Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Oct 18, 2008
12 posts
Hamilton
Thank you very much again. I have one more question. I have also been looking at the 2018 440i Gran Coupe before I saw the 2017 5 series. What are your thoughts on the discount on a loaded 440.

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21852 posts
6858 upvotes
Toronto
18 440 GC current month factory credit allowance is $3000 + whatever you can get off from dealer side (say 6.5%) + freight/pdi + dealer admin fee. Same engine and obviously it's not loaded with tech gadget like the 5 series. If you are leasing and the smaller car will do for you, then go for the 440 GC ... cheaper too with lower interest rate.
Oct 12, 2014
212 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
Is it worth it to tint the front 2 windows, to match the rear privacy glass?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5248 posts
1115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Added a second BMW to my fleet - X5 5.0. I will be taking it somewhat off-road into the bush. Looking forward to seeing how it will do. :D

- Noticed BMW Finance becomes more risk averse if you have multiple vehicles with them; this time they wanted more cash down for a purchase.
- The SUVs do not come with spare tires or run flats anymore... the space right under the cargo space looks like it may just barely squeeze in a smaller spare. Will find out in a little bit.
- The 4.4L TT V8 you can feel more than the base 3.0, though not as noticeable as 3.0 -> X5M.
Consultant & Class 1 Operator
- Oilfield Services - Operations - IT - Recruitment - Financial - Safety -
Serving Western Canada since 2013

To network, or for my website and personal blog, shoot me a message.
Jan 19, 2007
732 posts
242 upvotes
Torontario
FirstGear wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 5:08 pm
Added a second BMW to my fleet - X5 5.0. I will be taking it somewhat off-road into the bush. Looking forward to seeing how it will do. :D
- The SUVs do not come with spare tires or run flats anymore... the space right under the cargo space looks like it may just barely squeeze in a smaller spare. Will find out in a little bit.
I would be severely surprised if BMW dealer is not giving you RFTs as stock for the X5.
Are you sure?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5248 posts
1115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ohnabatko wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 9:15 pm
I would be severely surprised if BMW dealer is not giving you RFTs as stock for the X5.
Are you sure?
Yes - even my 2016 M4 Cabriolet and other new BMWs I looked around on the lot do not come with run flats anymore, unless you specifically request them when manufacturer ordered, or you pick one that specifically came with them. They now instead come with some "emergency tire patch kit". Other manufacturers started to do the same as apparently the general public is not capable of using a spare tire, or checking up on it for that matter.

I also test drove a Cayenne S - same issue - no spare, no run-flats - only tire repair kit. Before I agreed to taking this X5, I bargained 3.1% cash off the sticker and specifically requested winter tires all around, AND another set of tires and rims - partly so I have that extra wheel to use as a spare.

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3280 posts
715 upvotes
Home
FirstGear wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 10:30 am
Yes - even my 2016 M4 Cabriolet and other new BMWs I looked around on the lot do not come with run flats anymore, unless you specifically request them when manufacturer ordered, or you pick one that specifically came with them. They now instead come with some "emergency tire patch kit". Other manufacturers started to do the same as apparently the general public is not capable of using a spare tire, or checking up on it for that matter.

I also test drove a Cayenne S - same issue - no spare, no run-flats - only tire repair kit. Before I agreed to taking this X5, I bargained 3.1% cash off the sticker and specifically requested winter tires all around, AND another set of tires and rims - partly so I have that extra wheel to use as a spare.
Are you sure you didn't choose any optional wheel set?
I just checked in BMW build page, the stock 20' for X5 is RFT.
Koodo $40 6GB
Jan 19, 2007
732 posts
242 upvotes
Torontario
terry0703 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:24 am
I agree - same here.
See below as that might only be true for the staggered setup. The other 2 come with RFTs - 20" and 21"

Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5248 posts
1115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
terry0703 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:24 am
Mine wasn't a manufacturer order - it was one already on the lot. Maybe that's why? Not sure. Either way I'm putting a spare in there.

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2361 posts
372 upvotes
TO
FirstGear wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:56 am
Mine wasn't a manufacturer order - it was one already on the lot. Maybe that's why? Not sure. Either way I'm putting a spare in there.
You drove a Cayenne S and picked an X5 over it???
Dec 14, 2007
663 posts
130 upvotes
tcharged wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 10:00 pm
Maybe because one is much more expensive and he didn't think it's worth it?
Mar 27, 2012
232 posts
100 upvotes
tcharged wrote:
Even comparing the newest generation of the Cayenne S (which would probably be impossible to get within a timely manner) vs. the X5. I would choose the X5. With Cayenne money I could get a 50i X5 with the m-sport package and still have some pocket change left
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5248 posts
1115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
misc049 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 8:34 am
Even comparing the newest generation of the Cayenne S (which would probably be impossible to get within a timely manner) vs. the X5. I would choose the X5.. With Cayenne money I could get a 50i X5 with the m-sport package and still have some pocket change left
tcharged wrote:
kkkat wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:56 pm
Maybe because one is much more expensive and he didn't think it's worth it?

Even on the used market, here in the west they want way too much for the S. 2016s still command a cool $85,000 - 90,000 depending on options... new, $100,000 - 110,000, with minimal options. I got a steeper discount and deal on the X5 5.0. If this were a base X5, then I'd be less tempted. But the 5.0 is more comparable to the Cayenne GTS, not the S. For which Porsche or the used lots want way too much.

I like the Porsche SUV more, just not for the price. If money was non-issue, then definitely I'd get the Porsche... but for GTS money there are other vehicles I'd rather have. Plus I'm going off-roading with it and am going to tow so I do not want to get into 6-figure territory.

Also, loyalty discount (I've also owned 328i M-Sport, 335i Cabriolet Special Edition, M4 Cabriolet)