Credit Cards

BMO World Elite Mastercard - Devaluation May 5th, No Plaza Premium access July 1st

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2023 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6907 posts
5592 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: If you don't want to keep it for long term for lounge passes and insurance which it offers is great in terms of using partial points + cash, cashing out is better. if you ahve a BMO account, even easier to transfer as cash savings.
Problem with cashing out to savings is you can only do it in 15000 increments
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1734 posts
1212 upvotes
Vancouver
Not World Elite but I have the no AF one.... Has anyone noticed BMO is pretty generous in terms of credit limit increases? I received a letter in the mail in December for an increase of $3500 which I accepted. I just received a letter in the mail today 4 months later offering another $3500 increase. Both I did not request for. I'm just wondering what is generating this increase and I have a feeling I know why but just wanted to see if everyone else has been given increases rather generously or if it's targeted to me directly.
Jun 29, 2017
184 posts
148 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: Not World Elite but I have the no AF one.... Has anyone noticed BMO is pretty generous in terms of credit limit increases? I received a letter in the mail in December for an increase of $3500 which I accepted. I just received a letter in the mail today 4 months later offering another $3500 increase. Both I did not request for. I'm just wondering what is generating this increase and I have a feeling I know why but just wanted to see if everyone else has been given increases rather generously or if it's targeted to me directly.
Not my case. BMO is my first credit card. It starts at 1,000. After 10-year relationship, only one credit limit increase after I called to 5,000.

On the contrary, CIBC is quite generous to me. It starts at 20,000 and goes to 50,000. TD is not bad, either.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1425 posts
1326 upvotes
So just had a frustrating experience with BMO Rewards so much so that I won’t be using this card again.

(1) They don’t list all Airports in the website. For example IST is not listed.
(2) There price match policy is a load of crap. Only matching Air Canada and Westjet? Really? TK had a business class fare on their website of 1,300 Turkish Lira and when I called in they wanted $900+ cad. That’s like a $600 difference... I don’t understand.

Will try to cash everything out and close the card. Any suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6907 posts
5592 upvotes
eugeneo wrote: So just had a frustrating experience with BMO Rewards so much so that I won’t be using this card again.

(2) There price match policy is a load of crap. Only matching Air Canada and Westjet? Really? TK had a business class fare on their website of 1,300 Turkish Lira and when I called in they wanted $900+ cad. That’s like a $600 difference... I don’t understand.

Ive had the card for 2 years now and also having a hard time finding things that are worth redeeming. Hotels and car rentals are always way more expensive on the site. Flights are the same but the availability is lacking. They don't seem to have the same.options.

Ive resigned myself to taking cash which is 15000 for $100 to your savings account (under investments)

Only issue is they only do increments of 15000 and I have 70k. I need another 5k points.
Aug 10, 2005
331 posts
37 upvotes
Thornhill
eugeneo wrote: So just had a frustrating experience with BMO Rewards so much so that I won’t be using this card again.

Having a hard time to find good use for the points as well. Was looking for a hotel in France but they only list Paris.
Jun 15, 2016
385 posts
242 upvotes
How long does it take approximately to get approved for this card?

I applied a week ago and haven't received any notice at all, am I just going to receive something in the mail?

Also, if you're not approved do they notify you?
May 9, 2002
268 posts
33 upvotes
So I've got leftover BMO Rewards points from when I previously had this card. I've since switched to Amex Biz Plat.
However, the wife wants to have lounge access when I'm not traveling with her.
Question: Can we apply for this card in her name, and give them my existing BMO Rewards # to put the points into?
Mar 23, 2004
47728 posts
13898 upvotes
Markham
ninja6o4 wrote: So I've got leftover BMO Rewards points from when I previously had this card. I've since switched to Amex Biz Plat.
However, the wife wants to have lounge access when I'm not traveling with her.
Question: Can we apply for this card in her name, and give them my existing BMO Rewards # to put the points into?
Should be fine don't see why this wouldnt work, best answer would probably be directly from bmo rewards.
May 9, 2002
268 posts
33 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: Should be fine don't see why this wouldnt work, best answer would probably be directly from bmo rewards.
Just an update, I phoned BMO and the rep confirmed that BMO Rewards accounts cannot be combined, so if I were to apply for a new BMO WE with my wife as the primary, it will generate a new Rewards account # to accumulate points into. There is no option for transferring, combining, or gifting points between accounts.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6413 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
ninja6o4 wrote: Just an update, I phoned BMO and the rep confirmed that BMO Rewards accounts cannot be combined, so if I were to apply for a new BMO WE with my wife as the primary, it will generate a new Rewards account # to accumulate points into. There is no option for transferring, combining, or gifting points between accounts.
And your leftover BMO Reward points, are they still attached to a BMO CC?

If not, am guessing they will expire, if you don't use up within time frame of xx days.

Or can you have a BMO Rewards Account + points balance, without an active BMO CC?
May 9, 2002
268 posts
33 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: And your leftover BMO Reward points, are they still attached to a BMO CC?

If not, am guessing they will expire, if you don't use up within time frame of xx days.

Or can you have a BMO Rewards Account + points balance, without an active BMO CC?
My leftover BMO points are still active because I downgraded from the WE to the no-fee basic BMO Rewards M/C, so I could spend them over time as needed (had over 1M points accumulated.)
Otherwise yes, if I canceled completely, the points would expire off.
Mar 21, 2011
788 posts
303 upvotes
Delta
ninja6o4 wrote: My leftover BMO points are still active because I downgraded from the WE to the no-fee basic BMO Rewards M/C, so I could spend them over time as needed (had over 1M points accumulated.)
Otherwise yes, if I canceled completely, the points would expire off.
how did you get 1M points?
Do you just sign up then downgrade every 6 months?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2017
1711 posts
2485 upvotes
Ontario
Does BMO have an automated CLI over the phone or do I have to speak with someone?
May 9, 2002
268 posts
33 upvotes
lypang wrote: how did you get 1M points?
Do you just sign up then downgrade every 6 months?
No, I used it for business purposes. Racked up lots of charges over a number of years.
Jun 29, 2017
184 posts
148 upvotes
Natasha321 wrote: Do you know if it was hard pull or a soft one?
I asked for no pull so they didn’t pull from my credit report. However, the increase was limited due to no pull.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3196 posts
30 upvotes
Do I need to have the points sitting (i.e. already posted) on the account in order to book a hotel room using BMO rewards page? I mean, I don't have the bonus points posted yet (hopefully will be posted in few weeks), but in need of a hotel booking in few days. This means I would have to first pay with cash (BMO credit card) and then redeem for the already made booking once the bonus points are posted. Is it possible? I don't think so but just want to confirm.

ps. I was originally under the impression that I can make a booking on my own (e.g. expedia or priceline) and then can redeem BMO points against the past travel purchases, just like the TD card. What a bummer...
HEATWARE 47+ : BST 27+ : EBAY 212+ (links on request)
Jul 31, 2009
146 posts
36 upvotes
I did a quick search but could not find any DPs on Holding BMO WE and BMO WE Air Miles. I have the Air Miles WE card and got the bonus + FYF rebate. Is it possible to apply and get welcome bonus and FYF on BMO WE while still holding Air Mile WE? I applied for the Air Mile WE Dec 2018

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)