Credit Cards

BMO World Elite Mastercard - Devaluation starts today!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 3:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
36652 posts
3382 upvotes
Markham
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 2:24 pm
just leave it in a drawer and use it on apple/android pay. That's what I'm doing. Though, mine is free with bankup promo. not sure if yours is.
Obviously mine wasnt, else i wouldnt need to get the AF waived.
john.canad wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:16 pm
No credit as in there is a negative balance on my card. I don't know if spending this negative balance will earn me points
OK, of course you will earn points.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6427 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto, ON
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:07 pm
I will have a 4 card setup now: Restaurants/Travel/Entertainment - BMO RWE (2.14% Travel CB), Gas/Groceries/Recurring - TD CB Infinite (3% CB), Foreign stuff - Rogers CB (1.50% Net CB), Everything else - MBNA RWE (2% CB).
Why not add, say, the Costco CapOne MC and get 3% on restaurants?
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
36652 posts
3382 upvotes
Markham
VivienM wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 12:50 pm
Why not add, say, the Costco CapOne MC and get 3% on restaurants?
Good point, but the thing is I am not a costco member and have no intention to be one.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1049 posts
177 upvotes
Mississauga
angel_wing0 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:31 pm
Obviously mine wasnt, else i wouldnt need to get the AF waived.

You don't have the bmo premium chequing account to reimburse the AF?
Restaurants/Travel/Entertainment - BMO RWE (2.14% Travel CB)
Gas/Groceries/Recurring - TD CB Infinite (3% CB)
Foreign stuff - Rogers CB (1.50% Net CB)
Everything else - MBNA RWE (2% CB)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4348 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
khkchan wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:04 pm
I think BMO is the only card where they give you trip insurances even though you charge your trip partially on the BMO card.

Given the 2.14% return on trips with insurance package, I think it's still the best deal in Canada.
A lot of people on here either don't care for, or don't understand that this card is one of the best-insured cards in the Canadian market. It has coverage that not even Amex cards have.

What I don't like is how BMO is making it seem like the devaluation is actually an upgrade. I work with a lot of marketing people so I understand that's how it goes but call a rotten egg rotten when it comes to bad news. Simple and straight.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'11 Rome 390 Boss Black
'08 K2 T1
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
36652 posts
3382 upvotes
Markham
jdu0ng wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:08 pm

You don't have the bmo premium chequing account to reimburse the AF?
no.
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:09 pm
What I don't like is how BMO is making it seem like the devaluation is actually an upgrade. I work with a lot of marketing people so I understand that's how it goes but call a rotten egg rotten when it comes to bad news. Simple and straight.
+1.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Oct 1, 2008
96 posts
48 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:09 pm
A lot of people on here either don't care for, or don't understand that this card is one of the best-insured cards in the Canadian market. It has coverage that not even Amex cards have.

My Amex Cobalt covers me for 5 million 21 days where the BMO is 2 million. The Amex doesn't require me to book the trip on the card for the out of province coverage where as the BMO requires partial. How is this the best insurance coverage for Canadian cards?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2840 posts
770 upvotes
forexnut wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:15 pm
My Amex Cobalt covers me for 5 million 21 days where the BMO is 2 million. The Amex doesn't require me to book the trip on the card for the out of province coverage where as the BMO requires partial. How is this the best insurance coverage for Canadian cards?
Are you talking about emergency medical insurance?
Neither require you to book on the card.

You qualify as long as you are a card holder.

The partial charge requirement is for TRIP cancellation / interruption
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4348 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
forexnut wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:15 pm
https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/credit-card-insurance/

Amex Cobalt

Extended Warranty 1 year
Purchase Protection 90 days
Travel Accident $250,000
Emergency Medical 15 days
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $500
Lost or Stolen Baggage $500
Hotel Burglary $500
Rental Car Theft & Damage

BMO World Elite

Extended Warranty 1 year
Travel Accident $500,000
Emergency Medical 21 days
Trip Cancellation $2,500
Trip Interruption $2,000
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $200
Lost or Stolen Baggage $750
Personal Effects $750
Hotel Burglary $750
Rental Car Accident $200,000

Extended Warranty 1 year
Travel Accident $500,000
Trip Cancellation $2,500
Trip Interruption $2,000
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $200
Personal Effects $750
Hotel Burglary $750
Rental Car Personal Effects $1,000

These two are the main ones. If you have your property stolen out of a rental car (which happens a lot in countries in Latin America.) Or Personal Effects insurance, which is camera or personal property like a camera or phone or laptop that you lose or is destroyed at any point during your trip. It's covered,
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'11 Rome 390 Boss Black
'08 K2 T1
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1820 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
On the topic of rental car theft or personal effects insurance.....does anyone have any experience how to deal with it? We had a lot of stuff stolen from a rental car in LA and our personal insurance required so much deductible that it really wasn't worth claiming and increasing premiums down the road. What does one need in order to prove something was damaged or stolen?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1652 posts
313 upvotes
Vancouver
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:42 pm
https://creditcardgenius.ca/blog/credit-card-insurance/

