Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] BLU R1 Plus, 3GB RAM, 32GB, 4000mAh, 5.5" but only 720x1280 resolution - $140

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 6:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
3975 posts
2072 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] BLU R1 Plus, 3GB RAM, 32GB, 4000mAh, 5.5" but only 720x1280 resolution - $140

It's a pretty cheap price for what you get, downside is the resolution among a few other things.

Full specs here: http://www.gsmarena.com/blu_r1_plus-8670.php

This got a lot of bad reviews after launch, because multitouch wasn't working properly, however it seems like it may be fixed with a recent update?

Source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/r1-hd/ ... 8552/page6

Buy at your own risk, but shouldn't be hard to return if anything. Deal is warm, lowest price before was $109 USD (about $148 CAD at the moment).
81 replies
Apr 28, 2017
19 posts
6 upvotes
Introducing R1 Plus, the newest member of the BLU smartphone family. The new R1 Plus promises performance, power, and style
- Fast 1.3 GHz quad-core MediaTek 6737 ARM Cortex processor with 32 GB Internal memory and 3 GB RAM
- Enjoy the best of Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow, including Google Maps, Gmail, Play Store, and more
- Dual SIM and MicroSD support for up to 64 GB of expandable storage
Images
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1502 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
This or moto g play?

Price seems good - anyone know if it comes with case? But it seems negative feedback is on multi-touch issue (zoom in) - although looking at the latest comment, it seems it just got fixed.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
3416 posts
1060 upvotes
these BLU phones are always going to be better spec'd than most of the competition around the same price points.

the major downside with BLU is that they rarely do any OS updates if ever at all. so it's usually what it came with straight out of the box forever.

getting Moto G phones are probably the safer bet, since they are likely to get OS updates and will have better support in general.
Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm fine with the price, the resolution, the battery... the low resolution only means that the battery life will exceed expectations (or so I hope). My issue is with that Mediatek processor, which ruins the deal for me (and the price).

Says here that it's roughly on par with the SD410's, which I'm not all that happy about: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mediatek- ... 416.0.html

The SD410's pretty bad. And it's sad that a perfectly good phone has what appears to be a crappy processor. Because of this, it's only worth $100 to $120 at most for me (believe me, I'd snap it up at those prices). I'd rather spend a bit more and get something with a Snapdragon. I've heard too many bad things about Mediatek over the years, things that a lot of RAM can't solve.

Of course, the only thing differentiating this phone from those cheap phones is a) Canadian frequencies and b) warranty. So yes, this is a good burner phone. But the phone's too big for me and has a Mediatek processor, so I'll probably end up buying a Redmi Note 4 for $150ish or 4X from Asia for $100 to $120 when someone I know travels there this year. Since I don't need 1700/AWS, Chinaphones work well for me.
Last edited by sk2003 on May 19th, 2017 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 23, 2011
24 posts
2 upvotes
Please remember that you get what you pay for. it is true for ever. I I have a blu phone the specs are very good and the price is cheap. but it takes blur pictures; not running smoothly; stuck; the screen is not responsive.
Mar 3, 2009
886 posts
33 upvotes
True story, I bought the Blu One X on sale from the already cheap price and sold it on kijiji after a few months. I have patience but the ghosting on the screen took it all out of me, so unfortunately it is someone else problem now haha.
Boom Boom Pow!
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10402 posts
1312 upvotes
sk2003 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 6:42 am
I'm fine with the price, the resolution, the battery... the low resolution only means that the battery life will exceed expectations (or so I hope). My issue is with that Mediatek processor, which ruins the deal for me (and the price).

Says here that it's roughly on par with the SD410's, which I'm not all that happy about: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mediatek- ... 416.0.html

The SD410's pretty bad. And it's sad that a perfectly good phone has what appears to be a crappy processor. Because of this, it's only worth $100 to $120 at most for me (believe me, I'd snap it up at those prices). I'd rather spend a bit more and get something with a Snapdragon. I've heard too many bad things about Mediatek over the years, things that a lot of RAM can't solve.

