Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:39 pm
M3's come fairly loaded already though.
Still not enough bling .. they are bought by the 20-30's something .
Mar 14, 2006
904 posts
249 upvotes
Coquitlam
EP32k2 wrote:
May 25th, 2017 6:39 pm
M3's come fairly loaded already though.
With enjoying my car and re-sale value in mind I thought for a few months before deciding on how to order my 2016 M3. The 2016 M3 does come very well equipped (navigation, Harmon Kardon stereo, 19” wheels, comfort access, alarm, heated seats, heated steering wheel, 2 saveable M driving modes, carbon fibre roof and mirrors) but is missing a few options that makes a bare bones $75,000 M3 miss a few options that most buyers would expect in a $50,000 car never mind a $75,000 car. Besides the $900 adaptive suspension I think the $4,500 premium package is the only option you really want or need because this includes the awesome heads up display and the backup camera and parking distance control and XM radio. Leather is fortunately now included standard in the 2017 M3 but was included in the premium package for 2016.......leather is also something most buyers would expect in a M3.

Personally I think the standard xenon lights are great at night and I would never spend $5,000 on the executive package for a little bit of extra leather on the dash, surround view camera, and LED lights. You will be lucky to get another $1,000 for these options when you sell the car or trade it in after 4 or 5 years. I am glad I also much prefer the 6 speed manual because I think $3,900 for the DCT transmission is ridiculous and takes away most of the fun of driving the M3. At $75,000 to $80,000 I think the M3 is a relatively good value but at $90,000 or more I don’t think I would have bought the M3.

Something else to keep in mind is there aren’t many other legitimate serious sports sedan contenders with legitimate back room space. The Cadillac ATS, Lexus RC F, Mercedes C63, and Audi seemed to all have 1” to 4” less rear seat legroom. I drive my 2 teenage daughters to school everyday and at 5”9” each I needed a sporty fun car with lots of legroom in the rear seats.
Mar 6, 2008
448 posts
190 upvotes
Ottawa
The_Professor wrote:
May 25th, 2017 3:50 pm
Just curious, but what do those of you with run flat tires do if you want to put winter tires on your BMW's? Do you just keep a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk in case, or do you purchase a temporary spare tire?
I keep a 12v air compressor and a tire plug kit in the car. Worst case scenario, I'd just get BMW's tow service to take me home and I can take the tire off to plug it myself in a warmer environment, or deal with it then.

I am re-thinking this year whether to continue purchasing non-RFT winter tires, or going with RFT. I do make a few trips between Ottawa and Toronto every year, and it would suck to get a blow out on the road.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12474 posts
8650 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yodums wrote:
May 25th, 2017 7:46 pm
I keep a 12v air compressor and a tire plug kit in the car. Worst case scenario, I'd just get BMW's tow service to take me home and I can take the tire off to plug it myself in a warmer environment, or deal with it then.

I am re-thinking this year whether to continue purchasing non-RFT winter tires, or going with RFT. I do make a few trips between Ottawa and Toronto every year, and it would suck to get a blow out on the road.
blow outs are a rare occurrence. RFT's are so not worth it.
Mar 31, 2017
25 posts
8 upvotes
Does anyone know if there are any changes for the 2018 X1 and when you can start ordering?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
technically, the MY18 X1 ordering guide should now be available. The start of production should be sometimes in July 2017 and delivery (if ordered now) is likely in around mid to late Sept
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2731 posts
824 upvotes
Toronto
Yodums wrote:
May 25th, 2017 7:46 pm

I experienced BMW's roadside assistance first hand earlier this year as the M3 had a flat on the 401.

It's the worst - they refuse to take you home and are only willing to take it to a BMW dealership in the area and then take you to the cleaners by charging you $9328428348234823848234.83 for tires.

As others have mentioned, the tire foam kit that comes with the car in the trunk is garbage.

I'd definitely recommend getting a CAA membership instead.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
test drive event

I test drove a M550 today, well, not much of a test drive at all as the dealer was running very behind in having to fit in so many people who showed up, I waited for about 45 minutes to get my turn.

The guy who came with me has absolutely no knowledge of the car at all, he was unable to answer the few questions I had for him (I suspect the guy is a car jockey .. not a SA .. hehe). Anyway, the guy told me where to take the car and ended up driving on some local roads which have a speed limit of 50kph and after <10 minutes and <6-7 blocks of driving, he told me to head back to the dealership and I was done. I did not even have a chance to see what this car can do on the hwy at all (unlike the last test drive event about 5 yrs ago). What a waste of my time. Luckily, I am so happened to be in the area from my weekend errands.

Impression on the M550 (whatever I have briefly encountered).
- interior is a touch nicer than the F10 550/M5. It does have upgrade leather seat though
- handling is very light. No road feel and I was driving in sport mode already. Expected but that's not what I like on a $95K car.
- fake exhaust sound piped into the cabin. Kind of sporty but fake noise does not impress me.
- It feels lighter than my last F10 5 series.
- Is it fast ? Sorry, I don't know. I guess I will never find out !! :rolleyes: Because I will likely never buy another bmw ... at least in the next 10 yrs.
Nov 14, 2001
987 posts
128 upvotes
Mississauga
I drove the M550 too. I got the kid to tag along too. He allowed me to go on the 400 so I was able to get it to good speed. And it is fast in sport mode.

Didn't have to wait too long.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
^lucky you Winking Face

Next time if I go, I just go there to eat. Free lunch on the house.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3465 posts
2679 upvotes
Oakville, ON
booblehead wrote:
May 29th, 2017 3:17 pm
^lucky you Winking Face

Next time if I go, I just go there to eat. Free lunch on the house.
What did the free gift turn out to be?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
I did not stick around to see what they were giving out.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12474 posts
8650 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm guessing a bottle of water lol
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24490 posts
9413 upvotes
Toronto
I got an appreciation email for attending the test drive event.

The offer is $1500 credit towards the purchase of a 5 series within the next 60 days at any dealer.

If I recalled the amount is a bit less for other models. The highest is $2000 credit for 6/7 series
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5268 posts
1138 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Finally got half a day off to pick up my new F83 M4. Loving it

Consultant
- Oilfield & Industrial Services - Finance - IT - Business Development -
Serving Western Canada since 2013