Hot Deals

[BMO] HOT! BMO World Elite 3,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles plus FREE Companion Flight Rebate, and FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2017 3:44 pm
Mar 28, 2017
56 posts
14 upvotes
More of an Airmiles question than BMO WE Airmiles... but would appreciate if someone could clarify.

I never bought into airmiles program but did see good value here so signed up for BMO airlmiles promotion. Now the question is how best to use these 3000 cash miles. I'm thinking of sobeys gift cards, but wanted to know if it is possible to use sobey's gift cards to buy other prepaid cards at sobeys (amazon, bestbuy etc.)?
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3719 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
kneedragger wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:29 pm
More of an Airmiles question than BMO WE Airmiles... but would appreciate if someone could clarify.

I never bought into airmiles program but did see good value here so signed up for BMO airlmiles promotion. Now the question is how best to use these 3000 cash miles. I'm thinking of sobeys gift cards, but wanted to know if it is possible to use sobey's gift cards to buy other prepaid cards at sobeys (amazon, bestbuy etc.)?
impe ... if you just redeem the miles for cash, then the best way is to buy grocery at stores that will let you pay with the miles at the cashier ... $10 for 95 miles ...
buying giftcards is just too much work for no added benefit/value ...

but if you are willing to do a bit more work, have a bit more patient ... and are a risk taker ... then you should try the "dream" miles ... and then redeem for airline tixes ... that's the best value if you can get it ...
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Sep 19, 2013
953 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg
kneedragger wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:29 pm

if sobeys is your grocer, then flash your air miles card every time you for groceries. if not, then filling gas at Shell is another option. conversion is 95 AM = $10.

there are a few other retailers, visit the air miles site.
Mar 28, 2017
56 posts
14 upvotes
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:44 pm
impe ... if you just redeem the miles for cash, then the best way is to buy grocery at stores that will let you pay with the miles at the cashier ... $10 for 95 miles ...
buying giftcards is just too much work for no added benefit/value ...

but if you are willing to do a bit more work, have a bit more patient ... and are a risk taker ... then you should try the "dream" miles ... and then redeem for airline tixes ... that's the best value if you can get it ...
Thanks! Is it possible to pay with the miles for an amazon gift card at sobey's? I hardly, if ever, go to sobey's so what I am really looking to do is convert cash miles to gift cards of amazon where I'll find better use of this cash.

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in framing my question earlier.
Sep 19, 2013
953 posts
275 upvotes
Winnipeg
kneedragger wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:03 pm
Thanks! Is it possible to pay with the miles for an amazon gift card at sobey's? I hardly, if ever, go to sobey's so what I am really looking to do is convert cash miles to gift cards of amazon where I'll find better use of this cash.

Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in framing my question earlier.
I dont see why not. Sobeys does not care what you have bought. You should be able to do that.
Jan 31, 2016
806 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ishak10 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:54 pm
I just booked a multi city flight from YYZ --> YVR and return from LAX --> YYZ for 3556 Miles.
How much were the taxes?
Jun 20, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
dotsandpixels wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:23 pm
How much were the taxes?
223 Total so 116/each for the both of us (I booked 2 flights for the companion rebate)
Nov 11, 2016
161 posts
84 upvotes
Halifax
Has anyone who did the 1500 AM BMO WE UPGRADE promo actually received the AM's yet ? I know I have spent the $ 1000 but I have not seen it go into my account yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1097 posts
377 upvotes
Windsor
rdiamond1 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:05 pm
Has anyone who did the 1500 AM BMO WE UPGRADE promo actually received the AM's yet ? I know I have spent the $ 1000 but I have not seen it go into my account yet.
airmiles changing 25% airmiles discount to 15% on flights...
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3719 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
taurus25 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:28 pm
airmiles changing 25% airmiles discount to 15% on flights...
link?
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1097 posts
377 upvotes
Windsor
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:31 pm
link?
Terms n Conditions ..

Effective January 15, 2018 we are changing the flight discount on flights within North America. For the AIR MILES World Elite product the benefit will be changing from 25% to 15%. The flight discount of 25% will be removed from AIR MILES World product.
Nov 11, 2016
161 posts
84 upvotes
Halifax
Darn - too bad. I upvoted you for the information but sadly the information is not the best ... we did not get much time to enjoy that 25 % off- did we?
Feb 27, 2011
168 posts
176 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Wow what a disappointment. Switched work cc for this, now they're really cutting off a major incentive. Don't like this cash grab. You'll be rebated the air miles for the free flight, but have to use it at a worse rate (15% off) later.
Would be good to know if this is only world elite m/C's or if it's all airmiles credit cards that offer discounted redemption (not sure what they all are).
Sep 25, 2004
702 posts
229 upvotes
fifi75 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:54 pm
Wow what a disappointment. Switched work cc for this, now they're really cutting off a major incentive. Don't like this cash grab. You'll be rebated the air miles for the free flight, but have to use it at a worse rate (15% off) later.
Would be good to know if this is only world elite m/C's or if it's all airmiles credit cards that offer discounted redemption (not sure what they all are).
This really has a bait and switch feel to me, especially since they're making the cutoff date the same if you've had the card for years or days. I've already noticed the difficulties to get flights at the lowest value through Air Miles (I pretty much have to use Air Miles Travel like I do for mini-RTW redemptions on Aeroplan, and search every scenario to try to build a decent value flight.) I leaned towards keeping the card for the first year only, but this now means I will definitely only keep it for one year and book the two flight pairs I am planning on by January 14th to max out the 25% and free companion flight.