Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2007
3004 posts
83 upvotes
quick question, looking to get a used 2013 X5 M and dont know much about beemers. What a reputable place to go for an inspection before buying the car?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25081 posts
9974 upvotes
Toronto
kkkat wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 3:18 pm
Is the g20 340 gonna be much different than the current 340? Other than the design of course.
Same engine as current gen (with some power tweaks) . Lots of tech upgrade for sure. Not too many details yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1196 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
I have F10 bmw.
I have recently changed my waterpump from RMP motors, and after the pump was changed, I could notice some "water flowing" type noise from the pipes, like the noise of water moving through the pipes. At first, I thought it might have been air in the new pipes, etc... but even after about 3-4 weeks I hear the same noise when the heat is ON. Only when the heat is ON, I hear it, and that too only when it is on low fan speed. Is that normal?

I recently had a warning for low coolant, and when I checked, there was literally no coolant in the car.... I filled the coolant to the "MAX" mark and now when I checked again, the coolant was below the "MIN" mark.... There are no visible leaks. I filled it to the "MAX" mark again.

I did call RMP, and going to monitor the coolant for the next few days before I take the car back to them.

Can this losing of coolant be the cause of the waterpump?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25081 posts
9974 upvotes
Toronto
I do think you have a coolant leak somewhere. It is likely it got burnt off.

Go back to rmp and get it looked at ASAP
Mar 15, 2004
412 posts
16 upvotes
21908004 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 11:30 am
hi there - looking for some advice again regarding the X1. I went to the dealership for the three day event and was told that there is a $1500 credit on 2018s and they will pay up to 4 months of my lease with the jump start program. I originally was dealing with another sales, but they said he has a family emergency and is out of the country, so I was assigned to someone else. I saw a few deals on leasebusters at $620 so I offered $600 with $2k down. The car basically has:

- m sport line
- essential packaged enhanced
- dakota leather
- metallic paint

The new sales I spoke with yesterday is telling me the ballpark price I am aiming for should be close to $700. I also get the loyalty discount since we just got our other car with them last month, but $700 seems wayyyy too high. It's for 48 months lease and interest rate should be 2.15%. Am I being unreasonable or is this dude just full of ...... ? Any insight appreciated, thank you.
At lease rate of 2.15 for 48 months:
$600 total for Metallic Paint, leather, Premium Enhanced

$628 for M Sport
No downpayment
Minimum due on delivery..under $1800

Until about an hour ago i was consider offering 600 for M sport demo with 3k km...now debating
Sep 10, 2016
198 posts
31 upvotes
Can anyone please help me in understanding what sort of a discount I can expect on a CPO 2014 320i xdrive? I can see non-CPO and non-dealer ones at around 18k while this one is around 23k. TIA
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25081 posts
9974 upvotes
Toronto
for cpo, dealer generally will price these certified series car higher. In general, bmw dealer used cars will always listed much higher than than the indy dealers because people are getting the impression these cars are much more "cleaner" and maintained very well. If you really want one from the bmw dealer, then you can generally aim for around 5-10% discount, pending on how long the said car has been sitting around on the lot. The longer it sits (probably due to crazy high listing price and dealer is just waiting for a sucker to walk in and buy), the better your chance you can negotiate with a price reduction.

https://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/mark ... 997928.pdf
Aug 25, 2013
274 posts
313 upvotes
This may be a long shot, but we need to sell our 2011 F10 535xi fully loaded with only 78k on it and were wondering about the steps required when it comes to selling it privately (what we need to watch out for) or to a dealer. We've gone to a few dealers and they don't want anything more than $14k for the car (same car with 130k and no features goes for 21-22k on trader!). At the same time, selling it privately would be a bit risky as there is a chance you get a bad buyer. We are in Toronto.

We love the car and have been taking care of it since day one with all its services, etc, so 14k is very little considering its condition. In fact, we wouldn't even be selling it if we did not need the money.

Any recommendations on where/how to go about selling the car? Do you recommend any reputable dealers who'd be fair when it comes to buying the car from us?

Thanks.

Edit: added location
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12749 posts
9128 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 6:36 pm
for cpo, dealer generally will price these certified series car higher. In general, bmw dealer used cars will always listed much higher than than the indy dealers because people are getting the impression these cars are much more "cleaner" and maintained very well. If you really want one from the bmw dealer, then you can generally aim for around 5-10% discount, pending on how long the said car has been sitting around on the lot. The longer it sits (probably due to crazy high listing price and dealer is just waiting for a sucker to walk in and buy), the better your chance you can negotiate with a price reduction.

https://www.bmw.ca/content/dam/bmw/mark ... 997928.pdf
He’s not getting anywhere close to 10% off. At most 5%. If it’s a CPO don’t expect much of a discount period as the warranty is crazy expensive now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25081 posts
9974 upvotes
Toronto
Your car should be worth around $18,500 -$19,500 range, not $14,000 as dealer really low balled you on.

To sell privately, you can do autotrader, kijiji, bimmerpost.com (Canada subforum in various 3/5/xseries to gain a wider audiences) and even here in rfd buy and sell forum as your primary source to list. If you list your car at a fair price, then you may end up selling quickly. You will get lots of low ballers for sure in which you can ignore. You can specify on your ad that “only reasonable or best offer will be considered”

For your ad, just take lots of pics (interior/exterior) which shows the conditions of the car, pic of current mileage, pic of vin (so buyer may want to double check the options in the car). Your ad should indicate what options it has as well. Carproof report should be made available upon request
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1479 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
What have people been able to recently get off the list price (or over invoice price) for a lease on a 2018 340i xDrive?
Aug 25, 2013
274 posts
313 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 12:51 pm
Your car should be worth around $18,500 -$19,500 range, not $14,000 as dealer really low balled you on.

To sell privately, you can do autotrader, kijiji, bimmerpost.com (Canada subforum in various 3/5/xseries to gain a wider audiences) and even here in rfd buy and sell forum as your primary source to list. If you list your car at a fair price, then you may end up selling quickly. You will get lots of low ballers for sure in which you can ignore. You can specify on your ad that “only reasonable or best offer will be considered”

For your ad, just take lots of pics (interior/exterior) which shows the conditions of the car, pic of current mileage, pic of vin (so buyer may want to double check the options in the car). Your ad should indicate what options it has as well. Carproof report should be made available upon request
I see, thanks so much for your advice. What are some safe practices when it comes to selling private? What should we look out for? Is it safe? Hear so many scary stories when it comes to buying/selling on Kijiji.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25081 posts
9974 upvotes
Toronto
X tour test drive event @ Ont Place on May 9 /10 /11.

https://www.pfaffbmw.com/bmw-x-tour/

sign up if interested. I believed a BMW Canada voucher will be given out for those who may be interested in doing a lease/finance/cash buy on a X series.

I signed up for May 9. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Mar 15, 2004
412 posts
16 upvotes
@booblehead
Curious to know what is a typical timeline for BMW on new released (X3 in this case) before better incentives (cash rebates or reduced interest rates) are offered? Also, I do not understand 45 months (4%) on the lease vs 48 (7%)...