sometimes with a few bosses you have to trade off hits and use the regain system but generally speaking its better to learn avoidance wherever possible.

In terms of leveling, just explore and kill stuff. Help other people beat bosses by ringing your small chime or whatever its called, you get souls and to learn the bosses.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1176 upvotes
Highlight the item and read the description.

This is a good wiki if you do not have the official guide.
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/

Out of the starter weapons you can choose at the beginning of the game, I like the threaded cane that can be used as a long sword or whip interchangeably but the adjustable axe is more useful because its two-handed mode charge attack is devastating. You can buy all the starting weapons later on in Hunter's Dream anyway after getting badges for defeating certain bosses.
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 1:43 pm
Any tips on how I should level up my character, to make the game a little more manageable for a noob like me? I'm mostly upgrading my health bar and strength. I don't even understand what half the things I pick up are supposed to do. The game is so vague on what things do, or what I need to do next....

This youtube user that covers Bloodborne and the Souls game's lore has over 500,000 subscribers. His videos are very good and in-depth.
Mar 11, 2009
719 posts
31 upvotes
With regards to leveling there is also a soft cap.

vit: 50
end: 40
and 25 for the rest.

So shouldnt go past that until you find a weapon you like. AS recommended by redmask: 30 vit, 30end, 25str, 25 skl, and the rest base.
PSN: gns168 | Gamertag: gns168
---
Currently playing: DaSIII - RC, Destiny-AoT (PS4)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Alright thanks, so endurance is more important than strength. I was focusing on upgrading strength to lvl. 16 so I can use that hammer/sword thing. And btw, I've started with the saw cleaver, and in retrospective is not the best choice I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 9:00 pm
Alright thanks, so endurance is more important than strength. I was focusing on upgrading strength to lvl. 16 so I can use that hammer/sword thing. And btw, I've started with the saw cleaver, and in retrospective is not the best choice I guess.
The only bad weapon is the one you don't like, everything in BB is viable for the most part. If you enjoy the moveset then its totally fine. The Axe is just a bit better for beginners but its also kind of a crutch that teaches a few bad habits. You can always rebuy it at the vendor by the fountain.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 9:00 pm
Endurance does nothing for damage, unlike strength. Endurance only makes you have a longer stamina bar and affect its recovery so you can dodge and attack more. As mentioned before you should find a weapon with a move set that you like and suits your play style before dumping too many stats into one particular category. One thing to keep in mind is the heavy strength based weapons eat stamina like crazy especially if you use R2 attacks or its trick mode. You don't want to be using them unless you have adequate stamina since it'll leave you completely exposed and unable to dodge after a couple of swings. Some of the later bosses are fast, like Dark Beast, Martyr etc, and you'll get wrecked if you go into the fight with a tiny stamina bar swinging the Kirkhammer or Ludwig.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 15th, 2016 1:43 pm
ENDURANCE!

Because I like to dance.

Let's you dodge more and attack more. I think you should add at least a few points to endurance. There are some enemies where, if you have enough to get in one more hit, they can die in one attack chain.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
How did you end up faring Tim?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jan 21st, 2016 9:46 am
How did you end up faring Tim?
I'm stuck again, lol. This game brings out the worst in me, all those things I tell my boy not to do when gaming, all the rage it's all coming out. I just realize, that is better to revisit earlier stages to collect blood echoes and level up, instead of just trying to advance with limited resources
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5694 posts
653 upvotes
Grimsby
Haha don't worry, it does that to everyone :) Let us know if you need a hand.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1979 posts
521 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 21st, 2016 10:01 am
I'm stuck again, lol. This game brings out the worst in me, all those things I tell my boy not to do when gaming, all the rage it's all coming out. I just realize, that is better to revisit earlier stages to collect blood echoes and level up, instead of just trying to advance with limited resources
I used this for my Blood Echo Farming:

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Farming

Wiki is key for this game!
Mar 11, 2009
719 posts
31 upvotes
CFRTim wrote:
Jan 21st, 2016 10:01 am
Redmask wrote:
Jan 21st, 2016 10:21 am
Haha don't worry, it does that to everyone :) Let us know if you need a hand.
Is there a level separation still? If not then i would be more that happy to help
PSN: gns168 | Gamertag: gns168
---
Currently playing: DaSIII - RC, Destiny-AoT (PS4)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1780 posts
130 upvotes
I spent over 30 hours on my first char only to figure out I didn't like my build (pure skill). Redid it again with pure arcane and restarted another char. After x number of hours (not going to say, lol), going to create a 3rd char which is bloodtinge/skill build. This game is super fun lol
What happens in RFD, stays in RFD
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel