Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
You sure are Johnny on the spot booblehead Winking Face

I had come back to ask for clarification about the timing chain issue someone posted about. Is that still an issue on the 2015s vs. the 2014s? I mentioned it yesterday but he wasn't sure if it had been fixed or was an issue on the car.

And yes, I am thinking I might go with my wife on this one... I can survive with my Forte another 6-8 months
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
problem parts would likely have been replaced but the revised parts are a 'hit & miss', thus the reason BMW came out with a revised new design for the MY2015 which should reduce/eliminate the questionable replacement parts issue. If you can avoid any N20/26 engines from MY2012-2014, then do so.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
Feneant wrote: Are there decent after market Winter tires for a 2014 228i? I test drove the one in town I posted (refresher link) about a few pages ago and loved it. The concern is I don't usually put winter tires, but a RWD car in Winter without them is probably not drivable. Moncton averages ~9 feet of snow in the Winter, I don't have a garage and yes, both our SUV with AWD and my current FWD car have both gotten stuck in the driveway even if I shovel multiple times each snowfall.

Another option, which my wife prefers, is to wait and see about finding a 2015 with AWD next Spring. That would also let me save up a bit of money for a down payment instead of financing the entire amount but I expect that the car would cost me ~5000$ more vs a similar 2014.

Ps- I asked if they'd take 29k for it and while the salesman didn't flat out reject it, he did say it had reduced twice and they felt it was a good price. But as we're in the Fall, I think they might decide it's better to take a lower price than be stuck holding the car on the lot all Winter.
Nothing to do with BMW's but why don't you consider switching to winter tires though? I think people with RWD manage well the winters in Ontario with a good set of winter tires.
Jul 21, 2011
27 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi everyone, I'm looking to lease a 2017 X6 x35i and I need some advice since I don't have prior experience buying a vehicle in Canada and most of the information I've found online comes from US customers, which might not be accurate for the Canadian market.

From what I see on Edmunds.com the MF and residuals for the 2017 X6 are currently at 0.00152 and 58% for a 36mnth/16000km. There's also a $4000 lease credit but I haven't seen this offered on bmw.ca, so maybe it's US only. Does Canada get any incentives for Nov/Dec? I'm assuming that we get the same residuals in Canada but the MF might be different. What is a good MF to negotiate given that I have good credit? How much of a discount can I try for off the MSRP for the 2017 X6. What are some things to look out for when leasing? I have tried to get up to speed with the basics (knowing not to negotiate for monthly payments, looking out for bogus fees, etc.) but I'm sure there's plenty more to learn.

Reading posts from this thread have already been quite informative, but I haven't been able to find much specific to the X6. Any advice is appreciated! :) Sorry for the long post
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
I only see one or two '17 X6 on dealer's inventory now and I don't recall the X6 has any significant factory credit in recent months. It is best to get a quote sheet first to see what kind of discount is giving you first and then you can go from there. Being a one model year old car, you should be looking at near 10% off the MSRP and for 36 months, I would estimate the residual be around 50%

The last factory promo was back in Sep to clear the 17. The X6 was given at least $1500 factory credit at the time. Therefore, the dealer who still have the car on their inventory may have taken that in already. Do check the in service date to see if the car was registered and now selling as demo status.

bmw autohaus has white
tcbmw has red
Jan 14, 2008
842 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
For those that are veteran leasers, maybe you can give me some advise

Policaro BMW has been contacting me to take me out of my existing F30 lease for almost no penalty (20 months remaining, lots of kms remaining) if I upgrade to a new vehicle.

I'm not sure if it sounds too good to be true. I do need something a bit larger, and am planning to test drive the new x3 or anything else larger. Not too picky, just needs to be an SUV now.

Any tips on upgrading, or is it too good to be true?

Do they launch vehicles with special incentives to get good sales numbers? (X3)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
say it's true ... no penalty to turn it in early. You will have to see what kind of discount the dealer is willing to give you on the new car then. If you are getting like 3% or less (and yet dealer is going to add on those fees and all), then you are in a sense of paying something on the side (as a penalty per se).

