• Aug 6th, 2005 9:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
2 posts
Toronto, On

bmw 330ci for winter driving

Hi Guys. I'm thinking of buying a 2002 bmw 330ci, but I live in Toronto Canada where winter driving with RWD can be a challenge. Even with Dynamic Stability Control, is this car safe to drive in winter?

In terms of handling in snow, how does it compare to a FWD vehicle like the Acura RSX type S or an AWD vehicle like the Audi TT?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10742 posts
1748 upvotes
Ottawa
Without snow tires, yes, the BMW would be a handful in winter, but you will have no problems (especially in Toronto which I don't consider to have real winters) with a proper set of good snow tires.

If anything, flinging a BMW with its 50/50 balanced weight distribution is pure fun, especially in the winter.

I live in Ottawa, and we get a lot more snow and colder weather than Toronto ever does, and I would not let RWD deter me from buying one (assuming I wanted a BMW in the first place)
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5815 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
It all depends on how aggressively you drive....with a proper set of snow tires a regular driver should have no problems, but driving aggressively will definitely get hairy (read: fun) on corners and more slippery terrain

On the other hand, if you want to have fun in the wintertime on paved roads sliding the back end out, generally RWD is the way to go
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2107 posts
311 upvotes
I drive a RWD car and RWD is much easier to drive in winter than FWD. What isn't better about RWD is that you can get stuck easier. However, the actual driving part is better on RWD because if you take a turn "HOT", you can just throw out the back end. If you take a turn "HOT' in FWD, you'll just slide straight across the road into the curb/traffic/etc.

With a full set of snow tires, it'll be no problem.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2005
2 posts
Toronto, On
Hi guys. Thanks for all the advice. I know that insurance for this car is going to hurt, so I don't need winter accidents to drive up those rates. Everybody says that with a good set of winter tires and the car's 50/50 weight distrubution, I'll be fine so I'm going with the bimmer. Cheers!
Oct 1, 2004
17 posts
1 upvote
I have an '04 330ci, and two winters ago I ran all seasons. I had no problems because the tires had lots of tread. However with all season you do have to be a little more careful driving, you don't have quite the same amount of traction as a fwd car.

This previous winter, the all seasons were getting a little worn, so I picked up a set of 17" rims and dunlop winter sport m3 tires for ~$1500 new. (You will need 17 inchers to clear the 330's rather large brakes) With these tires, the car is rock solid in the snow. The key is leave DSC on, and you will have no trouble at all.

IMO the all-seasons work well in the snow if they aren't worn, however once I put on snows the traction was waaay better. Without a doubt, for saftey and piece of mind I would pick up a set of snows.

p.s. it is real fun to turn off dsc in the winter and do some sliding (only when it is safe tho).

Hope this helps a bit.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1447 upvotes
Pickering
Chookman wrote:I drive a RWD car and RWD is much easier to drive in winter than FWD. What isn't better about RWD is that you can get stuck easier. However, the actual driving part is better on RWD because if you take a turn "HOT", you can just throw out the back end. If you take a turn "HOT' in FWD, you'll just slide straight across the road into the curb/traffic/etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5815 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Chookman wrote:If you take a turn "HOT' in FWD, you'll just slide straight across the road into the curb/traffic/etc.

amen to that... "oh god!! *lunges for the handbrake* "
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7132 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
if the weather gets really bad

throw some sand bags in the trunk
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I drove my gf's 330ci cab in the winter back from whistler, there was a bit of fresh snow on the road but it handled well with all seasons, the extra weight on the back from the cab mechanics probably helped. But the on snow handling is inferior to my Audi A4 quattro 2.8. But when it comes to snow handling, nothing beats my RAV4 or RX330 on winter tires. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2617 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
i live in TO, I dotn' think RWD, FWD cars will be a prob as long as you have a proper set of winters on. I've driven a 95' 3 series with nokians and with DSC turned on, it is rock solid. Also had an Audi before, and in the city there are mimimal difference unless you drive aggressively.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6110 posts
670 upvotes
T dot 6
I have a RWD car with winter tires I generally have no problems, but maybe once a winter I get close to getting stuck, but I have never been completely stuck.

Usually its one of two problems: really tall snow banks and icey incline. Really tall snow banks is like when a plow puts a small wall of snow. Most FWD go through them no prob, but I can get stuck in them. If I have momentum I go through them no problem, but going from a stand still is a problem.

The most likely scenario is a icey incline. These can get really dicey because you usually have people behind you and you dont want to slide back into them. You really need to be careful on icey slopes or your rear tires will just spin. Thats why some people put something heavy in the trunk to keep the weight on the back down.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2015 posts
42 upvotes
535i in winter with fresh all-seasons are good. If your all-seasons are more than 8 months old (in use) then I suggest getting snows.

Now only if there were a 330xci version... but then, it wouldn't be as fun as turning off DSC once in a while ;)
Jan 7, 2004
487 posts
1 upvote
T.Dot
I would take my RWD BMW over my FWD corolla in the snow anyday.