Automotive

BMW questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 7:47 am
Jan 24, 2013
8 posts
Are there any good incentives for the 2017 bmw x1 mline package +executive +premium enhanced packages? Or is it best to wait until the end of march?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
2895 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Just ordered the mini clubman this weekend. I was wondering if any BMW/mini owners have that appearance protection for dings/paint repair? is it worth it?
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
I would say not worth it. typical cost to repair each dent (say a quarter size) is around $80 or so.
Oct 13, 2008
350 posts
41 upvotes
hi asking for a friend..

Got a quote on demo 2017 x1 xdrive28i (555 tax incl. with 2k down). This was a demo with 2600km on it with premium + light package included.

They are charging PDI 1295$ Fuel 95$ Freight $1085 as well. My friend put down a $500 deposit but will be going back tomorrow to finalize the deal (most likely).

My questions:

1) In case she backs out on this deal. Can she expect to receive the $500 deposit back without any hassle? Or would dealership (i.e. downtown toronto) put up a fuss about it.
2) Is the monthly price reasonable? I asked about why they are charging for PDI but they said we were given discounts to offset this.
3) She prefers mini suv - i think comparable to GLA or NX200t would going with X1 be okay?

Thanks
booblehead wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:25 pm
calling booblehead for his opinion too.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1562 posts
58 upvotes
martinliu0322 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 5:38 pm
I have the car for about 10 months now and it has 14,300 km on it. It said i need to do the oil change when it hits 15,000 km. I am just wondering when can i call them and arrange the oil change? How long does it take to change it usually? Because there was one time my friend try to contact them and they said it is too early to schedule an appointment, wait till you getting closer to 15,000, they will call you. So anyone know are they gonna contact me if i am almost 15,000? or i have to call them? Also, i can only go to do the oil change on certain day. Let said i go over 15,000, is it ok? will they still change it for me?
I was told by a few different dealers that you have to be within 2000km for BMW to pay for the oil change. If you want to do the oil change sooner, you can pay out of pocket of course Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Missing parameter on your query:
- term. I will assume it's 36 months for now.
- mileage assumed at 20,000km per year

- no charge color
- no upgrade on seat
- Premium package (not the premium enhanced)
- no other option package
- driving assistance plus option

2) - Giving the above. $555 (including taxes) OTR is very fair & decent, as long the below parameters are also met.

Due on delivery -
* 1st month lease payment + security deposit of approx. one month of lease payment
* $2,000 (+ HST) down and due on delivery
* $95 fuel charge
* license plate transfer admin fee. I believe if BMW Toronto is going to charge you on this, it is between $100 - $200 for this excessive handling charge. You may want to see the paper work before signing. Other dealer typical charge for this admin fee would be $20 at most.
* If new license plate & sticker are needed, then you will have to pay this as well (face value as based on what MTO charges)
* Traditionally, dealer admin fee of $400 - $500, OMVIC fee, A/C tax, tire levy and PPSA (approx. $50) would also be due on delivery. I am assuming these fees would be included in the lease payment, if you have to pay them, then it would be up to you to negotiate to pay all, except the dealer admin fee.
* Do watch out dealer will throw in other bogus charges as well, wheel locks, mats, VIN etching admin fee in which you can say no to all of them. None of them are mandatory fees.

1) If you are going to back out of the proposed deal, having the $500 deposit returned to you will depend on how and what structure/condition you have written onto it. Therefore, I cannot tell you how the dealer will play you if you want out. Hopefully, you do have something in writing. Verbal agreement does not hold much ground, IMO. It's the "I thought, you meant ... " type of argument scenario.

3) Whoever is doing the driving should have test drove the cars under consideration. I hope the deposit was given based on the fact the X1 was preferred over the others due to personal reason.

Lastly, if you decide to go with the X1, before you sign any paper, you should discuss with dealer whether the car has ever been in accident and/or repairs done in-house. If dealer says none, you should have the dealer to put this fact in writing onto the agreement. (Just for your own protection at lease ends)

Added note to the X1 demo vs brand new unused:
If you are to go out and get a brand new one today, this identical spec. car with $2,000 (+HST) down and same term would typically run you about $625 per month (taxes included). Therefore, you are potentially looking at a saving of around $70 per month (taxes incl.) * 36 months

zetx wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:13 pm
hi asking for a friend..

Got a quote on demo 2017 x1 xdrive28i (555 tax incl. with 2k down). This was a demo with 2600km on it with premium + light package included.

They are charging PDI 1295$ Fuel 95$ Freight $1085 as well. My friend put down a $500 deposit but will be going back tomorrow to finalize the deal (most likely).