For the 18 X3, no incentive right now and interest rate is 3.9% and you do get 0.75% reduction as loyalty incentive
Jul 21, 2011
27 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga
Silly question, but why is it that on the Canadian website I can only configure the 2017 X6? The 2018 doesn't show up
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
BMW.ca is extremely slow in updating their new model yr
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Hey booblehead
How is Macan vs BMW? Just wondering as I am considering one
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
If your budget allows, gts trim would be ideal. You still need to test drive one to see if you like it or not. The Macan will be coming out with facelift for MY 2019, which could be available to order around early spring 2018. Even with facelift, it will still lack the modern tech gadget but the performance sure is better than the bimmer, imo.

I have not seen the new x3 and i think if you are looking for interior space (as one of your main criteria), the bimmer is likely bigger and feel less compact than the Macan.

Lastly, porsche maintenance is 2-3x more expensive than a x3 (if done at dealer). I do most of the routine stuff at my mechanic and it’s almost in line in cost like the bimmer .
For example, simple oil change at Porsche is $500; $150 range at my mechanic. A BMW X3 oil change at my mechanic would likely be around $120.

I have owned mine for 3.5 yrs now and overall, I have enjoyed driving it very much ... more than any bimmers I had owned in the past. Really !
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21361 posts
23637 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dlhunter wrote: Hey booblehead
How is Macan vs BMW? Just wondering as I am considering one
Macan will offer a better driving experience, but it's small and expensive compared to what you would get with a BMW. That said I think the Macan looks much much Iver than BMW.
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Awesome thread! ... but huge, spent around and hour to read the last 40 pages.... That encouraged me to ask a question. Iam looking to buy a used 2014 328i Modern/Sport line with premium pkg, navigation, backup camera and with mileage 45k km or less, and for sure no accident. I lean to get it from BMW dealer since they have a good finance rate for it. They range from $29k to $35k at BMW. I would like to know what would be a good deal to get one? TIA
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
dealers general markup would fall in the 25-35% range, depends on condition, cpo w/extended warranty or "As is". Your ability to negotiate may depend on:
- how long the car has been sitting at the lot. If it is recently listed (within 0 - 60 days), dealers generally will play hard ball and will not discount much at all (say $1000 or so as their best) as they can afford to wait for a lesser educated buyers, per se. Once the car has been sitting for beyond 3 months+, then dealers will generally discount. If the car has been sitting like 6+ months, dealer may start to entertain all offers but they are still looking to make a min. 10-15% markup on the car, because by then the depreciation has taken its toll on the car and dealer would have to sell before they make absolutely nothing per se.

sorrowt wrote: Awesome thread! ... but huge, spent around and hour to read the last 40 pages.... That encouraged me to ask a question. Iam looking to buy a used 2014 328i Modern/Sport line with premium pkg, navigation, backup camera and with mileage 45k km or less, and for sure no accident. I lean to get it from BMW dealer since they have a good finance rate for it. They range from $29k to $35k at BMW. I would like to know what would be a good deal to get one? TIA
Nov 28, 2016
4 posts
I am looking for a good independent shop in the Ottawa area that does excellent BMW work. Any suggestions?
Aug 23, 2014
435 posts
237 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
booblehead wrote: dealers general markup would fall in the 25-35% range, depends on condition, cpo w/extended warranty or "As is". Your ability to negotiate may depend on:
- how long the car has been sitting at the lot. If it is recently listed (within 0 - 60 days), dealers generally will play hard ball and will not discount much at all (say $1000 or so as their best) as they can afford to wait for a lesser educated buyers, per se. Once the car has been sitting for beyond 3 months+, then dealers will generally discount. If the car has been sitting like 6+ months, dealer may start to entertain all offers but they are still looking to make a min. 10-15% markup on the car, because by then the depreciation has taken its toll on the car and dealer would have to sell before they make absolutely nothing per se.
I see, so whats a 0% markup range for the one im looking at? the 2014 3 series seems to be selling strong, usually sold by the dealer within 3 weeks.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
Need to see what options and yr and mileage. Cpo or as is

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)