Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
The_Professor wrote: I finally closed the deal on a new 2018 X3 today. Got 8.5% off (6.5% from the dealer, plus 2% from the BMW Trillium Car Club), $750 xDrive event, and the .75% loyalty rate reduction. I honestly think I could have done slightly better but car buying is exhausting and I just wanted to be done with it.
You've got a very good deal!
Enjoy the ride, I've been on X3 for about 6 months now. It's a very fun, attractive & capable SUV/SAV/CUV whatever it is called.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: Nope. All dealers charge freight/pdi on demo cars.
Are you sure about that. According to OMVIC, dealers are supposed to remove freight/PDI on a demo: https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/NewsPubl ... fault.aspx

"While demonstrators are legally considered used vehicles, OMVIC recognizes most manufacturers qualify demos for new vehicle incentives and/or financing and that this may require the use of a new vehicle purchase contract. However, when selling a demonstrator, dealers should remove charges for freight, PDI, air tax, tire stewardship, etc. from the contract."
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
Saying it and doing it are different thing ... dealers are hoping uneducated buyers will not know this and yet dealers will insist these charges need to be charged as somebody has to pay for them .

Over at MB, all demos will have freight/pdi fees waived , no need to fight with them
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
terry0703 wrote: You've got a very good deal!
Enjoy the ride, I've been on X3 for about 6 months now. It's a very fun, attractive & capable SUV/SAV/CUV whatever it is called.
Thanks, I think so too. The best part was that it was all done via email, so not too much effort on my part.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
doonboy wrote: So the dealer offered $4k as trade in. Going back there to see if they will up it to $8k if buying a new vehicle and getting 7% off the new one too.
Not surprised. No one would risk taking it in at any value higher than junk status. To be able to resell it, one has to put in at least $7-8k first. No dealer / wholesaler would risk that unless they "buy" it real cheap...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
random pattern wrote: Congratulations! You may not remember this but 10 years ago we connected on RFD and you’d helped me out when we were buying a CRV for my wife! Anyway we traded that in last year, and earlier this year we got a 2018 X3 as well - wife really likes it and when I drive it on the weekends, I do as well.
Nice! Sounds like the CR-V treated you well. We still miss that vehicle, it was so reliable and versatile.
Dec 12, 2011
97 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Looking to pick up an X3 30i with Ultimate Package in the next few days (while the xDrive event is still on to bag the extra $750 off)...
A few questions:
1. I saw someone mention that being a member of BMW Trillium gets you an extra 2% off - is this available for anyone who joins the club?? That seems like a good way to spend $55...
2. The MSRP with the Ultimate Package and Metallic paint comes to around 63,000 (+freight, +PDI, +mats and wheel locks (They charge for those!?) +admin fee +fuel). What sort of discount can I negotiate? and which of the add-on charges can be waived?
3. At this point, with production of MY19 starting in a couple of months, is it worth waiting for those to come in to get a higher residual value when you sell or trade the car?

Your input is much appreciated!!! Thanks!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
1. yes. but you have to be an active member for at least 12 months

2. answered from recent posts

3. for the X3, without any factory credit, MY19 could be on par with MY18 on leasing. MY19 will have higher residual and a few hundred $ more in base price and probably 5% discount. Whereas MY18 will have lower residual and higher discount, say in the 6-6.5% right now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
not sure if mini cooper is the same as bmw. i was parking at a very steep parking spot, and when i put the car into park, the electronic parking mode came on by itself. is that normal?
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
Amsterdave wrote: Looking to pick up an X3 30i with Ultimate Package in the next few days (while the xDrive event is still on to bag the extra $750 off)...
A few questions:
1. I saw someone mention that being a member of BMW Trillium gets you an extra 2% off - is this available for anyone who joins the club?? That seems like a good way to spend $55...
2. The MSRP with the Ultimate Package and Metallic paint comes to around 63,000 (+freight, +PDI, +mats and wheel locks (They charge for those!?) +admin fee +fuel). What sort of discount can I negotiate? and which of the add-on charges can be waived?
3. At this point, with production of MY19 starting in a couple of months, is it worth waiting for those to come in to get a higher residual value when you sell or trade the car?

Your input is much appreciated!!! Thanks!!
With respect to #3, my dealer said they are still building 2018's and will be doing so for a little bit still. If you're not in a rush, you could wait until the 2019's are en route (August?) and potentially get a better deal on a 2018.
Dec 12, 2011
97 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
It seems that 6.5% discount is the number to shoot for then... does that apply to the total after all fees, or just on the MSRP on the car? Are people getting the dealers to waive any charges for things like mats, fuel or admin?

If discounts on MY19 are lower than on 2018, might as well bite the bullet now... who knows the MSRP might go up slightly too, with our weak dollar.
Too bad the Trillium discount won't work, maybe next time.. I'll join either way.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, I signed up for the Trillium Club over a year ago in anticipation of getting my wife a new car now. Note that their membership year ends on December 11th (give or take a day), so even if you sign up in say October, you pay your full years' dues and then again on December 11th. So for me to get the 2%, I had two pay two annual memberships, but it's well worth it. In addition to the savings, you also get invited to social/track events, etc.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
marktang wrote: not sure if mini cooper is the same as bmw. i was parking at a very steep parking spot, and when i put the car into park, the electronic parking mode came on by itself. is that normal?
It ought to be like this in all instances once you parked.

My current mb does this automatically
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2008
1001 posts
110 upvotes
How does the 2% get paid? From the Trillium Club? or BMW? Does it come right off your lease/financing? Or is it just a separate cheque?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
The member has to complete a form, and then it gets circulated for signatures (BMW club President, various BMW Canada staff). It takes about two weeks, and once it's done it gets emailed to the member. You then present it to the dealer and they simply add the 2% to the discount (in my case the discount went from 6.5% to 8.5%). The dealers don't care since this isn't coming out of their pocket in any way.
Dec 12, 2011
97 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
The_Professor wrote: The member has to complete a form, and then it gets circulated for signatures (BMW club President, various BMW Canada staff). It takes about two weeks, and once it's done it gets emailed to the member. You then present it to the dealer and they simply add the 2% to the discount (in my case the discount went from 6.5% to 8.5%). The dealers don't care since this isn't coming out of their pocket in any way.
When you say you got 6.5% is that on MSRP or total including fees? Or did you get some fees/charges waived?
Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5494 posts
3013 upvotes
GTA
Amsterdave wrote: When you say you got 6.5% is that on MSRP or total including fees? Or did you get some fees/charges waived?
Thanks!
The 6.5% does not apply to things like admin fees, license, etc. It's just the price of the vehicle plus any packages/options you opt for. It's up to you to negotiate what you feel is reasonable (I had them waive some things that I didn't like).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: It ought to be like this in all instances once you parked.

My current mb does this automatically
i was going to pull the switch but noticed the red light was on. so was a bit surprised.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Sep 23, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Re: BMW Club of Canada
do other brands have something like that?
Thanks!
Dec 17, 2013
8 posts
2 upvotes
Hi All. Quick question on BMW X promotion. I ordered my X3 M40i in March and I'm picking it up next week . It's a 45 month lease. Am I entitled to the benefit of current promotions as of the day I sign for and pick up my new vehicle, even if those promotions weren't on when I ordered my car? New to BMW so not sure the way that works. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)