My questions:

1) In case she backs out on this deal. Can she expect to receive the $500 deposit back without any hassle? Or would dealership (i.e. downtown toronto) put up a fuss about it.
2) Is the monthly price reasonable? I asked about why they are charging for PDI but they said we were given discounts to offset this.
3) She prefers mini suv - i think comparable to GLA or NX200t would going with X1 be okay?

Thanks
Oct 13, 2008
350 posts
41 upvotes
Hi bobblehead,

Thanks for such detailed insight into this.

It is 48 month lease with 16k/year she is not a frequent driver. It has premium essential with zdv (whatever that is)

Another question I have is whether dealer can charge PDI and freight on demo vehicle. Can I ask rep or manager to waive this off?

Also how likely would they waive a/C, omvic, ppsa? They charged 100 for ac 10 for omvic and 54 for ppsa.

On the bill it says that vehicle licencing fee is not included can I negotiate this to 20$ claiming that other dealers charge that much? Other than this there are no hidden fees. They gave about $3400 in discount in total. I'm going to ask them about the vehicle history but I feel like they would just say it's perfect and not to worry even if there is something wrong. Is there a way to push them to tell the truth? (I.e. ask them to provide car fax report?)

How good is this deal now that I have provided more info?

Person With Folded Hands thanks
booblehead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:02 am
Missing parameter on your query:
- term. I will assume it's 36 months for now.
- mileage assumed at 20,000km per year

- no charge color
- no upgrade on seat
- Premium package (not the premium enhanced)
- no other option package
- driving assistance plus option

2) - Giving the above. $555 (including taxes) OTR is very fair & decent, as long the below parameters are also met.

Due on delivery -
* 1st month lease payment + security deposit of approx. one month of lease payment
* $2,000 (+ HST) down and due on delivery
* $95 fuel charge
* license plate transfer admin fee. I believe if BMW Toronto is going to charge you on this, it is between $100 - $200 for this excessive handling charge. You may want to see the paper work before signing. Other dealer typical charge for this admin fee would be $20 at most.
* If new license plate & sticker are needed, then you will have to pay this as well (face value as based on what MTO charges)
* Traditionally, dealer admin fee of $400 - $500, OMVIC fee, A/C tax, tire levy and PPSA (approx. $50) would also be due on delivery. I am assuming these fees would be included in the lease payment, if you have to pay them, then it would be up to you to negotiate to pay all, except the dealer admin fee.
* Do watch out dealer will throw in other bogus charges as well, wheel locks, mats, VIN etching admin fee in which you can say no to all of them. None of them are mandatory fees.

1) If you are going to back out of the proposed deal, having the $500 deposit returned to you will depend on how and what structure/condition you have written onto it. Therefore, I cannot tell you how the dealer will play you if you want out. Hopefully, you do have something in writing. Verbal agreement does not hold much ground, IMO. It's the "I thought, you meant ... " type of argument scenario.

3) Whoever is doing the driving should have test drove the cars under consideration. I hope the deposit was given based on the fact the X1 was preferred over the others due to personal reason.

Lastly, if you decide to go with the X1, before you sign any paper, you should discuss with dealer whether the car has ever been in accident and/or repairs done in-house. If dealer says none, you should have the dealer to put this fact in writing onto the agreement. (Just for your own protection at lease ends)

Added note to the X1 demo vs brand new unused:
If you are to go out and get a brand new one today, this identical spec. car with $2,000 (+HST) down and same term would typically run you about $625 per month (taxes included). Therefore, you are potentially looking at a saving of around $70 per month (taxes incl.) * 36 months
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
If this is for 48 months term.

Then dealer is lying to you of having the freight/pdi fees waived. This demo offer is the same kind of deal if you were to get a brand new one, which works out to be 6.5% discount off the MSRP. If you want to stay in this demo offer, you will need to be looking at $500 per month (taxes included and all fees included) to make it a worthwhile deal. Due on delivery still remains $2,000 (+HST), 1st & security, $95 fuel and license. Nothing more.

The dealer is already deceiving you by telling you they have to charge but offset by higher discount ... well, the $555 figure certainly does not work out to be the case at all. I suggest you are to submit just one number (as I have suggested) and go from there.

As for licensing admin fee, you can certainly say other bimmer dealer charges $20, why are you charging $100+ for this. Everything is negotiable and if you don't like the overall deal, then just get up and walk. Besides, there are no factory incentives now for the X1 anyway, if you want to wait for April, then do so .. or you can revisit the Lexus NX to see anything is going on over there. I can work out the numbers for you on the NX too for comparison.

Note: if you can get it down to $500 per month vs the dealer quote of $555 per month, difference of $55 * 48 months = $2640 saving which would be the equivalent of having the freight/pdi taken off.

zetx wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:48 am
Hi bobblehead,

Thanks for such detailed insight into this.

It is 48 month lease with 16k/year she is not a frequent driver. It has premium essential with zdv (whatever that is)

Another question I have is whether dealer can charge PDI and freight on demo vehicle. Can I ask rep or manager to waive this off?

Also how likely would they waive a/C, omvic, ppsa? They charged 100 for ac 10 for omvic and 54 for ppsa.

On the bill it says that vehicle licencing fee is not included can I negotiate this to 20$ claiming that other dealers charge that much? Other than this there are no hidden fees. They gave about $3400 in discount in total. I'm going to ask them about the vehicle history but I feel like they would just say it's perfect and not to worry even if there is something wrong. Is there a way to push them to tell the truth? (I.e. ask them to provide car fax report?)

How good is this deal now that I have provided more info?

Person With Folded Hands thanks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
@zetx

Here is a quick price estimate for the NX 200t - premium special edition - MSRP $47,350.

Current factory credit $2500
Assumed 6.5% discount off from dealer side
All fees rolled into monthly payment
39 months
1.9%
16,000km per year
$2,000 + HST down payment - Due on delivery

Projected monthly payment - $550 per month (taxes included)

Due on delivery:
1st month + security (if applicable)
license cost
Oct 13, 2008
350 posts
41 upvotes
The price does Include freight/PDI.

How much % of discount should I be expecting? She already signed for the deposit but the dealer wrote on the bill - final price to be discussed and wrote NOT final sale with his signature. Does this mean she can negotiate the price still?
booblehead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 10:04 am
If this is for 48 months term.

Then dealer is lying to you of having the freight/pdi fees waived. This demo offer is the same kind of deal if you were to get a brand new one, which works out to be 6.5% discount off the MSRP. If you want to stay in this demo offer, you will need to be looking at $500 per month (taxes included and all fees included) to make it a worthwhile deal. Due on delivery still remains $2,000 (+HST), 1st & security, $95 fuel and license. Nothing more.

The dealer is already deceiving you by telling you they have to charge but offset by higher discount ... well, the $555 figure certainly does not work out to be the case at all. I suggest you are to submit just one number (as I have suggested) and go from there.

As for licensing admin fee, you can certainly say other bimmer dealer charges $20, why are you charging $100+ for this. Everything is negotiable and if you don't like the overall deal, then just get up and walk. Besides, there are no factory incentives now for the X1 anyway, if you want to wait for April, then do so .. or you can revisit the Lexus NX to see anything is going on over there. I can work out the numbers for you on the NX too for comparison.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17163 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Like you said, the $555 does include the freight/pdi but the so-called higher discount given by dealer (as claimed) is nowhere near the $2400 to offset it.

Let the dealer work your offering numbers backward and in the end, that's what matters to you is paying my suggested $500 (taxes included and all fees included). Make sure the due on delivery is what I have suggested as well.

Based on what you said about not being final. She does have escape clause to get her deposit back if the final price is not what she likes. If she really want the car and dealer counters, I would say $510 (taxes included and all fees included) would be acceptable too. Again the due on delivery should have no more fees
Oct 13, 2008
350 posts
41 upvotes
Sent you a pm.
booblehead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:47 pm
Like you said, the $555 does include the freight/pdi but the so-called higher discount given by dealer (as claimed) is nowhere near the $2400 to offset it.

Let the dealer work your offering numbers backward and in the end, that's what matters to you is paying my suggested $500 (taxes included and all fees included). Make sure the due on delivery is what I have suggested as well.

Based on what you said about not being final. She does have escape clause to get her deposit back if the final price is not what she likes. If she really want the car and dealer counters, I would say $510 (taxes included and all fees included) would be acceptable too. Again the due on delivery should have no more fees
Apr 8, 2010
105 posts
13 upvotes
My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a 2017 BMW X5 xDrive35i with M Sport line and premium enhanced package. After reading through the post, is it fair to say that we should aim for a 6.5% discount over the MSRP price? the base price of the car is 67500 + 4000 for M sport + 6900 for premium enhanced package = 78400 x 0.065 = 5096. So at least $5000 discount is what we should aim for? we went to 2 different BMW dealership, one only quoted a $2000 discount, the other $3000, that's far off from the $5000 that I wish to get. I was wondering if anyone happened to purchase a 2016 or 2017 BMW X5 35i and have more than $3000 off the price? (if you can share the invoice with me and I can show the salesperson, maybe they will finally believe me)

In addition, we are thinking about trading in our 2015 BMW X3 Xdrive28i, with premium enhanced package with only 24000km. How much should we aim to get for trade-in? has anyone actually sold their bmw privately through autotrader or Kijiji? thanks in advance
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel