Hot Deals

[BMO] BMO World Elite Mastercard - FYF+20K Points Promotion!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 11:50 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
35993 posts
3160 upvotes
Markham
slowtyper wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 11:50 pm
Is option 2 still available for free card? It says may 31 expiry but the link seems to work.

Also can passes be gifted to someone you aren't travelling with?

Are babies free to enter the lounge?

Finally...is there a best order to apply for bank acct and credit card in order to maximize bonus?
Yes, it was extended to Aug 31st, i just didnt update the OP..oops :D (now updated)

No. You have to be there in order to share the passes

Well, I would say yes, but it really depends on the lounge.

No.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 9, 2014
198 posts
87 upvotes
Ottawa
BEWARE the BMO Rewards website is poorly managed. Crashes often, and often more expensive than Expedia. They also always charge a minimum $25 cancellation fee.
Jul 25, 2017
3 posts
I compared rewards site and google flight on some flights, prices are same. Not sure about hotel, but I think I can use all points on flights only
Nov 30, 2016
91 posts
24 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 11:50 pm
Are babies free to enter the lounge?
I know places like the No.1 Lounge in London Gatwick has the general lounge area and then the "library" quiet area where kids aren't allowed.
Mar 25, 2005
122 posts
Richmond Hill
ace604 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 1:04 pm
My first thought is - if you since you are an existing BMO customer you aren't eligible for the Bank Unlimited Plan (and neither is anyone who was a customer in 2017).

If your spouse is not a BMO customer (and hasn't been in 2017) you could get them to do it. If you are happy with the card, $50/yr is cheaper ongoing than $89/yr MBNA or $150/yr Cap1 (both free supplemental cards).
It's not cheaper than churning those cards (even as slow as every 2-3 years) though since they have signup bonuses that are larger than the fees.
$89/yr MBNA $100 bonus makes card "free" first year and $78 2nd year.
$150/yr Cap1 $400 bonus makes card "free" for 2 years and $50 3rd year.

Cap1 lets you transfer points. You could get a card, then your spouse 35 months later, transfer points to them and cancel your card. Then you are paying $50 for 3 years.

Or you can dial this up to annually if willing to and get paid to use the card.

It depends on your style.

I have both. I setup $750/pay to BMO. $750/semi-monthly gets pulled out to EQ. The money is there for a couple days max. I get the lounge passes and a 2% backup card.
I have the Cap1 grandfathered for $20 net fee, and my spouse has the current Cap1 one for $150 - $400 bonus that we will transfer points back to mine and cancel before anniversary.
Please elaborate more how to set up "I have both. I set up $750/pay to BMO. $750/semi-monthly gets pulled out to EQ. The money is there for a couple days max. I get the lounge passes and a 2% backup card."
Thanks
Mar 9, 2014
198 posts
87 upvotes
Ottawa
ccylyl wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 9:27 am
I compared rewards site and google flight on some flights, prices are same. Not sure about hotel, but I think I can use all points on flights only
Sometimes it crashed when trying to book flights involving multiple airlines, or open jaws. The phone reps are also rude and pissy.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
paulblue8 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 10:09 am
Please elaborate more how to set up "I have both. I set up $750/pay to BMO. $750/semi-monthly gets pulled out to EQ. The money is there for a couple days max. I get the lounge passes and a 2% backup card."
Thanks
How to setup what exactly?

"both" was referring to both the BMO WE 2% and Cap1 WE 2%.

My BMO is just a backup, I don't use it (other than recurring $1/mo to waive bank fee).

For your paycheque see your payroll department and ask them to split your paycheque. e.g. if you have semi-monthly do first $750 of each paycheque to BMO and remainder to wherever you want it.

At EQ bank you can setup recurring transfers then for the 15th and last day of every month pulling EQ<-BMO.

I've setup auto-PAD payment of the BMO WE MC to draw from EQ as well.

You need to keep the savings account "active" as well so I have a recurring (quarterly?) $1 transfer into BMO savings from EQ (and corresponding transfer back out).

Essentially all on autopilot now and I get free lounge passes out of the deal ... and access to BMO if I need it.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Oct 22, 2015
497 posts
117 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
ace604 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 2:19 pm

You need to keep the savings account "active" as well so I have a recurring (quarterly?) $1 transfer into BMO savings from EQ (and corresponding transfer back out).
Where does it say savings need to be active?
Isn't it 1 transaction per year sufficient?

After a year of inactivity and a balance of $0 they may close account. At least that's what I understand.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
2968 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal
huntclub wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 12:00 pm
Sometimes it crashed when trying to book flights involving multiple airlines, or open jaws. The phone reps are also rude and pissy.
That hasn't been my experience - phone reps have been patient and very polite.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
35993 posts
3160 upvotes
Markham
huntclub wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 12:00 pm
GT!! wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 4:30 pm
That hasn't been my experience - phone reps have been patient and very polite.
Well YMMV i guess. The ones i have talked to are polite as well.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Mar 25, 2005
122 posts
Richmond Hill
ace604 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 2:19 pm
How to setup what exactly?

"both" was referring to both the BMO WE 2% and Cap1 WE 2%.

My BMO is just a backup, I don't use it (other than recurring $1/mo to waive bank fee).

For your paycheque see your payroll department and ask them to split your paycheque. e.g. if you have semi-monthly do first $750 of each paycheque to BMO and remainder to wherever you want it.

At EQ bank you can setup recurring transfers then for the 15th and last day of every month pulling EQ<-BMO.

I've setup auto-PAD payment of the BMO WE MC to draw from EQ as well.

Essentially all on autopilot now and I get free lounge passes out of the deal ... and access to BMO if I need it.
I don't have a regular pay check, can I set up once a month $1500 from another bank > BMO then > EQ?
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
paulblue8 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 7:08 pm
I don't have a regular pay check, can I set up once a month $1500 from another bank > BMO then > EQ?
Sure, or $375/wk, or $750 twice a month, or whatever you want ... including from EQ -> BMO and back to EQ, no other bank required.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Mar 25, 2005
122 posts
Richmond Hill
ace604 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:39 pm
Sure, or $375/wk, or $750 twice a month, or whatever you want ... including from EQ -> BMO and back to EQ, no other bank required.
Thanks for the great setup to get the free lounge passes not to mention the card has great insurance coverage with partial payment.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8649 posts
2743 upvotes
Oil Country
I previously had the BMO AirMiles World Elite Mastercard, and filled out a new application for the BMO World Elite Mastercard (not switching/upgrading). I can confirm that I received 20K points and the first year's fee will be waived. I then cancelled the BMO AirMiles World Elite Mastercard, and am being reimbursed for this year's fee, which I paid a few months back.
Last edited by fudge_u on Jul 28th, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD mods are on a power trip... how about messaging me before changing my signature. Some common courtesy would have been nice.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
35993 posts
3160 upvotes
Markham
fudge_u wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 3:44 pm
I previously had the BMO AirMiles World Elite Mastercard, and filled out a new application for the BMO World Elite Mastercard (not switching/upgrading). I can confirm that I received 20K points and the first year's fee will be waived. I then cancelled the BMO AirMIles World Elite Mastercard, and am being reimbursed for this year's fee, which I paid a few months back.
Great to hear that you got FYF and the 20k points! Will include this in the OP.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)