Hot Deals

[BMO] AIR MILES WORLD ELITE MC, 3000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months + companion flight rebate, FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 1:38 pm
Mar 4, 2007
381 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
What is the best way to reach Onyx status with credit cards after meeting min. spend on this card? I was thinking of applying for the AMEX Airmiles Platinum card through GCR to get 2000 AMs.

BMO WE Airmiles: 3000+300(from min. spend) = 3300
AMEX Plat. AM card: 2000+150= 2150

That will leave a total of 5450 AMs and 550 AM short of reaching Onyx. Any suggestions?
Nov 23, 2018
78 posts
54 upvotes
Siralex wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 2:51 pm
What is the best way to reach Onyx status with credit cards after meeting min. spend on this card? I was thinking of applying for the AMEX Airmiles Platinum card through GCR to get 2000 AMs.

BMO WE Airmiles: 3000+300(from min. spend) = 3300
AMEX Plat. AM card: 2000+150= 2150

That will leave a total of 5450 AMs and 550 AM short of reaching Onyx. Any suggestions?
Sobeys Blue Fridays- usually once per month...and Shop the block that will be sometimes in March...
Oct 23, 2018
58 posts
12 upvotes
Does anyone have any good examples of using the free companion flight and the cents per miles that they got? I know you can usually get good CPM values on last minute travel but I've worked through a few examples of flights that are not last minute and because many of the flights end up involving Air Canada the taxes and fees are always high and I struggle to get better than 12 CPM. I guess that would double to 24 CPM if you used the free companion flight but I would be hoping for a bit better.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1714 posts
411 upvotes
danobrien wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 5:29 pm
Does anyone have any good examples of using the free companion flight and the cents per miles that they got? I know you can usually get good CPM values on last minute travel but I've worked through a few examples of flights that are not last minute and because many of the flights end up involving Air Canada the taxes and fees are always high and I struggle to get better than 12 CPM. I guess that would double to 24 CPM if you used the free companion flight but I would be hoping for a bit better.
I've never gotten better than 12 cents/mile on the flights that I've booked, aside from using this voucher, which is why I've just switched to cash from dream. Using this companion voucher for 2 flights to Mexico was 4800 miles and $410 in tax (used 9600 and they refunded me 4800 a couple weeks later). The ticket by itself would have been $654, so using the companion voucher got me 18.7 cents/mile
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1677 posts
183 upvotes
St. Johns
So for the free companion flight, do you need to do anything in particular while booking the flight to ensure you get the refund on the second flight?

Also reference CPM:
Two tickets from YYT-YHZ is about 17.82 cents/mile
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1820 posts
951 upvotes
montreal
No.
You just booked like if there wasnt anything special and youll get the refund for 1 ticket later.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1677 posts
183 upvotes
St. Johns
superbigjay wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:26 pm
No.
You just booked like if there wasnt anything special and youll get the refund for 1 ticket later.
thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2458 posts
73 upvotes
did a nice redemption for a flight to New Orleans for me and my partner a few weeks ago after getting this card.

Original price was 2800AM per person w/ $157 in fees. Regular price for that flight was $808 at the time of purchase. it's gone up to $893 since then.

w/ the 15% off miles and companion fare thanks to the card, it came out to 2380AM for 2 people and $315 in fees making it 54.7 cents/mile. Used my Scotia Passport visa to pay for the fees, so hopefully it'll be coded as travel and i can use those point to cover that charge, making the flight fully free.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6063 posts
436 upvotes
TO
smuncky wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:27 pm
did a nice redemption for a flight to New Orleans for me and my partner a few weeks ago after getting this card.

Original price was 2800AM per person w/ $157 in fees. Regular price for that flight was $808 at the time of purchase. it's gone up to $893 since then.

w/ the 15% off miles and companion fare thanks to the card, it came out to 2380AM for 2 people and $315 in fees making it 54.7 cents/mile. Used my Scotia Passport visa to pay for the fees, so hopefully it'll be coded as travel and i can use those point to cover that charge, making the flight fully free.
Nicely done. I just took the cash miles and have only been using it during metro or Sobeys 25/50 bam days. Metro one is better as it yields .22 cents an airmiles.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)
Oct 23, 2018
58 posts
12 upvotes
cbt123 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:42 pm
I've never gotten better than 12 cents/mile on the flights that I've booked, aside from using this voucher, which is why I've just switched to cash from dream. Using this companion voucher for 2 flights to Mexico was 4800 miles and $410 in tax (used 9600 and they refunded me 4800 a couple weeks later). The ticket by itself would have been $654, so using the companion voucher got me 18.7 cents/mile
RyanS219 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 7:52 pm
Also reference CPM:
Two tickets from YYT-YHZ is about 17.82 cents/mile
I've just done the opposite, switched from cash to dream. I rent cars quite often and I can usually get around 16 CPM on them with Airmiles so I figured it was a good option. I was thinking along the lines of somewhere similar, the Caribbean or Central America. I guess the first thing that popped into my mind was book the flight that uses up every single mile I have to maximise the companion voucher. However it would appear that the best value is probably with domestic / short-haul flights where the cash prices are high due to zero competition on the route. There doesn't seem to be any good deals when you venture outside of North America using Airmiles.
smuncky wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:27 pm

Nice indeed, that must have been a last minute / peak season flight at approx. $800?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7713 posts
2122 upvotes
Toronto
danobrien wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:45 am
I've just done the opposite, switched from cash to dream. I rent cars quite often and I can usually get around 16 CPM on them with Airmiles so I figured it was a good option.
It can be good value on car rental. Just keep in mind because you are not paying for the rental using a premium card, you won't get the insurance coverage (of the premium CC). This is where if you get "Touring option" on your own car insurance, it'd also cover rentals.
Oct 23, 2018
58 posts
12 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:02 pm
It can be good value on car rental. Just keep in mind because you are not paying for the rental using a premium card, you won't get the insurance coverage (of the premium CC). This is where if you get "Touring option" on your own car insurance, it'd also cover rentals.
That never crossed my mind! I was just actually about to book a car using Turo over the weekend as it was cheaper but decided against it as I wouldn't have my CC's CDW cover. I don't have my own car so I don't have car insurance. I guess I could look into an annual CDW policy with a third party but that would probably eliminate any savings I make using AMs. I'm probably better off sticking with a traditional car rental and using my CC'c CDW. I'll look into it, thanks for pointing that out!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2458 posts
73 upvotes
danobrien wrote:
I've just done the opposite, switched from cash to dream. I rent cars quite often and I can usually get around 16 CPM on them with Airmiles so I figured it was a good option. I was thinking along the lines of somewhere similar, the Caribbean or Central America. I guess the first thing that popped into my mind was book the flight that uses up every single mile I have to maximise the companion voucher. However it would appear that the best value is probably with domestic / short-haul flights where the cash prices are high due to zero competition on the route. There doesn't seem to be any good deals when you venture outside of North America using Airmiles.

Nice indeed, that must have been a last minute / peak season flight at approx. $800?
This was about 2.5 months out. Going on easter long weekend which is mid-to-late april.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7988 posts
1778 upvotes
danobrien wrote:

If you want to venture outside NA with Dream Miles you should get the AMEX reserve card, which has something called Flex Fly, with a conversion rate of 770 dream miles to $100. I used approximately 9700 dream miles for a free ticket to India, no other taxes were charged. The cost of the ticket would have been $1259.
Ask me about the AMEX Air Miles Reserve Credit Card. A much better way to redeem your Dream Air Miles.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

pigletfy, PeterD14152