Personal Finance

BMO Mutual Funds Complete list of Holdings?

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2010 11:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2416 posts
62 upvotes
Thornhill

BMO Mutual Funds Complete list of Holdings?

Anyone know where to find the complete listings of BMO mutual funds? In particular the Equity and Dividend Fund?

The BMO website has the top ten listings, but I'm looking for a complete list of all the funds' holdings.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1149 posts
112 upvotes
Mutual funds would only give you the top holdings. They don't disclose the full list of holdings, as these are proprietary.

ETFs on the other hand fully disclose the full list of holdings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2416 posts
62 upvotes
Thornhill
dealzuser wrote:
May 12th, 2010 10:39 am
Mutual funds would only give you the top holdings. They don't disclose the full list of holdings, as these are proprietary.

ETFs on the other hand fully disclose the full list of holdings.
Proprietary? That's interesting...so even investors (of which I am one) aren't provided the complete list?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1149 posts
112 upvotes
mkerian wrote:
May 12th, 2010 10:40 am
Proprietary? That's interesting...so even investors (of which I am one) aren't provided the complete list?
Nope. They only give you a top holding list. It is proprietary as fund companies compete with each other touting their product as superior because their fund managers are superior. If they told you what they bought/sold, then why can't another company do the same?

START OF RANT

Notice how I say "product", not "investment". Most people are financially illiterate enough to only buy funds that their advisors tell them to buy. And it's always a good time to buy and it's always a long term investment. I read somewhere that the DOW has crossed 10000 points 10 times in the last decade!

Bank mutual funds are probably a bit different, as most people would buy them from a bank financial advisor, who cater to more self-serviced clients. But the latest crash (2008) has opened people's eyes. Very few were advised to sell in 2007 and they question why they continue to buy mutual funds when they must remain fully invested. (That's why even BMO and AIM Trimark are going into the ETF business. They cannibalize themselves, but they're still eating.)

END OF RANT
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2004
1149 posts
112 upvotes
YYC27 wrote:
May 12th, 2010 10:47 am
The annual reports of the funds have the full breakdown.

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/bankin ... es-reports
I stand corrected. I skimmed through the BMO Equity fund, and the allocation % add up to 99.1%. I was replying based on my experience with the Templeton funds when I owned mutual funds, and from discussion with my wife who works at a mutual fund company. I guess each company does different things.