None
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
See, all you had to do was ask.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
R E F U N D
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
Iamashill wrote: So I managed to get it fixed.

Went to another Hyundai dealership and one of the employees mentioned to me over the years there was an issue where if you used certain characters in Bluetooth profile names, the head unit wouldn't pair the two properly.

I was like huh that's crazy, it cannot be that simple.

So today I tried it out of curiosity, changed the vehicle's bluetooth name from ELANTRA to ELANTRAafgd and removed the space out of my phone's bluetooth name and sure enough, the two now re-pair every time without delay.

Wow. Unbelievable.
There's always a solution, stay positive bro. I understand that you spend lots of money for a product that doesn't satisfy you entirely can be very frustrating, i was in the same boat as you few years ago, but stay cool and keep looking for an answer to your issue with a positive attitite and everything will be allright man.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
OP, next time, first thing first, before asking here, threatening to return the car (that is obviously not the way it works) telling you'll call CBC ( sorry, they won' give a s**t about a bluetooth issue on a brand new car) you shoul have called Hyundai, or, at least, read the owner manual... Glad the issue been fixed. ;)
Oct 18, 2009
122 posts
128 upvotes
Iamashill wrote: So I managed to get it fixed.

Went to another Hyundai dealership and one of the employees mentioned to me over the years there was an issue where if you used certain characters in Bluetooth profile names, the head unit wouldn't pair the two properly.

I was like huh that's crazy, it cannot be that simple.

So today I tried it out of curiosity, changed the vehicle's bluetooth name from ELANTRA to ELANTRAafgd and removed the space out of my phone's bluetooth name and sure enough, the two now re-pair every time without delay.

Wow. Unbelievable.
Seriously?! I've had this BT issue for the past few years in my 2013 Elantra where my BT connects 50% of the time ever since I got a new android phone. Eventually it does pair after I turn the bluetooth on my android phone on and off for a few minutes. I've googled everywhere with no solutions mentioned. I'm gonna try changing the bluetooth's name after work and see if it works... The BT name for my phone is Elantra GT so there is a space in it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
good thing he did not buy a porsche ... otherwise, OP could have done this ...

Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
booblehead wrote: good thing he did not buy a porsche ... otherwise, OP could have done this ...

Really? That is one of an unsatisfied customer! Lolll
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
newsletter wrote:
Seriously?! I've had this BT issue for the past few years in my 2013 Elantra where my BT connects 50% of the time ever since I got a new android phone. Eventually it does pair after I turn the bluetooth on my android phone on and off for a few minutes. I've googled everywhere with no solutions mentioned. I'm gonna try changing the bluetooth's name after work and see if it works... The BT name for my phone is Elantra GT so there is a space in it.
I suspect the head unit has awfully designed software because the service rep also told me that 'only certain phones are compatible with the head unit'. That sounds ridiculous because all Bluetooth phones should be compatible if they are running on a modern version of Android or are an iPhone.

Try removing any spaces, numbers and special characters such as underscores etc in both your phone name and the head unit's name and the two should automatically pair without issue.

You can also ask Hyundai dealerships to check your VIN for any software updates too.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
lol, so OP, you going to run out and by that luxo barge still?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
OP, will you sue for pain and suffering?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, did you test this with different phones on Oreo? It is a known problem that Oreo messes up bluetooth connections. Ever since my LG G6 updated to Oreo, my bluetooth connection to my BMW is messed up. The radio would not display spotify metadata properly and would either display "unknown artist" or get stuck on the first song's metadata.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2087 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
Lol Hyundai. You get what you pay for. My phone's bluetooth name is dassub's moto (oh no, an apostrophe and a space!) and my F30 BMW and wife's Mazda 3 connects juuuuust fine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Iamashill wrote: Because I made them unlock multiple Elantras on the lot to check. I also checked multiple Santa Fes on their lot. Every single Elantra I tested had the exact same issue. The Santa Fes did not have the same issue nor could duplicate the issue. That's not a coincidence.

It's not my phone, that's just garbage. Bluetooth on modern phones all work the same.

They're opened a case with Hyundai Canada.

The dealership is frankly a joke. They acted like it's not a big deal and that Bluetooth communication isn't necessary.

The dealership manager told me they could buy back the vehicle but I'd lose the $1500 freight charge and the tax ($3000ish) and that I probably lose out more because the vehicle is now considered used.

I'm going to be penning an email to the CEO and regional VPs of Hyundai Canada shortly.

What a rubbish brand
Sadly, it took a visit to a second dealer to figure out something that is a known issue. Sadder, that the first dealer didn’t figure it out after multiple pairing attempts. Saddest of all, with a known limitation like that, Hyundai shouldn’t ship the vehicles with a default setting that won’t work on all phones and they failed to mention any such limitations in the manual.
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
koffey wrote: lol, so OP, you going to run out and by that luxo barge still?
At some point in the future, yes. When I can find a decent CPO of the specific brand I want which I haven't been able to find recently.
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
dassub wrote: Lol Hyundai. You get what you pay for. My phone's bluetooth name is dassub's moto (oh no, an apostrophe and a space!) and my F30 BMW and wife's Mazda 3 connects juuuuust fine.
Mazda is the equivalent of Hyundai and probably worse of a brand than Hyundai. At least Hyundais don't rust within 36 months of ownership.
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Sadly, it took a visit to a second dealer to figure out something that is a known issue. Sadder, that the first dealer didn’t figure it out after multiple pairing attempts. Saddest of all, with a known limitation like that, Hyundai shouldn’t ship the vehicles with a default setting that won’t work on all phones and they failed to mention any such limitations in the manual.
I definitely will not be buying Hyundai again based upon this issue and the disastrous customer service I received at the first dealership.

I mean, they're great in the snow and are more bang for your buck than the equivalent models like the Cruze, Jetta, Civic etc but this left a bad taste in my mouth over what shouldn't be an issue in the first place. If it's a known issue that they haven't fixed, all their dealerships should at least be made aware so they can inform customers or rectify it at the dealership during delivery.

But it sounds like a problem they'd known about for years and somehow hasn't been corrected.

Anyway I plan to trade it in within 12-24 months or sooner depending on if I can find the vehicle I actually want.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Iamashill wrote: I definitely will not be buying Hyundai again based upon this issue and the disastrous customer service I received at the first dealership.

I mean, they're great in the snow and are more bang for your buck than the equivalent models like the Cruze, Jetta, Civic etc but this left a bad taste in my mouth over what shouldn't be an issue in the first place. If it's a known issue that they haven't fixed, all their dealerships should at least be made aware so they can inform customers or rectify it at the dealership during delivery.

But it sounds like a problem they'd known about for years and somehow hasn't been corrected.

Anyway I plan to trade it in within 12-24 months or sooner depending on if I can find the vehicle I actually want.
It sucks that it's a known issue and you weren't told before hand, that being said, you can put in an Android Auto / Apple Car Play compatible radio for under a grand fairly easily which should also keep the steering wheel controls. I swapped out my own radio that I got on Ebay. It cost me around $380 total.

Seems like a much cheaper option than getting fleeced trading your vehicle in.

You could do it even cheaper if all you care about its BT audio.
Heck, you could even purchase a $15 adapter online and do it that way.

Sorry $22 USD, I used this for a solid 6 months before I got an Android Auto HU (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU ... UTF8&psc=1)
Jul 17, 2018
372 posts
117 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
It sucks that it's a known issue and you weren't told before hand, that being said, you can put in an Android Auto / Apple Car Play compatible radio for under a grand fairly easily which should also keep the steering wheel controls. I swapped out my own radio that I got on Ebay. It cost me around $380 total.

Seems like a much cheaper option than getting fleeced trading your vehicle in.

You could do it even cheaper if all you care about its BT audio.
Heck, you could even purchase a $15 adapter online and do it that way.

Sorry $22 USD, I used this for a solid 6 months before I got an Android Auto HU (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU ... UTF8&psc=1)
Oh it has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I just don't like using it. I prefer Google Maps Navigation on my windshield using my phone in a holder.