Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] BLU R1 Plus, 3GB RAM, 32GB, 4000mAh, 5.5" but only 720x1280 resolution - $140

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2017 10:29 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10430 posts
1318 upvotes
osuman wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:56 am
Where did you buy your redmi note 4? I see it on aliexpress but there are tons different sellers. And how much extra did you pay for duties?
I bought it from the official Xiaomi Online store a couple of weeks ago. At the time it was $150 USD, however now I see it is up to $184 USD. I wanted to order it directly from Xiaomi for fast shipping.

So if you need to order it today, another seller is a better option. I don't have experience with the other Aliexpress stores.

This is the seller I used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global- ... 63337.html

I choose standard mail shipping so hopefully there won't be duties, but that's YMMV. With DHL shipping getting hit with duties is almost guaranteed.

I see this store currently has the Gold version for $147 USD. Black and Grey are a few bucks more
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 19576.html

I would also suggest ordering a case and a screen protector when you order the phone. You won't find one in Canada.
Nov 6, 2016
100 posts
43 upvotes
Cheap phones are really starting to appeal to me - I would feel much better pairing a cheap $100 phone with a decent laptop for productivity than current phone that costs about as much as a decent laptop.

Hoping to get an Android One phone, just not sure how since I believe it's only sold in India.

Thanks to OP for renewing my interest!
Dec 12, 2009
235 posts
45 upvotes
zentro wrote:
May 19th, 2017 4:21 am

Buy at your own risk, but shouldn't be hard to return if anything. Deal is warm, lowest price before was $109 USD (about $148 CAD at the moment).
Actually this is a much lower price than the people who got it from US. I paid 131.71US including shipping and import fees and with the exchange at 1.35. my total was $178. This one here with taxes is 158 which is 20 cheaper. The big issue was the multi touch but they seemed to have that fixed with a patch that BLU released yesterday. It is a decent unit for the price but beware that BLU has a reputation for not updating software. They said they will have a release for Nougat but don't trust them until you see it.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15450 posts
934 upvotes
trinxified wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:55 am
the major downside with BLU is that they rarely do any OS updates if ever at all. so it's usually what it came with straight out of the box forever.
I was surprised when my Blu phone's (different model) wireless update notified there's an update waiting to download. It's almost 500mb so I'm guessing it has to be an upgrade from Android Marshmallow to Nougat.

Perhaps they're getting better at pushing through OS updates now that they're more popular?
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Apr 26, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
I wouldn't buy a BLU phone unless I can get proper support. I contacted BLU after buying a BLU LIFE XL during their amazon.ca sale last year - BECAUSE their official parts seller bluphoneparts.com was out of stock on the removable battery. For an 2016 released phone. They told me to go check with bluphoneparts.com and NO RESPONSE after I pointed out to them that I was asking them WHERE ELSE BECAUSE YOUR DEALER IS OUT OF STOCK.

EDIT cuz rage spelling.
Apr 26, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:01 am
I bought it from the official Xiaomi Online store a couple of weeks ago. At the time it was $150 USD, however now I see it is up to $184 USD. I wanted to order it directly from Xiaomi for fast shipping.

So if you need to order it today, another seller is a better option. I don't have experience with the other Aliexpress stores.

This is the seller I used:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global- ... 63337.html

I choose standard mail shipping so hopefully there won't be duties, but that's YMMV. With DHL shipping getting hit with duties is almost guaranteed.

I see this store currently has the Gold version for $147 USD. Black and Grey are a few bucks more
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origina ... 19576.html

I would also suggest ordering a case and a screen protector when you order the phone. You won't find one in Canada.
Xiaomi phone accessories can be found in Pacific Mall IIRC, but you probably need to check multiple stores. I have 2-3 stores that are my go to now since they have the widest range of cases stocked for Chinese phones.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1168 posts
362 upvotes
Vancouver
My in-law is using the One X from launch day in Amazon.com and she is ok with it. I think it fits the bill for what she needs it for.
Apr 26, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:49 am
This or moto g play?

Price seems good - anyone know if it comes with case? But it seems negative feedback is on multi-touch issue (zoom in) - although looking at the latest comment, it seems it just got fixed.
Moto G Play. Because Support is nonexistent for BLU phones.

I ordered a BLU LIFE XL back during the amazon sale last year and it's been a PITA trying to find a replacement battery for an 2016 released phone (which I find unacceptable). bluphoneparts.com is BLU's official parts dealer and they're out of stock. When I contacted BLU directly they told me to go check bluephoneparts.com. Which I TOLD THEM IS OUT OF STOCK. I reiterated that fact and have yet to hear from them - it's been over 2 weeks. I'm currently waiting for a $30+ battery from a seller in Hong Kong because NA and south American ebay sellers with stock for the battery WILL NOT SHIP TO CANADA. ETA is June 1+.

EDIT: re: cases - as accessories are hard to find, my BLU LIFE XL had also included a rubber case & plastic screen protector. There's places that sell universal flip wallet cases - I just found one the right size for a 5.5 phone and glued the rubber case on. Otherwise you need to order from ebay or aliexpress for one.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
2653 posts
545 upvotes
BC
I think this works out to be cheaper than the US 1 day launch sale.
I bought it and actually like the phone for my uses after yesterday's multitouch software update.

Guess I'll need to contact Amazon for a price adjustment
Oct 9, 2005
459 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Did you install the update? Did it fix the multi-touch issues for you?
starbuckscoffee wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:19 am
Actually this is a much lower price than the people who got it from US. I paid 131.71US including shipping and import fees and with the exchange at 1.35. my total was $178. This one here with taxes is 158 which is 20 cheaper. The big issue was the multi touch but they seemed to have that fixed with a patch that BLU released yesterday. It is a decent unit for the price but beware that BLU has a reputation for not updating software. They said they will have a release for Nougat but don't trust them until you see it.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10430 posts
1318 upvotes
jtkv wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:49 am
Did you install the update? Did it fix the multi-touch issues for you?
From what I read on the Amazon.com reviews (which are horrible), the update semi fixed the multi touch issue, but only for 2 finger touch, not 3 finger.

Multiple reviews stating that the phone arrived without a back case, etc.
Dec 10, 2014
356 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Despite everyone on rfd shitting on Blu, I bought both my parents the Blu vivo xl2 and it's honestly as good as my oneplus one that I am still using to this day, but less than half the cost I bought it for. It's crazy how cheap phones that are perfectly functional are getting. Think I may buy this one as a dedicated YouTube machine.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10430 posts
1318 upvotes
EJoncall wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:39 am
Xiaomi phone accessories can be found in Pacific Mall IIRC, but you probably need to check multiple stores. I have 2-3 stores that are my go to now since they have the widest range of cases stocked for Chinese phones.
Does anyone in P-Mall sell Xiaomi phones themselves? If so, how do the prices compare to Aliexpress, etc.?
Dec 19, 2013
154 posts
98 upvotes
LANGLEY
Thinking of ordering this one. Total price (with taxes) CDN$ 156.79
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel