Personal Finance

BMO: Open a Kids [sic] account and get $25, until April 30, 2012.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2012 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver

BMO: Open a Kids [sic] account and get $25, until April 30, 2012.

The grammar error in the title is BMO's, not mine.

http://www.bmo.com/home/promo/bmo/offer ... 005&rg=BMO

[QUOTE]Promotion runs from March 1 - April 30, 2012 inclusive. Bonus is applicable only to new Primary Chequing or Premium Rate Savings accounts within a new Kids Discounted Banking Plan. New accounts and plans are defined as BMO bank accounts and plans opened for and registered in the name of a child who has not had another account or plan with BMO since February 28, 2011. A deposit of $25 will be made by BMO into the lead account set up for the Kids Discounted Banking Plan within 90 days of your first deposit. Only one $25 bonus will be awarded per bank plan. Your first deposit must be a minimum of $25 and made into the lead account on or before April 30, 2012 to qualify. A balance of at least $25 must be maintained in the account for a minimum of 90 days from the date of your first deposit. "Kids" are defined as children under the age of 13. One bonus per child. Current Kids Discounted Banking Plans and U.S. Dollar accounts are not eligible for this promotion.[/QUOTE]

I opened one for my kid. It wanted to know his employment status. He's not yet one year old, so I put unemployed. (I figure I'll give it a few more months before I make him earn his rent.) Then they wanted to know what industry he works in, even though I said he was unemployed, and I didn't see anything that said "not applicable". So I said that he was a lawyer; I figure that's pretty believable because I hear the bar exam is relatively easy and infants pass it all the time.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
not a english major but is that really a grammar error?
kids account... at first i thought it should be kid's account but looking at savings account it's not saving's account...
i think kids implies kids' savings...strange but i would say kids account is okay.
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
"Kids account" means "Greater than one kid account". I only have one child, but I was still able to open an account.

They probably meant to say "Open a kid's account" which means "Open an account belonging to a kid".

I think in this context, "savings account" means a specific type of account. "Saving's account" would be incorrect because that means "account belonging to saving" or "saving is account", neither of which really make sense. "Kids account" might be argued to be correct if it was a specific type of account or brand name, but it doesn't seem to be used elsewhere in their advertising.

</irrelevant>
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
They state "under the age of 13". So if your child was 12 years and 364 days old, you could theoretically apply today and receive the bonus.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1026 posts
294 upvotes
I don't think that's necessary a grammar error. "Kids" is being used as the name of the type of account.

Let's say they have an account for John Smith. It is perfectly OK to call it the Smith account, but Smith's account is OK too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)