Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
BMO

World Elite cards - FYF, welcome bonuses $250+ with $3K spend

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2018 9:35 am
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes

[BMO] World Elite cards - FYF, welcome bonuses $250+ with $3K spend

BMO has two World Elite credit cards that are currently first year free and offer significant signup bonuses.

1) BMO World Elite AIR MILES MasterCard - First year free, $120/year thereafter, 1000 Air Miles with first purchase, 2000 Air Miles with $3000 spending on card in the first 90 days
3000 Air Miles = $315 if redeemed as Cash Miles
Also comes with Priority Pass Airport Lounge membership and 2 free lounge passes each year

2) BMO World Elite MasterCard - First year free, $150/year thereafter, 35,000 BMO Travel points with $3000 spending on card in the first 90 days
35,000 points = $250
Travel points must be spent through the BMO Travel website - good for flights, not so great for hotels
Also comes with Priority Pass Airport Lounge membership and 4 free lounge passes each year

Applying for a World Elite MasterCard requires $80K personal annual income or $150K household annual income.

Expiry date - June 28, 2018

EDIT: Several people in the thread are mentioning that these are NOT good cards to keep as everyday cards. This is true: the earn rate on the regular WE has been reduced to 1.42% on MOST categories (2.15% max), and the Air Miles WE earns 1 Air Miles per $10, so a little over 1% if Cash Miles, variable if Dream Miles. These are not good earn rates for a World Elite card at $150/$120 per year. This is a deal for the first year only, to take advantage of the sign-up bonuses and lounge passes.
Last edited by Erumuh on Feb 25th, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thread Summary
80k requirement: Add parents or a spouse to your household to make up for the income and reach 150k household income instead. Checks are made by mastercard and they don't care as this is a legal requirement because merchants complained about the rates of premium cards.
Advantages of World Elite (not airmiles):
Lounge passes, car rental insurance included up to 65k
Out of country medical insurance of 21 days
Limb insurance [50k to 100k per part including hands, eyes, arms, legs, voice, hearing] (but if you lied on income you may get dinged)
Baggage loss/ theft up to 750 per person/ 2k per trip.
Concierge service [call in and ask for them to book stuff for you or buy flowers for your wife]. Not indicated on website.
Doubles your warranty up to a maximum of 1 year extra. ( 3 months become 6 months, 1 year becomes 2)

Are these good cards for rates: No. 1.4% to 2.1% [value] for World Elite
128 replies
Jan 21, 2017
165 posts
98 upvotes
Offer not available to previous cardholders :(
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes
xnirvanafc wrote: Offer not available to previous cardholders :(
I've had the regular BMO World Elite four times and have never been turned down for the welcome bonuses. Take the fine print with a grain of salt.
If you're concerned about doing the $3K spend and then being turned down, get the Air Miles WE M/C. First purchase gives 1000 Air Miles - if you don't get that, then just cancel.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1130 posts
513 upvotes
I recently applied for the BMO AM's for myself and my spouse. I am thinking of reapplying in the future as I can easily use the AM's. Anyone tried doing it for a second time and receiving the 3000 AM's again? From OP, sounds like they don't really reinforce the other BMO Elite reapplications. So maybe it works the same with the AM's one. Although for AM's one is asked to enter AM's number so who knows if there's tracking on it. Would like to get some data on this.
Oct 24, 2017
333 posts
791 upvotes
I have the AirMiles version, and recently they changed the AirMiles savings from 25% to 15%.

In the past, having this card meant a 3000 AM trip in North America would cost you 2250 AM. Now with the same card this trip costs you 2550.

According to AM the decision was BMO’s and not AM’s. The yearly access to Premium lounges is a great perk.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2012
2949 posts
801 upvotes
Toronto
Erumuh wrote:
Expiry date - not found
BMO AIR MILES World Elite Mastercard (“Credit Card”) applications must be received between December 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018 (the “Offer Period”) to be eligible for the following Bonus Miles and Annual Fee Waiver offers (each an “Offer” and collectively the “Offers”):
May 29, 2015
189 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lol i always backed away from these cards because of the income clause... you guys are rich..
Oct 1, 2007
303 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
If I don't travel, should the "world elite" a better choice?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1693 posts
1946 upvotes
vancouver
Can you get one, get the bonus, then product switch to the other one to get both bonuses? :D
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
If redeeming air miles cash at say Metro, what percentage would the we am card be? 2? I know they nerfed the world elite travel MasterCard down to 1.6%
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1541 posts
385 upvotes
canada5dollarbill wrote: I have the AirMiles version, and recently they changed the AirMiles savings from 25% to 15%.

In the past, having this card meant a 3000 AM trip in North America would cost you 2250 AM. Now with the same card this trip costs you 2550.

According to AM the decision was BMO’s and not AM’s. The yearly access to Premium lounges is a great perk.
I think you get to go to it only 4 times which kind of blows.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2388 posts
2200 upvotes
blackpianist wrote: lol i always backed away from these cards because of the income clause... you guys are rich..
I could be wrong, but 99% of the time you aren't asked to show income verification...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 22, 2003
6429 posts
2212 upvotes
anyone have luck switching from one card to the other and still getting the welcome bonus?
Sep 1, 2015
48 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary, AB
How picky are they about 80k income? My t4 only shows 60k of basic salary but I have bonus paid that doesn't show on my income source as it goes directly to RSP. I have a good credit score.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3567 posts
3194 upvotes
Erumuh wrote:
BMO World Elite MasterCard - First year free, $150/year thereafter, 35,000 BMO Travel points with $3000 spending on card in the first 90 days
35,000 points = $250
Travel points must be spent through the BMO Travel website - good for flights, not so great for hotels
Also comes with Priority Pass Airport Lounge membership and 4 free lounge passes each year
Literally cancelled this card yesterday. The points aren't worth the 2% they used to be after the recent devaluation (I think it is only 1.6% return or something and must be used on through their site). Lots of information about it on the RFD Finance section somewhere.

Since they devalued the points the MBNA Rewards World Elite at FULL 2% cash back with only $89 annual fee is far superior. There is a $100 credit on your first purchase that covers the annual fee for the first year.

https://rewards.mbna.ca/worldelite?src=DAAU81
EDIT: Your personal annual income must be greater than $80,000, or your household annual income must be $150,000 or greater.
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes
Third Eye wrote: Literally cancelled this card yesterday. The points aren't worth the 2% they used to be after the recent devaluation (I think it is only 1.6% return or something and must be used on through their site). Lots of information about it on the RFD Finance section somewhere.

Since they devalued the points the MBNA Rewards World Elite at FULL 2% cash back with only $89 annual fee is far superior. There is a $100 credit on your first purchase that covers the annual fee for the first year.
I agree that these cards are not best in class for keeping long-term, and I share your annoyance with the requirement on the WE that the points be redeemed through their (kind of crappy) website.

That being said, these sign-up bonuses are worthwhile incentives and some people love getting free airport lounge access, so this deal should appeal to some RFDers.
Mar 26, 2015
237 posts
100 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Currently I have the points one, it’s been great but now I would like the Airmiles.

If I call them would I be able to switch and get the benefits?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3567 posts
3194 upvotes
Erumuh wrote: That being said, these sign-up bonuses are worthwhile incentives and some people love getting free airport lounge access, so this deal should appeal to some RFDers.
I LOVED the lounge access and the signup bonuses are worth it. If you plan to keep it for just the one year it is not a bad idea.

As someone who will only hold one Credit Card regardless of incentives it is not a good long term plan.

Thank you for posting and I hope some people enjoy the benefits (for one year only, lol).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)