Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
BMO

HOT! BMO World Elite 3,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles plus FREE Companion Flight Rebate, and FYF

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 8:34 am
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
madara wrote: Received the card today and the instruction says I have to visit a branch to activate. This is the only card I have so far that requires this. Talk about customer inconvenience. :P
I had the same. Went to a branch nearby it took 5 minutes. Not too bad.
I'm having an issue adding this card to Android Pay. I get this error:
Anyone else?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
Wizard1 wrote: Is this the first item you have with them? If it is, then it's most likely bc they want to see your ids
It doesn't matter, out of all the credit cards I applied in the past. None of them need me to go in person to activate.

I have the BMO World Elite Cash Back Card, it always give me issues.
Few months ago, they cancel my card before they mail me a new card. And when they cancel my card, it was still 2 months away from the expiry month. It caused all my pre-authorized payments to bounced. It was such a mess, I complaint and all they said was sorry for the inconvenience.

The CSR in the card center is not smart to deal with neither.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Make sure you check if they used the correct Air Miles # on the new credit card. I specifically wrote in my current old AM# when I applied, but they still generated a new one. I saw this in my BMO account online.
Sent them a message to change it and they did. Now when I log in I can see the correct AM# with the miles that I had in that old account.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
Had to call to finish activation for Android Pay. The first option thru BMO app did not work for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2265 posts
305 upvotes
Mississauga
Wizard1 wrote: Is this the first item you have with them? If it is, then it's most likely bc they want to see your ids
Yes. It is but this is also the first time I have to go to a branch to activate a credit card. I have cards with TD, SCB and CIBC.
Jun 25, 2012
123 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote: Make sure you check if they used the correct Air Miles # on the new credit card. I specifically wrote in my current old AM# when I applied, but they still generated a new one. I saw this in my BMO account online.
Sent them a message to change it and they did. Now when I log in I can see the correct AM# with the miles that I had in that old account.
Same for me, what a pain!

This whole process has been insane, I felt like a criminal applying for this card. Had to go in branch to finish the application and call BMO from a branch phone on a number they wouldn't give me "only the branch will know." when I went there everyone looked at me like a crazy person, what are you talking about? Finally someone knew who to call. Then the card came and I had to go back and do it all over again. No issuer has ever been this weird.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
ciuvak wrote: Make sure you check if they used the correct Air Miles # on the new credit card. I specifically wrote in my current old AM# when I applied, but they still generated a new one. I saw this in my BMO account online.
Do you get a online BMO account automatically to verify the AirMiles account number?
Even if you do not own a BMO bank account?
Jan 18, 2011
133 posts
376 upvotes
montreal
Got the card beginning of the week.

Here is how it went:

- Activating the card online did not work, I had to activate by calling BMO. Process was easy asked couple questions and card was activated
- Online Banking did not work. Had to go to the branch to show 2 piece of ID in order to create my Online Account (to see transactions, etc)
- ApplePay did not work immediately. I had to call BMO once again (easy process took 5-10minutes) for them to activate it, as they are saying Androidpay/Applepay couldn't be activated using the app
- still have not seen the extra 1000 AM in the account yet (been 1 week)

regardless, i got my card and everything is working now. Had to go through a couple hassle to have everything set up
Jan 18, 2011
133 posts
376 upvotes
montreal
ciuvak wrote: I had the same. Went to a branch nearby it took 5 minutes. Not too bad.
I'm having an issue adding this card to Android Pay. I get this error:
Anyone else?
Yes, you have to use the 2nd type verification (calling BMO) and it took them 5 min to activate. Seems like the process is the same for all card holders
Jan 18, 2011
133 posts
376 upvotes
montreal
superbigjay wrote: Do you get a online BMO account automatically to verify the AirMiles account number?
If you create an Online Banking Account with the credit card, once you are logged it it says on the bottom the page the amount of AM you have gained so far, your AM account number, and AM collected during the month. Thats what I did to confirm that they have put the right account number
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
superbigjay wrote: Do you get a online BMO account automatically to verify the AirMiles account number?
I used the credit card number to create a new online account. I did this after I activated the new card at the local branch. They asked for two pieces of ID to finish the activation.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
ciuvak wrote: I used the credit card number to create a new online account. I did this after I activated the new card at the local branch. They asked for two pieces of ID to finish the activation.
ok, exactly same process ...
I didn't have any BMO product, so:
- received the card with a note to activate at the local branch.
- went to local branch, showed 2 IDs to activate card (5 minutes)
- activate my online account (5 minutes)
- had to call them because they assigned a new AirMiles account instead of the existing one that was entered when registering (10 minutes).

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
superbigjay wrote: - had to call them because they assigned a new AirMiles account instead of the existing one that was entered when registering (10 minutes).
Thanks.
Last step: you could've also just email them your old Air Miles # using the secure messaging in the online account. I didn't have time to call, so just sent the AM number and they fixed it shortly after on the same day.
Feb 4, 2017
111 posts
89 upvotes
Same process for me ( I have no BMO products)

- Went to BMO branch and showed my Driver's License (she entered into system) 5 minutes
- Activate BMO online account 5 minutes
- Verified Airmiles acct # in BMO profile - same AM # when I registered

Pretty happy so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2909 posts
2565 upvotes
Surrey
Whoever got this card and wants to boost their air miles points (so you can actually get the companion flight) might want to do this:
I also applied for the american express platinum air miles card for me and also for my wife. This adds on another 2000 points each after $1500 spend on each card. These have an annual fee of$65 each but GCR gives back $50 on each application. Plus u can use the same air miles number for you and your spouse. Sorry posted link doesn't work. Just go on GCR and search Amex platinum air miles
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9524 posts
12502 upvotes
ffonly wrote: Whoever got this card and wants to boost their air miles points (so you can actually get the companion flight) might want to do this:
I also applied for the american express platinum air miles card for me and also for my wife. This adds on another 2000 points each after $1500 spend on each card. These have an annual fee of$65 each but GCR gives back $50 on each application. Plus u can use the same air miles number for you and your spouse. Sorry posted link doesn't work. Just go on GCR and search Amex platinum air miles
To be honest though..... Imo Amex is so passe, not as Widely accepted, places accepting its growing smaller, no physical branches (ignoring Bns). I have trouble finding places that I frequent that accepts it to hit that $1500 mark

I micro manage my debt, in a way that benefits me, so being able to know that my payments have an instant effect rather than a 2-3 day lag is also important

But then again that's just me and my opinion, If it works for others, more power to you.
Jan 18, 2011
133 posts
376 upvotes
montreal
How do we ensure the free companion promotion will still be valid when we actually decide to use it?

- I have not received any mention of it in the documents received with the card
- I also have yet to receive the 1000 AM after first purchase in my account

i just want to make sure I have some type of proof that there is a free companion benefit (as i wont be using it probably until summer next year) and have no documentation of it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9524 posts
12502 upvotes
phamou wrote: How do we ensure the free companion promotion will still be valid when we actually decide to use it?

i just want to make sure I have some type of proof that there is a free companion benefit (as i wont be using it probably until summer next year) and have no documentation of it.
Just print out & also save the terms and conditions page
Aug 27, 2017
33 posts
9 upvotes
Apply yesterday and need to wait 10 more days. Is applying another world elite affect application?
Jun 25, 2012
123 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
phamou wrote: How do we ensure the free companion promotion will still be valid when we actually decide to use it?

I don't think the AM post until statement date, prob a few days after. Be wise to screenshot the offer for your records, I noticed there was no mention of the companion ticket either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)