Amex Cobalt

Extended Warranty 1 year
Travel Accident $250,000
Emergency Medical 15 days
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $500
Lost or Stolen Baggage $500
Hotel Burglary $500

BMO World Elite

Extended Warranty 1 year
Travel Accident $500,000
Trip Cancellation $2,500
Trip Interruption $2,000
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $200
Personal Effects $750
Hotel Burglary $750

Extended Warranty 1 year
Travel Accident $500,000
Trip Cancellation $2,500
Trip Interruption $2,000
Flight Delay $500
Baggage Delay $200
Personal Effects $750
Hotel Burglary $750
Rental Car Personal Effects $1,000

These two are the main ones. If you have your property stolen out of a rental car (which happens a lot in countries in Latin America.) Or Personal Effects insurance, which is camera or personal property like a camera or phone or laptop that you lose or is destroyed at any point during your trip. It's covered,
Do those two require you to book the full trip to the card?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4348 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
john.canad wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:37 pm
Do those two require you to book the full trip to the card?
Coverage Eligibility
Coverage applies only when You charge the full or partial cost of Your Trip to the Primary or Family
Cardholder’s MasterCard prior to departure.
Insured Person means the Primary Cardholder, Spouse and/or Dependent Child(ren).
Coverage Period
Coverage begins at the time of Your departure on Your Trip. Coverage ends at the time of Your return to
Your original point of departure.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'11 Rome 390 Boss Black
'08 K2 T1
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
36652 posts
3382 upvotes
Markham
sundawner1 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 11:53 pm
Is Uber/ Lyft covered under Travel Category?
better to ask bmo.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2212 posts
710 upvotes
loonie wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 8:45 pm
On the topic of rental car theft or personal effects insurance.....does anyone have any experience how to deal with it? We had a lot of stuff stolen from a rental car in LA and our personal insurance required so much deductible that it really wasn't worth claiming and increasing premiums down the road. What does one need in order to prove something was damaged or stolen?
Flip your card over and call the number. You will then be redirected to Allianz Global. I would suggest doing this as quickly as possible. link to the pdf

4.1.3 Car Rental Personal Effects Benefits The coverage outlined in this Policy of Insurance is provided to all eligible Bank of Montreal MasterCard Cardholders by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company (Canadian Branch). Your individual policy number is the last four (4) digits of your MasterCard card number. Insured Person means the Primary Cardholder, his/her Spouse and Dependent Child(ren) travelling with the Primary Cardholder or Family Cardholder who has rented the Rental Car. Coverage Benefits This Personal Effects insurance covers theft or damage to Personal Effects belonging to an Insured Person while such Personal Effects are in a Rental Car during a Trip for the duration of an eligible rental period.
Coverage during such rental period will be the Actual Cash Value of Your Personal Effects up to a maximum of $1,000 for each Insured Person, per occurrence. Total benefits during each rental period are limited to $2,000 per Account. Please see section 4.1.4 for applicable exclusions and limitations.
4.1.4.3 Car Rental Personal Effects Benefits Exclusions and Limitations In addition to the General Car Rental Benefits Exclusions and Limitations, these specific exclusions and limitations apply to this Personal Effects insurance.
• Personal Effects do not include money (whether paper or coin), tickets, consumable or perishable goods, bullion, banknotes, negotiable instruments or other numismatic property.
• Benefits are not paid if loss results from Mysterious Disappearance.
Reasonable effort must have been made by the Insured Person to protect their Personal Effects (e.g. locking Your Personal Effects in the trunk of the Rental Car instead of the front or back seat). If claiming as a result of theft, evidence of forcible entry into the vehicle while all its doors, windows and other openings are closed and locked must be submitted.
• Personal Effects coverage is in excess of all other applicable valid insurance, indemnity or protection available to the Insured Person in respect of the item subject to the claim. We will be liable only for the excess of the amount of the loss or damage over the amount covered under such other insurance, indemnity or protection and for the amount of any applicable deductible, only if all other insurance has been exhausted and subject to the exclusions, terms and limits of liability set out in this individual policy of insurance. This coverage will not apply as contributing insurance and this “non-contribution” shall supersede despite any “non-contribution provision” in other insurance indemnity or protection policies or contracts
The bolded part is pretty important. Allianz is very helpful, there is a chunk of paperwork to be done and the more organized you are the better. Read the T&Cs to ensure you are following the numerous conditions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)