Of course, the only thing differentiating this phone from those cheap phones is a) Canadian frequencies and b) warranty. So yes, this is a good burner phone. But the phone's too big for me and has a Mediatek processor, so I'll probably end up buying a Redmi Note 4 for $150ish or 4X from Asia for $100 to $120 when someone I know travels there this year. Since I don't need 1700/AWS, Chinaphones work well for me.
I was debating on this phone vs the Redmi Note 4. In the end, I chose the Redmi Note 4 due to better processor, better quality control and Xiaomi support. It came to roughly $205 Cdn shipped, not sure where you're getting a $150 price from - that is the USD price.
May 18, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
After years of wasting money on the latest flagship phones, I switched to a Blu Advance 5.0 about a year ago and it's been amazing. Not amazing in that it's a great phone, it's garbage. But it lets me do the things I NEED to do, without being one of those phone-staring zombies you see walking around. Unfortunately, that model isn't quite as forgiving to drops as my $1k phones have been and the screen is in pieces.

So, I've been waiting for a good deal on a similar Blu phone and at $148 the R1 Plus looks like a tremendous deal so I've ordered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6462 posts
437 upvotes
Waterloo
this should work on wind freedom mobile....
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10402 posts
1312 upvotes
From the Amazon reviews, multitouch is still not fixed totally, even with the update.

Disturbing reports of battery drain issues and poor battery life (on a 4000 Mah 720p phone this is totally unacceptable).

Blu is known for having crap support and basically abandoning its hardware in terms of updates.

I'd pass. Spend more and save lots of headaches, or get the Moto G Play for around $150 which is not as impressive hardware wise, but is well supported without any of these issues.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6462 posts
437 upvotes
Waterloo
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:22 am
From the Amazon reviews, multitouch is still not fixed totally, even with the update.

Disturbing reports of battery drain issues and poor battery life (on a 4000 Mah 720p phone this is totally unacceptable).

Blu is known for having crap support and basically abandoning its hardware in terms of updates.

I'd pass. Spend more and save lots of headaches, or get the Moto G Play for around $150 which is not as impressive hardware wise, but is well supported without any of these issues.
i have a samsung s5 and bought a bear battery pack extended battery i believe its 6000 Mah love it i had the old battery wouldn't last more than 2 hrs ive rooted it i bought the phone for 120.00
Oct 9, 2005
459 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Is the XiaoMi Redmi 4A a better option? Currently CDN$138 at Gear best
Xiaomi Redmi 4A 4G Smartphone - GLOBAL VERSION 2GB RAM 32GB ROM

RFD seems to be blocking links to GB
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10402 posts
1312 upvotes
jtkv wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:29 am
Is the XiaoMi Redmi 4A a better option? Currently CDN$138 at ********
http://www.********.com/cell-phones/pp_617010.html?wid=4&utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=regular.0516E&eo=zf2Vjaa7Ham3Fzbv&email=b2t8IyN4cDJlSlBKRHkyY2N0V24vRythcnZad2Jpc2NBd2dnNmljeTVTV0E5M3dZPXwxNDg2OA==
I'd definitely pick the Redmi 4A over this Blu Phone. But you will have to wait at least a month, and possibly up to two for shipping from China. Your Gear-Best deal looks good- global edition and 32 GB storage. They are shipping via Singapore Post so it won't be a speedy delivery, has to clear Vancouver customs.

I ordered the Redmi Note 4 Global edition for roughly $205 Cdn.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2377 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:33 am
I'd definitely pick the Redmi 4A over this Blu Phone. But you will have to wait at least a month for shipping from China. Your Gear-Best deal looks good- global edition and 32 GB storage.

I ordered the Redmi Note 4 Global edition for roughly $205 Cdn.
Where did you buy your redmi note 4? I see it on aliexpress but there are tons different sellers. And how much extra did you pay for duties?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel