Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3468 posts
2682 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'll bet that they launched a new program starting this month whereby there's more leeway for the dealership to make more money on the finance side.

At least reading between the lines this is how I read it. So BMW Financial Services will provide baseline rates and promos and individual dealerships will choose if they want to mark it up further or not. Just speculation on my part but their actions and their response seem to indicate this is the direction theyre moving in.
Mar 6, 2017
70 posts
33 upvotes
This kind of stuff is usually initiated by the retail side of the industry. Dealers were most likely looking to make a few extra bucks and the corporate guys obliged.

It's a shame as I was about to potentially purchase an X5, I will be heavily considering the competition now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24516 posts
9432 upvotes
Toronto
Test drive event for the new 5 series (you do have the option to pick any other models you like though, just no M cars) ... pick your dealer and day/time and have fun with it

Last time I took one of this event, I got some freebies. Is this worthwhile ? Depends on if you have anything better to do. I am taking the new 5 series out for a spin.

https://www.driveforthefuture.ca/en/events
May 8, 2016
185 posts
80 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 7:37 am
Test drive event for the new 5 series (you do have the option to pick any other models you like though, just no M cars) ... pick your dealer and day/time and have fun with it

Last time I took one of this event, I got some freebies. Is this worthwhile ? Depends on if you have anything better to do. I am taking the new 5 series out for a spin.

https://www.driveforthefuture.ca/en/events
Hmm "receive an exclusive purchase offer" not sure if I buy that haha
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24516 posts
9432 upvotes
Toronto
KSport wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 4:16 pm
Hmm "receive an exclusive purchase offer" not sure if I buy that haha
I am leaving my credit card at home on the day.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1814 posts
132 upvotes
Anyone know where I can buy a piece of jack pad for a BMW in the GTA? Is the dealer only place to get these? Roughly, how much do they cost?

I was going to swap tires myself but it looks like I'll need that piece of accessory if I don't want to damage the jack points on the vehicle.

Thanks
Aug 23, 2014
171 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EL820 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 5:54 pm
Anyone know where I can buy a piece of jack pad for a BMW in the GTA? Is the dealer only place to get these? Roughly, how much do they cost?

I was going to swap tires myself but it looks like I'll need that piece of accessory if I don't want to damage the jack points on the vehicle.

Thanks
Amazon canada has it. I pad $7 for mine.

If your jack's saddle has a rubber surface (like mine) it won't damage the jackpoint even if you do it a few times without a jackpad.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1814 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks BH & Jedi.

BH, there is no address of that seller to the link you provided.

I borrowed the neighour's jack, and the saddle does appear to have a piece of hard rubber on top but it's worn out. I tried to put a piece of 2x4 on the saddle but I don't have enough clearance to slip the jack underneath the car to hoist it up. Argh...what a pain!!

Delivery from the seller on Amazon Canada is May 8- 30 haha. I guess I'll dealer tomorrow and hope it won't cost me a smaller fortune for that jack pad.
Aug 23, 2014
171 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
EL820 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 11:46 pm
Thanks BH & Jedi.

I borrowed the neighour's jack, and the saddle does appear to have a piece of hard rubber on top but it's worn out. I tried to put a piece of 2x4 on the saddle but I don't have enough clearance to slip the jack underneath the car to hoist it up. Argh...what a pain!!

Delivery from the seller on Amazon Canada is May 8- 30 haha. I guess I'll dealer tomorrow and hope it won't cost me a smaller fortune for that jack pad.
You can try a hockey puck too (with a low profile jack). BMW owners in other forums have successfully used this.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24516 posts
9432 upvotes
Toronto
The hockey puck method should work as well. Just be careful.

As for the link I sent, you have to contact him thru the "contact us" so he can arrange it with you.

EL820 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 11:46 pm
Thanks BH & Jedi.

Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1814 posts
132 upvotes
BMW dealer wants $44 for one jack pad. No way I'm paying $50 for that.

Using a hockey puck sounds like a good idea. I'll go it a go today or tomorrow. I'll be extra carefully. This will be my first time swapping tires myself. Thanks for the advise folks. Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24516 posts
9432 upvotes
Toronto
Just duct tape the hockey puck to the jack (to secure)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5268 posts
1138 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
EL820 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 10:25 am
BMW dealer wants $44 for one jack pad. No way I'm paying $50 for that.

Using a hockey puck sounds like a good idea. I'll go it a go today or tomorrow. I'll be extra carefully. This will be my first time swapping tires myself. Thanks for the advise folks. Thumbs Up Sign
My jack has the "soft" pad so I just use that. You could also use some cloth of towel to prevent scratches. Probably the cheapest way.
Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT - Business Development -
Serving Western Canada since 2013
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12495 posts
8662 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FirstGear wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 6:21 pm
My jack has the "soft" pad so I just use that. You could also use some cloth of towel to prevent scratches. Probably the cheapest way.
Scratches? The jack point is a plastic insert which breaks easily when an adaptor isn't used. Hockey has been a popular diy (people cut a channel into it) or purchasing a 3rd party one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

p110232