• Jul 9th, 2010 4:12 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes

Blu-Ray Writer Recommendation

So looks like the current DVD-RW writer is no longer recognizing any discs. Just spins and then opens up and says insert a disc even though there is one already inside. Thought I would install a Blu-Ray writer to burn some HD movies and watch them on a home theater system. Will use BR discs as a 3rd backup. Anyone have recommendations which unit to purchase. Would prefer one that has software to allow for easy HD movie burning (just the burning part, no need for post processing, already have Premiere Pro and Encore).
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22156 posts
10321 upvotes
Toronto
You'll need to use a program such as Anydvd HD to rip BDs to your hard drive. To compress the rips, you'll need a program like BD Rebuilder.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Looking at the two computer stores I go to (NCIX and Anitec), you get a choice of three models:
Pioneer 12x -> $200.00
Plextor 12x -> $250.00
LG 8x -> $160.00

I love Plextor drives, but this one is probably just a rebranded drive, as opposed to a real Plextor, so I would pass.

I wouldn't doubt the Pioneer is better than the LG, but is it $40 better?

If I had to get one now, I would most likely opt for the least expensive one.

edit// Mind you, I would also get a separate drive to burn DVDs. No point adding more wear and tear to a $100+ drive when a $20 drive can do the job.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
I don't have any recommendation. But I have been using a LG GGW-H20L (old model) for 2-3 years now. No complaints at all. I use it to watch blu-ray movies, backup data to BD-R.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
I just bought the LG 10x Blu-Ray Writer BH10LS30 from NCIX just over a week ago for $145. So far I love it.
Comes with a bunch of programs including CyberLink PowerDVD 8 to playback your movies and PowerBackup to rip your discs to your computer.

However I don't bother with PowerBackup because all I really want to backup is movies so I use AnyDVD HD and HDFab to get the protection removed so I can copy them to my computer's hard drive.
Takes about 20-30 minutes to rip a movie to my hard drive depending on the size of disc.

Also came with a blank BR disc i've yet to use.
I mainly bought this drive to backup my movies to my computer but figured I might as well get a writer so in the future (yeah might be a while) when the blank discs become a lot cheaper, I won't need to upgrade the drive to burn discs if I want to.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> You are not adding more wear and tear to the drive anyways since the drive has two separate laser for DVD and bLu-ray.

Discs don't spin by magic.

But to each their own.

PS. 8x -> 12x only saves you around 2-3 minutes, since it's not CLV.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)