Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
don't really know ... I guess being a new gen of X3. bmwfs wants people to turn in the car much sooner rather than later so they can do another lease. BMWFS and dealers may also benefit by the early turn ins as well as they can be made available and sold in the used market for better $.

as for the cash credit and interest rate reduction, it's all about demand & supply. If there supply is relatively low by end of model year, bmwfs will not be pushing the leftovers out very aggressively. Similar to the X5, they don't give out huge cash credit and reduced interest rate, given there are always people looking to buy one of them. If you are looking to get into one very soon, then perhaps, check their program comes June to see what they are offering, but then the residual will have adjusted down as well, thus making the monthly payment very similar to now, perhaps.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3740 posts
2377 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
booblehead wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 9:38 am
X tour test drive event @ Ont Place on May 9 /10 /11.

https://www.pfaffbmw.com/bmw-x-tour/

sign up if interested. I believed a BMW Canada voucher will be given out for those who may be interested in doing a lease/finance/cash buy on a X series.

I signed up for May 9. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I highly recommend going. I wasn't able to make it for the Vancouver one, but my friend did and he had a blast. They set up the parking lot with "off-road" equipment and they brought out M cars along with the new M5. My friend was chatting with one of the instructors and apparently he raced with Vettel and Ricciardo in Formula BMW. Joked that they went on to be F1 winners while he got stuck instructing LOL.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4894 posts
1620 upvotes
Winnipeg
booblehead wrote:
Apr 13th, 2018 7:50 pm
I do think you have a coolant leak somewhere. It is likely it got burnt off.

Go back to rmp and get it looked at ASAP
Replaced water pump on a 13 x5 with only 50k.
Water pumps are garbage on them...should be a recall
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
my co-worker's x5 water pump gave up @ around mid 60k. Stranded on the highway and had to get it towed.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
combo of bad design and cheap parts .. just like the timing chain timebomb
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1006 posts
504 upvotes
Markham
Water pump is one of the parts in a BMW that has high failure rate. After 5-6 years is when one start keeping an eye on it. It failed on my 8 years old BMW. My dad's has his replaced after 9 years if I remembered correctly. Japanese car's water pump seems to last forever.
Apr 16, 2018
2 posts
Hi booblehead....couple of questions for you about taking over a lease/buying out a colleagues car.

I have a colleague whose lease is coming due the end of August but he has been transferred and is moving out of the country. We have been discussing different options as far as assuming the lease and/or purchasing the car outright.

1. Am I able to assume the lease in the next couple of months and do you have a sense of what type of fee's I'd be looking at?
2. If I do take over the remainder of the lease, am I able to buyout at the end of the lease and what fee’s would I have to pay? Or,
3. Are we able to just have me purchase the car outright with remaining payments on the lease? Just want to understand what additional fees are involved outside of making the remaining lease payments plus residual value.

I am located in Toronto so would be able to bring a cheque directly to BMW finance in all of the above scenario’s. Not sure if that is an option anymore or if I have to go directly through a dealer?

Much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10478 posts
2751 upvotes
Markham
booblehead wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 9:38 am
X tour test drive event @ Ont Place on May 9 /10 /11.

https://www.pfaffbmw.com/bmw-x-tour/

sign up if interested. I believed a BMW Canada voucher will be given out for those who may be interested in doing a lease/finance/cash buy on a X series.

I signed up for May 9. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Registration closed Face Screaming In Fear
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 14, 2006
914 posts
296 upvotes
Coquitlam
I went to the x-tour drive event in Vancouver this past Sunday from 10 to 1 and it was great! The test drive event was scheduled from 10 to 1 but actually started at 10:30 and ended at 12:30 so it was actually only 2 hours long.

The x–tour event consisted of 4 parts 1) a brief 10 minute sit down discussion and review of x-drive technology 2) hands on driving session with X5 and X6 vehicles over various ramps to demonstrate the all wheel drive ability 3) hands on driving session on slalom course with X2 and X3 vehicles 4) 2 laps around slalom course in M5 driven by a race car driver

The M5 is a beast with 600 horsepower and the traction of all wheel drive. The race car driver drove the M5 in all wheel drive sports mode with all traction control and stability control off! I love the power and and traction of the M5 but in person to me even in dark blue it looks too much like an ordinary 5 series. Unless your pockets are very deep, the depreciation on a $120,000 M5 is a killer and going to be $60,000 to $70,000 after 4 years!

Here is a short video of the M5 being driven through the slalom!

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25095 posts
9979 upvotes
Toronto
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 3:00 pm
..... Unless your pockets are very deep, the depreciation on a $120,000 M5 is a killer and going to be $60,000 to $70,000 after 4 years!
That's likely for retail listing. If you are trading in that sucker at end of 4 yrs time, you can get only around high $40's to low $50,000's. M5 does not have a good track record of having decent resale value. I can vouch for that.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4894 posts
1620 upvotes
Winnipeg
booblehead wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 9:46 am
combo of bad design and cheap parts .. just like the timing chain timebomb
Is the timing chain time bomb covered under warranty?