Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2475 posts
1003 upvotes
MARKHAM

BMW with fake exhaust is a thing?

Have few encounter behind some BMW with either dual tips or dual exhaust. And I can see one side or 1 tip is closed, and very clean like new. My has dual tip and both tip is already blackish
25 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11253 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
Really? I hope not, haven't heard about that. Heard that they do use fake exhaust noises though, which sucks...dunno which is worse.

AFAIK, didn't Lexus use fake exhausts? I don't think BMW, but I've been out of it for a while, so who knows. I know for dual exhausts one burns hotter than the other, so maybe you're noticing that.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4783 posts
2100 upvotes
Toronto
JasonCao wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 1:27 pm
Have few encounter behind some BMW with either dual tips or dual exhaust. And I can see one side or 1 tip is closed, and very clean like new. My has dual tip and both tip is already blackish
Butterfly valves, and they drive like grandmas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2475 posts
1003 upvotes
MARKHAM
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 1:34 pm
Butterfly valves, and they drive like grandmas.
Yes there was valve, I assume they open and close. But one of the tip that was closed is very clean. The dual exhaust one have one side like new, so it has been closed forever.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5726 posts
2098 upvotes
Alberta
JasonCao wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 1:38 pm
Yes there was valve, I assume they open and close. But one of the tip that was closed is very clean. The dual exhaust one have one side like new, so it has been closed forever.
I seen the same on a BMW SUV last week and was wondering the same thing. Absolutely nothing coming out of one side and the other side like brand new. Same goes with every other little car with a 4 banger and dual exhaust tips from a single muffler. Why? Does nothing for performance, just making it look fast? I had dual exhaust on my Mustang Cobra GT running off factory stainless headers. That I can see.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4102 posts
1619 upvotes
Mississauga
Seen something similar on a newer Toyota Camry: quad exhast tips and two look brand new.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28080 posts
13894 upvotes
Ottawa
Not all vehicles have true "dual exhaust" systems, with two down pipes, two cats, two resonators and two mufflers.
Sep 10, 2006
208 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Put the car into sport/sport plus mode and the exhaust valve opens up allowing the gases to flow out of that pipe. In comfort, one side is usually closed
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2290 posts
779 upvotes
Calgary
This is slowly becoming the new norm. More and more cars will have this as we transition to EVs. This step is so that you don't see the black dirty tips out back/bumper as DI can spew pretty dark exhaust out on full wide open throttle.

Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11253 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
aleks wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 4:23 pm
This is slowly becoming the new norm. More and more cars will have this as we transition to EVs. This step is so that you don't see the black dirty tips out back/bumper as DI can spew pretty dark exhaust out on full wide open throttle.

Man, that's just nasty.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2232 posts
2276 upvotes
GTA
All the auto makers are going to fake exhausts.

It's easier to hit the design specs (intended appearance of exhaust tip) with an injection molded rear bumper, rather than to deal with all the tolerance stack-ups of the bumper, exhaust tip, exhaust pipe, exhaust hangers etc. and expecting things to line up.

In essence, the fit and finish is better with fake exhaust tips.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1115 posts
401 upvotes

Audi is doing it now with some of their vehicles like the SQ5 above. I'd really like to know who thought it would be a great idea to design a performance vehicle (and I use that term loosely with the SQ5) and cheap out on a fake plastic exhaust trim. I get that large majority of buyers A) don't know and/or B) don't care, but that just reeks of cost-cutting and laziness, which does not help Audi's reputation for making performance cars that always seem to just fall short of expectations.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4568 upvotes
Montreal
rsang39 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 6:50 pm

Audi is doing it now with some of their vehicles like the SQ5 above. I'd really like to know who thought it would be a great idea to design a performance vehicle (and I use that term loosely with the SQ5) and cheap out on a fake plastic exhaust trim. I get that large majority of buyers A) don't know and/or B) don't care, but that just reeks of cost-cutting and laziness, which does not help Audi's reputation for making performance cars that always seem to just fall short of expectations.

Status more important than exhaust tips.