Credit Cards

BMO World Elite Mastercard - Devaluation May 5th, No Plaza Premium access July 1st

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2023 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
angel_wing0 wrote: +1, the old and new designs are there.

I like the old logo and the old wording more. Personal choice.
Card I received a week or so ago is old design except the 4 "wave" lines are to left of bottom right MasterCard logo.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1914 upvotes
TO
so no datapoint here whatsoever on folks who had this card before and re-applied and got the bonus? #notChurnFriendly
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Dec 30, 2012
496 posts
1102 upvotes
SURREY
Very odd. I applied for the card online on July 16th and got approved right away. That same day, they sent me and email congratulating me and to expect the card 8-10 business days. It's now only been 5 days.

Today (July 21), they emailed me again saying I've been approved and that my card is on its way. Expect it to be 7-10 business days (again?).

Has this happend to anyone else? See screenshot below.
Images
  • 20170721_141909.png
  • Screenshot_20170721-141953.png
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1284 posts
1568 upvotes
Kitchener
I signed up.
Was instantly approved for a pretty high credit limit.
Application process is actually the fastest and most slick of any bank/cc i've ever signed up for (and did several recently). Was instant access to the account in minutes and got the CC relatively fast.

Was an issue a cpl weeks later after I got the debit card in the mail and up set up my payroll DD: It bounced and I couldn't access the account online. Went into a branch, they said I needed to provide some ID (No where was that mentioned though I know it's standard, they never asked). I did so, and was fixed in a day. I might call to see if I can get the reward points.

Imo this is a very killer deal if you can easily meet the reqs (super easy for me, my jobs payroll is all handled online, and can be split as among lots of accounts, so setting it to be 1500 is easy). Why:
- Even if you don't like the best cards (world elite - $150/yr card but thats waived) basic stuff, it gives you priority pass - worth over 200 usd a year. And it includes guest passes/discounts, unlike crap cards like TD aeropelans infinite. And it otherwise has the standard top tier insurance stuff. Pretty awesome for a card that will be awesome and has no requirements other than 1 use a month.
- No fees, ever, with no minimum balance req. None of the other 5 big banks can match this. Can save you tons over a long time. Doesn't list any limits either, so in perpetuity.
- Free eTransfers (some other banks have this but not all)

Cons:
- Cards points are the scam type. "2% on everything" is really 1% unless you like there travel options since the best redemption options are about double the points to dollar value. Though the travel options aren't bad, and they price match some other good travel services.
- No remote cheque deposit via app. Doesn't really affect me but maybe some. (Maybe coming soon?)
- No samsung pay (seems to have nice offers, hopefully coming soon too - currently in beta just for CIBC)
Apr 9, 2012
256 posts
170 upvotes
I have Premium Chequing with BMO and eligible for the annual fee rebate. When I got the card last year, I remember being charged the annual fee on my first statement and being credited the 150 a couple of months later. My 1 year is coming up. Will it work the same way and I will be credited the 150 a couple of months later?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
michaelr16 wrote: I have Premium Chequing with BMO and eligible for the annual fee rebate. When I got the card last year, I remember being charged the annual fee on my first statement and being credited the 150 a couple of months later. My 1 year is coming up. Will it work the same way and I will be credited the 150 a couple of months later?
Good question actually, i believe this is the first time this has happened. My guess it it will be the same (charge/pay first, get rebated later). Or you can call BMO and ask.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1375 posts
1868 upvotes
Grande Prairie, AB
Did anyone else have to physically go to the branch to activate? First one I've had where I couldn't activate over the phone. I work most of the hours they are open here so pretty inconvenient...
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
seagull1987 wrote: Did anyone else have to physically go to the branch to activate? First one I've had where I couldn't activate over the phone. I work most of the hours they are open here so pretty inconvenient...
If a phone rep says u have to go to a branch, then u dont have a choice.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1375 posts
1868 upvotes
Grande Prairie, AB
angel_wing0 wrote: If a phone rep says u have to go to a branch, then u dont have a choice.
Seems like a sly way of getting you into the branch to offer you other products...
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
seagull1987 wrote: Seems like a sly way of getting you into the branch to offer you other products...
That will happen only if the reps cant verify your identity on the phone for whatever reason (then the branch needs to verify you with id/proof of address/etc), so it's pretty rare tbh.
Oct 21, 2009
95 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
michaelr16 wrote: I have Premium Chequing with BMO and eligible for the annual fee rebate. When I got the card last year, I remember being charged the annual fee on my first statement and being credited the 150 a couple of months later. My 1 year is coming up. Will it work the same way and I will be credited the 150 a couple of months later?
I got charged and ~ 3 months/statements later the fee was reimbursed.
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5147 posts
5847 upvotes
Montreal
If you have BMO premium chequing account and see the $150 charge, you could secure message / call BMO to credit back right away. They did that for me last time.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
X360 wrote: If you have BMO premium chequing account and see the $150 charge, you could secure message / call BMO to credit back right away. They did that for me last time.
dudemiller wrote: I got charged and ~ 3 months/statements later the fee was reimbursed.
Yup, I messaged and was told it would be reimbursed two months later or so.. and it was.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
X360 wrote: If you have BMO premium chequing account and see the $150 charge, you could secure message / call BMO to credit back right away. They did that for me last time.
Looks ymmv, but worth a try imo
Nov 26, 2015
26 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Question:
With a BMO Premium Banking plan, is the annual fee on the credit card waived each year, or just 1 year?

Thanks!
Nov 26, 2015
26 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal, QC
angel_wing0 wrote: Every year.
Great. Calling tomorrow to switch. Currently paying 10.95 monthly for a similar account at RBC, and 120/year for the similar travel credit card.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
seagull1987 wrote: Did anyone else have to physically go to the branch to activate? First one I've had where I couldn't activate over the phone. I work most of the hours they are open here so pretty inconvenient...
seagull1987 wrote: Seems like a sly way of getting you into the branch to offer you other products...
My card arrived at my home with a sticker on it that said to go to the branch to activate (you know the stickers that normally list phone # & website to activate :))

If you get 'chosen' for this you can't activate without going to branch.

I did it at the teller. Zero up sell, they just activated the card for me after verifying ID.
Much better process than Scotia which required arranging a meeting with a rep.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)