Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: Also, I thought one only needs to replace the brake pads but I'm told need to replace everything, I.e. rotors, sensors, calipers, pads.... Apparently the rotors are worn thin.

Have any of you done these jobs?

It's a 2011 Z4 over 200,000kms if useful. TIA!
BMWs are always designed to have the brake and rotor replaced same time, and sensor needs to be replaced as well or computer wont reset. Re calipers, guess it depends on the condition, its not a wear and tear item usually.
Dec 21, 2009
567 posts
534 upvotes
Oakville
Anyone here renegotiate their lease buy out terms?

I have a 2014 2 series that had a cosmetic damage incident with 10k claim against it, I wanted to buy it out as my kms will be much lower than the lease term. Thinking of reducing residual or something with that argument of the claim.
Jun 2, 2009
283 posts
98 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I forgot if I asked this here but is $5K all-in reasonable for complete replacement of all struts and shocks and brake parts+flush and alignment?

Do I really need to replace the rear shocks if just the front struts are leaking? Also recommended to replace mounts, stops and boots.

Also, I thought one only needs to replace the brake pads but I'm told need to replace everything, I.e. rotors, sensors, calipers, pads.... Apparently the rotors are worn thin.

at 5k is that at an independent? you can price all those parts out on a website such as germanparts dot ca (not sure if blocked)
Dec 10, 2007
792 posts
656 upvotes
Arviat
tranquility922 wrote: I forgot if I asked this here but is $5K all-in reasonable for complete replacement of all struts and shocks and brake parts+flush and alignment?

Do I really need to replace the rear shocks if just the front struts are leaking? Also recommended to replace mounts, stops and boots.

Also, I thought one only needs to replace the brake pads but I'm told need to replace everything, I.e. rotors, sensors, calipers, pads.... Apparently the rotors are worn thin.

At an independent shop and using OEM parts (non-premium non-performance), I think for the struts/shocks it will cost around $1000-$1200 to do all four corners.
Buy nice or buy twice.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
poker838 wrote: at 5k is that at an independent? you can price all those parts out on a website such as germanparts dot ca (not sure if blocked)
It's actually from a dealer and lower than the Indy.

ellesdad wrote: At an independent shop and using OEM parts (non-premium non-performance), I think for the struts/shocks it will cost around $1000-$1200 to do all four corners.
Actually, it costs 3k pre-tax as quoted to me, not including the brake portion.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
548 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Sounds too high. But if from the dealer it's probably about right. I was told by the dealer it would be $1k per axle just in parts for my 325i with sports suspension for struts alone. I'm doing it myself now and changing both in the front. I wouldn't change the rear if it's ok. If you have the money to blow, go for it. It's not like it's going to save them any time doing both front and back.

Changing the struts and brakes at the same time will save a little bit of time, but not a significant amount.

If you can DIY, or buy parts and get an indy to do it, it will be much cheaper. We get killed on cost of parts in Canada. Even with exchange, it's cheaper to buy in the US. Checkout rockauto, FCP Euro and eeuroparts for prices. I've used all 3 for different things recently.

I just changed pads and rotors and am waiting for my new struts to come in to do that work. Not difficult if you have a jack and the tools. I'm at 265,000 km and plan on going over 300k until I give up on my baby.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
richuwo11 wrote: Sounds too high. But if from the dealer it's probably about right. I was told by the dealer it would be $1k per axle just in parts for my 325i with sports suspension for struts alone. I'm doing it myself now and changing both in the front. I wouldn't change the rear if it's ok. If you have the money to blow, go for it. It's not like it's going to save them any time doing both front and back.

Changing the struts and brakes at the same time will save a little bit of time, but not a significant amount.

If you can DIY, or buy parts and get an indy to do it, it will be much cheaper. We get killed on cost of parts in Canada. Even with exchange, it's cheaper to buy in the US. Checkout rockauto, FCP Euro and eeuroparts for prices. I've used all 3 for different things recently.

I just changed pads and rotors and am waiting for my new struts to come in to do that work. Not difficult if you have a jack and the tools. I'm at 265,000 km and plan on going over 300k until I give up on my baby.
Tx for your reply. The bolded part is what I'm confused about...they said to change it since I'm high mileage and to be consistent w/ the new front struts...not sure which is correct. On one hand, I can see their pt as the rears must've been worn as well but on the other they don't have any visible damage...so confused.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
548 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tranquility922 wrote: Tx for your reply. The bolded part is what I'm confused about...they said to change it since I'm high mileage and to be consistent w/ the new front struts...not sure which is correct. On one hand, I can see their pt as the rears must've been worn as well but on the other they don't have any visible damage...so confused.
I've always been told to change them in pairs. One of my springs broke years ago in the rear. At that time I changed the rear struts with the broken spring. Left the front alone at the time. Now I'm changing the front, but I've gotten 3-4 yrs extra from the front. No need to change everything if it's not needed imo.
Jun 5, 2018
1 posts
hello everyone, will head to dealership tomorrow and negotiate 2018 X5. any idea how much discount?
is 5% the reasonable ask? Giving they are running $2000 rebate for finance and another $1500 loyalty.
Will these rebate and loyalty come out from dealer pocket or BMW Canada?
Thanks in advanced!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
richuwo11 wrote: I've always been told to change them in pairs. One of my springs broke years ago in the rear. At that time I changed the rear struts with the broken spring. Left the front alone at the time. Now I'm changing the front, but I've gotten 3-4 yrs extra from the front. No need to change everything if it's not needed imo.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Oct 9, 2013
38 posts
5 upvotes
As you likely know all new G05 is arriving late summer or fall. 5.5% should be minimum , try for 6% min. Decline the fake fees, only pay pdi freight admin. Rebates and loyalty are from BMW Canada.
If I buy a G05 I would also get the same 5.5% discount.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
dealers will likely play hard ball at the early going as demand would probably be very high. I would guess dealer will probably do around 4% if you are doing the preorder.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3916 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: they don't have any visible damage...so confused.
keep in mind a lot of parts may not show "visible damage" but should still be replaced due to age/mileage etc. An example will be tires thats more than 7-8 years old but still have lots of treads.
You can ask for a second opinion, ideally an indie you can trust.
Sep 27, 2009
640 posts
142 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the 2018 x3 now...hoping they take my lease back a couple of months early as it's due back end of September.

Lease rates suck as usual. Any idea how the m40i is moving at dealerships? My salesman is a hardass to negotiate with

Was thinking about the rdx or the new v60 but..my wife loves them bmw
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
contact @vancity23 for further details, if needed. He recently got a 18 x3 M40i from Neil (BMW store) http://thebmwstore.ca/advisors

> his deal was 7.3% off MSRP. All you have to do is to watch out those bogus fees
itr452 wrote: Looking at the 2018 x3 now...hoping they take my lease back a couple of months early as it's due back end of September.

Lease rates suck as usual. Any idea how the m40i is moving at dealerships? My salesman is a hardass to negotiate with

Was thinking about the rdx or the new v60 but..my wife loves them bmw
Sep 12, 2006
380 posts
473 upvotes
Anyone know what kind of factory incentives there are for the 330e? I heard there was a BMW EV rebate, and possibly another factory credit as well? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4758 posts
383 upvotes
Currently looking to add an X3 to our garage, probably the 30i rather than the M40i although the latter is tempting...

I see the online configuration is down and suspect the car is now out of production as 2019s are rolling out soon? Can anyone advise what the residuals are for 20000km for 3 years and 4 years? Only thing that sucks is the 3.9% interest rate right now :(

Currently trying to figure out a good deal for the vehicle and would appreciate if anyone wanted to share the numbers they got for their 2018 X3. TIA.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33206 posts
21116 upvotes
Toronto
X3 30

36 months - 54%
48 months - 46%

Lovable wrote: Currently looking to add an X3 to our garage, probably the 30i rather than the M40i although the latter is tempting...

I see the online configuration is down and suspect the car is now out of production as 2019s are rolling out soon? Can anyone advise what the residuals are for 20000km for 3 years and 4 years? Only thing that sucks is the 3.9% interest rate right now :(

Currently trying to figure out a good deal for the vehicle and would appreciate if anyone wanted to share the numbers they got for their 2018 X3. TIA.