BMW questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 1:13 am
Jan 27, 2013
131 posts
25 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 8:24 am
always shoot for min. 6% and no bogus fees. You can start off asking 7%. May factory program starts today, do check to see if there is any credit allowance. btw, the X4 will have a facelift and due out late spring/mid summer 2018. Therefore, the chances of seeing a good factory credit allowance may begin around early spring 2018.
I've been emailing several dealerships to secure a test drive of the X3 M40i. I finally secured one, then several other dealerships I emailed get back to me to offer a test drive. I tell them that I've already scheduled a test drive for later this week. Multiple dealerships asked me to contact them after the test drive to discuss pricing. Better yet, 2 dealerships flat out offer 5.5% and 5% respectively off MSRP and options.

On the Unhaggle website, shows markup as 7%. How can I justify asking for 7% off?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18782 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
for MY2018 ... 5 - 5.5% is a decent start, given the car is pretty new (into this model year). You can establish your offer of asking 6% as your goal and no bogus fees (mats, nitrogen, wheel locks, vin etching, etc.)

As for unhaggle invoice cost suggesting 7% markup by the dealer ... absolutely no way in the universe a luxury brand will have a lower markup margin than a Toyota, Honda, etc ... hence, I have been saying their so-called margin should fall near the 9.5% range. btw, MB has a margin markup of around 11.5%, so is Lexus too (as far as I am aware)
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1596 posts
61 upvotes
thisblowsgoatsbigtime wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:53 pm
On the Unhaggle website, shows markup as 7%. How can I justify asking for 7% off?
Now it's only 7%?!?! I still don't believe that BS!

Say the dealer gives you 5%, a $80k car would yield the dealer $1600. They still have to pay the sales guy, the sales manager, the GM and their multi million facility. They tell the story that they make their money in service. For the first 3-4 years, how much service does a new vehicle need and how much can they make from this? The numbers they tell just don't add up for me.
Dec 26, 2007
62 posts
13 upvotes
Hello Booblehead
I am looking at a 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i service/demo with m sport & essential pack with leather, about 2500KM. What kind of OTR price should i offer?
On the other hand, for a similar new 2018, what do you suggest?

Thank You sir.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18782 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
For the 17 demo, you should be asking for at least 13.5% off the configured MSRP (given the November 2017 factory credit is $2500 + $750 added bonus to clear the leftovers .. for brand new one). Also you will have to negotiate the freight/pdi are not to be charged as well (that's another $2500). Based on your options listed, MSRP when new would be $58,000 and with the discount you should be looking for .... the net amount to offer would be $50,000 + dealer admin fee (if you desire to pay) + taxes. Also get in writing from dealer that car was never in any accidents and/or repairs done in house.

For the 18, you are looking at much more $ as you are really looking at getting around 6% dealer discount as there is no factory incentive going on this month

Sumba wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:30 am
Hello Booblehead
I am looking at a 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i service/demo with m sport & essential pack with leather, about 2500KM. What kind of OTR price should i offer?
On the other hand, for a similar new 2018, what do you suggest?

Thank You sir.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1889 posts
364 upvotes
I'm currently coming across a lot of 2014/2015 3series at a great price with low km. However, almost none of them comes with a mandatory feature that I am looking for in a car - power/manual lumbar adjust on the drivers seat.

Does anyone know if lumbar adjust is not offered on these cars at all? Or is there a specific trim/package that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18782 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
2014 + 2015
- 320 - not offered
- 328 - exec pkg incl. lumbar
- 335 - prem pkg incl. lumbar
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9991 posts
373 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Are there decent after market Winter tires for a 2014 228i? I test drove the one in town I posted (refresher link) about a few pages ago and loved it. The concern is I don't usually put winter tires, but a RWD car in Winter without them is probably not drivable. Moncton averages ~9 feet of snow in the Winter, I don't have a garage and yes, both our SUV with AWD and my current FWD car have both gotten stuck in the driveway even if I shovel multiple times each snowfall.

Another option, which my wife prefers, is to wait and see about finding a 2015 with AWD next Spring. That would also let me save up a bit of money for a down payment instead of financing the entire amount but I expect that the car would cost me ~5000$ more vs a similar 2014.

Ps- I asked if they'd take 29k for it and while the salesman didn't flat out reject it, he did say it had reduced twice and they felt it was a good price. But as we're in the Fall, I think they might decide it's better to take a lower price than be stuck holding the car on the lot all Winter.
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18782 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
go with your wife's sentiment. Just a car after all. There will always be something available down the road.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9991 posts
373 upvotes
Moncton, NB
You sure are Johnny on the spot booblehead Winking Face

I had come back to ask for clarification about the timing chain issue someone posted about. Is that still an issue on the 2015s vs. the 2014s? I mentioned it yesterday but he wasn't sure if it had been fixed or was an issue on the car.

And yes, I am thinking I might go with my wife on this one... I can survive with my Forte another 6-8 months
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18782 posts
4063 upvotes
Toronto
problem parts would likely have been replaced but the revised parts are a 'hit & miss', thus the reason BMW came out with a revised new design for the MY2015 which should reduce/eliminate the questionable replacement parts issue. If you can avoid any N20/26 engines from MY2012-2014, then do so.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9991 posts
373 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Thanks as always booblehead
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40917 posts
9840 upvotes
Feneant wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:53 am
Are there decent after market Winter tires for a 2014 228i? I test drove the one in town I posted (refresher link) about a few pages ago and loved it. The concern is I don't usually put winter tires, but a RWD car in Winter without them is probably not drivable. Moncton averages ~9 feet of snow in the Winter, I don't have a garage and yes, both our SUV with AWD and my current FWD car have both gotten stuck in the driveway even if I shovel multiple times each snowfall.

Another option, which my wife prefers, is to wait and see about finding a 2015 with AWD next Spring. That would also let me save up a bit of money for a down payment instead of financing the entire amount but I expect that the car would cost me ~5000$ more vs a similar 2014.

Ps- I asked if they'd take 29k for it and while the salesman didn't flat out reject it, he did say it had reduced twice and they felt it was a good price. But as we're in the Fall, I think they might decide it's better to take a lower price than be stuck holding the car on the lot all Winter.
Nothing to do with BMW's but why don't you consider switching to winter tires though? I think people with RWD manage well the winters in Ontario with a good set of winter tires.
Jul 21, 2011
4 posts
Mississauga
Hi everyone, I'm looking to lease a 2017 X6 x35i and I need some advice since I don't have prior experience buying a vehicle in Canada and most of the information I've found online comes from US customers, which might not be accurate for the Canadian market.

From what I see on Edmunds.com the MF and residuals for the 2017 X6 are currently at 0.00152 and 58% for a 36mnth/16000km. There's also a $4000 lease credit but I haven't seen this offered on bmw.ca, so maybe it's US only. Does Canada get any incentives for Nov/Dec? I'm assuming that we get the same residuals in Canada but the MF might be different. What is a good MF to negotiate given that I have good credit? How much of a discount can I try for off the MSRP for the 2017 X6. What are some things to look out for when leasing? I have tried to get up to speed with the basics (knowing not to negotiate for monthly payments, looking out for bogus fees, etc.) but I'm sure there's plenty more to learn.

Reading posts from this thread have already been quite informative, but I haven't been able to find much specific to the X6. Any advice is appreciated! :) Sorry for the long post