• Apr 23rd, 2011 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 7, 2011
32 posts
1 upvote
ontario

Bmo etf vs TD e-series

Does anyone know the differences between the two?

I see that BMO low management cost etf's cost the same as the TD e-series and they also offer alot of varieties.

I ask this question because I see lots of people discussing about the TD e-series and no body mention BMO's.

Plus BMO is running a promo for 150 cashback or something like that for 100,000 investment.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1595 posts
589 upvotes
ETF's incur a trading fee every time one is purchased or redeemed so they are generally only cost-efficient for large accounts ~$50 000+. And generally they are not for people who want to make monthly or bi-weekly contributions. Other than that I've heard they can be OK, but I think most people prefer the iShares or Vanguard versions because I think they're even cheaper and have a longer history.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
That's because if you're going ETFs there are much better options than BMO.

iShares/Vanguard/Claymore have a whole array of ETFs that have more liquidity and lower fees than BMO does. TD e-series are well talked since they are the best low-fee option for mutual funds. The second you unlock ETFs, you're not restricted to brokers and most opt for iShares/Vanguard/Claymore ETFs.

Assuming a 100K portfolio and a difference in MER of 0.4% between BMO (@ 0.5%) and Vanguard (@ 0.1%) going with non-BMO ETFs would pay out in 3.75 yrs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)