Pets

Is bloodwork needed before neutering my 6 month old puppy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2012 7:36 am
Apr 20, 2008
482 posts
22 upvotes
Vaughan

Is bloodwork needed before neutering my 6 month old puppy?

So my puppy's going to turn 6 months soon and I'm looking around to get him neuter

my vet is charging me $264 + optional $44 blood work

he explains that the blood work is to see if his liver and kidney are functioning under the surgery..

so my question is, is it needed/recommended?

Thanks for your advice in advance !
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3584 posts
439 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I don't think our vet charged us for blood work after the surgery. I would've expected that he do all the post-surgery checks as part of the entire procedure.

If he doesn't, I would still go for it to ensure everything's fine. $44 is nothing compared to peace of mind.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4052 posts
143 upvotes
The blood work is done pre-surgery to ensure the organs are healthy enough to allow the dog to be sedated for the surgery. When I worked at a vet clinic, the vet made it almost mandatory for the patients to have basic bloodwork done before being spayed/neutered. He just worked it into the final price and when he explained the price break down of the surgery he just explained the blood work as if the client had no choice. Of course since its a paid service you have the choice. With young animals, I can't remember a time when then pre-surgery bloodwork came back abnormal and the surgery cancelled/dealyed. Chances are your pup is fine and healthy enough to be sedated. But if $40 won't break the bank for you and if something bad did happen and you'd be wondering "what if", then just get the test done.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12844 posts
571 upvotes
Blood work can be done both before and after the surgery. Typically beforehand you are confirming that there is nothing wrong with the animal and they will be able to survive the sedation and surgery. Afterwards you are typically looking for things like elevated WBCs and/or Sepsis (i.e. major infections). In many instances things like procalcitonin or even Lactate will provide a lot more information before symptoms would present themselves.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2016 posts
56 upvotes
As people say, it's to ensure your dog is healthy and survives the anesthetics.

IMO, it is unnecessary since the changes of your dog being unhealthy enough to not survive the anesthetics is slim to none. One of those cash grabs by the vet :)

Save your $$
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4722 posts
1021 upvotes
Montreal
Im in the same situation, gonna bring my 6months old puppy today.

My breeder said the blood test is not needed. Id like to hear more opinions.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1910 posts
119 upvotes
I paid for it.

If I was concerned about $44 he'd be getting snipped at the SPCA for 1/3 the cost. Better safe than sorry, it's a coffee a day for a month and a once in a life cost.

Added value is they can pick up any other unusual things/problems that will be evident in the blood panel that may not be symptomatic.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4052 posts
143 upvotes
Madevilz wrote:
Jun 18th, 2012 9:29 am
Im in the same situation, gonna bring my 6months old puppy today.

My breeder said the blood test is not needed. Id like to hear more opinions.
Breeders aren't exactly vets ;)

The blood work is not required, it's recommended. When we did pre-surgery bloodwork for our 8 month old pup, there were two counts that were elevated. It wasn't something that prevented the dog from being operated on (in this case) but it was still good to be made aware of the situation. For $40-$50, for *us* it was worth having done as it was little to spend.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5526 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2012 5:28 pm

The blood work is not required, it's recommended. When we did pre-surgery bloodwork for our 8 month old pup, there were two counts that were elevated. It wasn't something that prevented the dog from being operated on (in this case) but it was still good to be made aware of the situation. For $40-$50, for *us* it was worth having done as it was little to spend.
i did the blood work as well.

its not only for surgery but blood work can tell if the dogs liver and kidneys are fine.

think of it as a check up on your pup.
Nov 23, 2008
143 posts
1 upvote
it's not necessary, ALMOST ALL (like 99%) of the puppies bloodwork are normal or only have very slight elevations of enzymes (which doesn't justify not doing the bloodwork). If you want to do it, then do it. If you're money - conscious, and you won't worry about it then don't.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4722 posts
1021 upvotes
Montreal
amz155 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2012 5:28 pm
True, but they have been breeding dogs all their life and "should" know what is necessary and what is not. Vets (not all of them) seem to only look at people as a source of income.
Jul 5, 2004
21388 posts
1585 upvotes
q1w2e3 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 12:31 am
it's not necessary, ALMOST ALL (like 99%) of the puppies bloodwork are normal or only have very slight elevations of enzymes (which doesn't justify not doing the bloodwork). If you want to do it, then do it. If you're money - conscious, and you won't worry about it then don't.
Same with people, yet bloodwork is draw before people have surgery. Why bother, after all, only 1% or so will be at risk of dying during surgery, no big deal.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Nov 23, 2008
143 posts
1 upvote
Except bloodwork is done for adults, and there's a much bigger liability issue with humans?

I mean I understand that you want to do it, and I understand that you may not want to do it.
If its a question that can be solved by money.. It's not really a problem
Apr 2, 2009
74 posts
4 upvotes
q1w2e3 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2012 12:31 am
I spoke to 4 different vets about this before choosing. For a puppy under 1-2yrs old this is unnecessary and preys on your fears. If it was medically necessary it would have been a non-negotiable part of the procedure - what vet wants to be sued for missing a critical step? By adding it as an extra precaution they're hoping you'll wave it off as a small price to pay for your pet's health.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2012
1910 posts
119 upvotes
upsydaisy wrote:
Jun 24th, 2012 10:51 am
I spoke to 4 different vets about this before choosing. For a puppy under 1-2yrs old this is unnecessary and preys on your fears. If it was medically necessary it would have been a non-negotiable part of the procedure - what vet wants to be sued for missing a critical step? By adding it as an extra precaution they're hoping you'll wave it off as a small price to pay for your pet's health.
Pretty strong langugae.

Are you suggesting that no puppy has ever needed nor benefited from having this done?
× < >