BMW questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 2:07 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to say. If that is their policy, then move on to another dealership. If you do end up buying, then TCbmw loses out on your commission, so it's their loss.
thisblowsgoatsbigtime wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:15 pm
I phoned BMW Town and Country to inquire about test driving the 2018 X3 M40i. I was told that they don't allow people to test drive M series vehicles. I'd only be able to test drive the 4 cylinder X3.

Is this how it is at all BMW dealers?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
some indy mechanic works on a flat rate basis, say for replacing the brakes (change out rotors and pads). I think the typical indy rate would be around $100 - $120 /hr.

Some indy may not have the necessary equipment to do diagnostic into issues such as electronic. Therefore, in some situation, you would have to bring the car back to the dealer.
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:43 pm
For those who take their cars to independents in the GTA, where do you buy your parts and how much is the book rate for the honest and reputable shops?

What is the normal upkeep per year to maintain a 3 or 4 series with auto transmissions after the four year warranty is over?

What are some things the independents are not able to fix?

I still like the BMW exterior over the MB's and Audi and VW took shortcuts going with the defeat devices so I am not really too interested in supporting that kind of shady business.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8230 posts
2394 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 4:43 pm
For those who take their cars to independents in the GTA, where do you buy your parts and how much is the book rate for the honest and reputable shops?

What is the normal upkeep per year to maintain a 3 or 4 series with auto transmissions after the four year warranty is over?

What are some things the independents are not able to fix?

I still like the BMW exterior over the MB's and Audi and VW took shortcuts going with the defeat devices so I am not really too interested in supporting that kind of shady business.
You know BMW is no better right? BMW headquarters recently got raided. They are being accused of price affixing urea and components, as well as emissions! Listen at the end of the day all the German brands use Bosch shit and I mean it literally. Most failures can be sourced back to bosh made components. So if one German manufacturer is accused of cheating they all are as far as I'm concerned.
Sep 13, 2008
636 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
How are BMW residuals? Do they tend to be high, normal or low as compared to other relative brands? I got quotes for 36 month leases for 2018 Audi SQ5 and 2018 BMW X3 M40i. The SQ5 has a 62% residual and the X3 M40i has a 57% residual. This is something that will weigh on my decision. Can residuals be negotiated?
Sep 13, 2008
636 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:09 pm
No.
Your only negotiation tool is discount
what are the chances they are willing to give larger discount due to their residual being worse than Audi? I can get loyalty discount from Audi - which is something I'm willing to forgo for the BMW, but difference in payment due to residual + loyalty will make it difficult to justify choosing BMW.
Mar 27, 2012
183 posts
81 upvotes
redwings_patriots wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:19 am
what are the chances they are willing to give larger discount due to their residual being worse than Audi? I can get loyalty discount from Audi - which is something I'm willing to forgo for the BMW, but difference in payment due to residual + loyalty will make it difficult to justify choosing BMW.
They're only going to discount whatever margin is on the vehicle. You'll get the standard 6-7% but not more than that. Don't forget that interest rates and residual values go hand in hand, they increase one and decrease the other. You have to look at the overall cost over the term of the lease.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
redwings_patriots wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:19 am
The spread is too great for the greater discount to be asked. I think you are better off (financially) on the SQ5 as we are talking easily $4000 of payment differences over the 36 months lease term
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
1842 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I was at Autohaus today for warranty service and they have a brand new shiny 2018 Alpine White M2 w/ DCT in the showroom! If I recall, they were asking low to mid $70's

I still need to test drive one.. :(
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
I say wait for the 2019 M2CS .. esp. if you are going to spend this kind of $ anyway ... may as well get your $ worth and probably even a better resale value down the road.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/bmw-m2 ... e-new.html
marcsterr wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:09 pm
I was at Autohaus today for warranty service and they have a brand new shiny 2018 Alpine White M2 w/ DCT in the showroom! If I recall, they were asking low to mid $70's

I still need to test drive one.. :(
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7394 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
Silly question, do you think my BMW dealer will charge me if I want to replace all my wheelock lugbolts w/ reg ones? Where do you recommend buying those 4 reg bolts? Tx.

I can't stand them, pita, if they wanna steal my wheels, go ahead. Just hate the hassle and now I finally experienced my 1st broken bolt.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
dealer will always want to charge you, no matter what. The wheel locks are crap this day and break off easily (esp. when the wheel shop are using their high power equipment to loosen and tighten them).

If you want to buy the regular bolts, they are M14 x 1.25. Probably retail for like $5 - 7 each at dealer. If possible, ask for discount
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7394 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:24 pm
dealer will always want to charge you, no matter what. The wheel locks are crap this day and break off easily (esp. when the wheel shop are using their high power equipment to loosen and tighten them).

If you want to buy the regular bolts, they are M14 x 1.25. Probably retail for like $5 - 7 each at dealer. If possible, ask for discount
So play safe and buy from dealer directly, don't bother w/ aftermkt, no pt I guess?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18785 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
for $30 (roughly). Just spend the $ and be done and save gas running around

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

porsche