• Dec 13th, 2017 10:35 pm
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8305 posts
2449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:17 am
What is the difference between Pre-Owned and Certified Series Pre-Owned vehicles on bmw.ca? When I filter for the latter, zero cars show up, when I take it off and filter for AWD and automatic transmission, I get about 56 hits.

Benefits:
http://www.parkviewbmw.com/bmw-certified-series/
Certified Series comes with extended warranty and preowned doesn't. There won't be a lot of CPO anymore due to the extreme cost of the warranty now. Extended warranty for a 3 series runs well over $4k now.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10222 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:27 am
Certified Series comes with extended warranty and preowned doesn't. There won't be a lot of CPO anymore due to the extreme cost of the warranty now. Extended warranty for a 3 series runs well over $4k now.
I see, thanks for clarifying. If I dont get a BEV, I might settle for a 228xi AT if the four of us can fit in.

Can I buy the extended warranty from a different dealership or am I stuck with the one selling the car?
Not sure what is the age/km cut off to be eligible for the extended warranty.

How's the extended warranty coverage? Are there lots of exclusions?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18906 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto
you can buy from any bmw dealers. there can be no lapse in warranty, from orig. to extended warranty period, meaning it has to be a continuation.

bmw extended warranty coverage is pretty much like an extension of orig. factory warranty.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10222 upvotes
Perfect. Thanks both.

It seems 2014-15 models listed on bmw.ca can be had for 0.9% (maybe over two years, hopefully up to four haha).

228 was preferred over the 235 but in manual transmission and RWD format.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... ison-test/

It seems dynamic cruise control wasn't even offered on these. But BMW does make a distinction between the older dynamic cruise control and the newer active cruise control with stop/go.

Or maybe DCC was standard, hopefully also in Canada
https://jalopnik.com/bmw-2-series-the-u ... 1759541993
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8305 posts
2449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was talking to my good friend that works at bmw about the timing chain issues on the 28i. He said it is a problem with them failing prematurely but has never seen a catastrophic failure with it breaking. He said the timing chain starts making noises well before a complete failure occurs.

Only time he has seen a catastrophic failure was when a customer decided that the car doesn't need an oil change and went 35k before the engine seized. BMW flat out denied any warranty work.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10222 upvotes
For the 228xi or 235xi (xDrive only available on 2015 and up), everyone wanting to get out of his/her lease on leasebuster has a 2016 or newer model. Do people typically lease BMW's on a three year term? I mean the warranty is good for four years right but I don't see any potential lease takovers on 2015 models.

Then every 2014 and 2015 model have been returned to BMW and are now being put up for sale on autotrader or on bmw.ca

The same cars are being listed for sale on the two sites.

It seems it's better to watch out for potential lease takeovers because at least with that, there is no additional profit to be made by a BMW dealership.

What do you guys think? These cars are basically very impractical for many households. (rear seat space, two-door, potential high maintenance) but I read it's very fun to drive. :)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18906 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto
If you can do a leasetakeover + getting couple of months of incentive payments from current owner, incl. paying for the inspection and lease admin fee, then I think it 's worth looking into it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10222 upvotes
Thanks. I guess that's what the "make an offer" button is for.

What would be a reasonable incentive to ask, 2 months + inspection and lease admin fee? What kind of inspection at the minimum to be performed by the BMW dealership?

I confirmed that my family can fit in a 2 Series with no problem and ingress and egress is okay with the power adjustable seats with the two buttons.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18906 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto
Yup. That would be fair, IMO. Also, do check out on the leases on whether it has excess wear & tear protection plan coverage as it may enhance your decision to take it over.

As part of main task, dealer will check for anything that may be broken (perhaps from normal wear and/or items in need of immediate attention, like worn brakes and tires which are not covered under warranty and they would be expensive for you to pay for).
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2012
1009 posts
195 upvotes
London
Does anyone have a 2018 340i? I'm trying to figure out if the digital instrument cluster is standard or if it is a part of a package. The 2018 ordering guide doesn't mention it at all for the 340i model. It only mentions the digital cluster (6WB) as a part of the 330/328 M Sport II Package.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8305 posts
2449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kwando wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:59 pm
Does anyone have a 2018 340i? I'm trying to figure out if the digital instrument cluster is standard or if it is a part of a package. The 2018 ordering guide doesn't mention it at all for the 340i model. It only mentions the digital cluster (6WB) as a part of the 330/328 M Sport II Package.
It's not standard.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41547 posts
10222 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:23 pm
Yup. That would be fair, IMO. Also, do check out on the leases on whether it has excess wear & tear protection plan coverage as it may enhance your decision to take it over.

As part of main task, dealer will check for anything that may be broken (perhaps from normal wear and/or items in need of immediate attention, like worn brakes and tires which are not covered under warranty and they would be expensive for you to pay for).
If the lease has excess wear and tear protection, can I force the dealership to fix some of these that are abnormal? Or is worthless if I plan to buy the car out?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18906 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto
If it is abnormal wear, say car has 10,000km and brakes are worn out already, you can discuss with service dept to have them replaced under warranty given such a low mileage situation. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they will normally get this done for you without much fuss.
Mar 19, 2015
119 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 9:04 am
Class action lawsuit in Canada ... for cars with N20 engine

https://www.siskinds.com/bmw-engine/

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/cl ... 01863.html

TORONTO, Oct. 17, 2017 /CNW/ - Siskinds announces that it has commenced a proposed class action against BMW regarding an engine used in numerous BMW models during the period between 2012-2015.

The proposed action alleges that BMW vehicles equipped with the "N20" engine contain defects in the primary and secondary assembly chains. It is alleged that these defects cause the chains to wear out prematurely, resulting in costly repairs borne by the proposed class.

The action seeks to represent all persons who purchased or leased a BMW vehicle containing the N20 engine during the period between 2012-2015.

If you purchased or leased one of these vehicles, please contact Siskinds LLP by phone at 1-800-461-6166 xt. 4228 or by email at laura-marie.paynter@siskinds.com
Just curious, has anyone here signed up for this class action?