Automotive

BMW questions and answers

Mar 16, 2010
69 posts
12 upvotes
booblehead wrote: are you leasing or are you balloon financing/purchase the vehicle ? two different things

If you are leasing and then buy it out .. just add up your grand total cash payments made + down + due on delivery + (residual buyout amount+ taxes) + buyout fees & inspection

vs

balloon payment financing .. add up grand total cash payments made + down + due on delivery + fees for title transfer (if applicable) + final balloon payment

compare the two different scenarios and see
Yeah what's puzzling is that the balloon payment financing option, despite at a 1% lower interest rate, ends up in a higher total cost than the lease -> buyout option. I don't know what I'm missing here.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
For lease, the down of $30k needs to add taxes onto it. The buyout needs to add taxes too

For financing, amount to finance would have included all the taxes already and ballooned payment is due on face value (no taxes to add)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Marubozu wrote: As a general rule, only buy BMW's with i6 motors, which have been their strong suit since forever. Meaning no 4 cyl turbo and no v8s.
My 97 inline 6 is still going strong (and untouched) at 355,000KM+. For a while regretted not going for the 4.0L V8 but probably a smart move.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
100Pacer wrote: My 97 inline 6 is still going strong (and untouched) at 355,000KM+. For a while regretted not going for the 4.0L V8 but probably a smart move.
Is it NA? Mine is turbo but at least gives me some hope for lasting that long.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
Koppoman wrote: Thanks! I totally meant autoshops. BUT i appreciate the recommendation!
You can get the parts from Rockauto and then have a shop install it. Prices for the pads are way better from Rockauto compared to auto parts stores in Canada. For the rotors it's kind of a wash because they charge you alot more in shipping due to the weight.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
tranquility922 wrote: Is it NA? Mine is turbo but at least gives me some hope for lasting that long.
Naturally aspirated. Other than oil changes every 5,000KM and never just turning it over and driving away I don’t do anything else different.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2933 upvotes
Markham
Koppoman wrote: Thanks! I totally meant autoshops. BUT i appreciate the recommendation!
Brake and rotor changes are pretty standard for the BMWs, no special skills required so any shop will do.
Get a new sensor too even tho some says they can reuse the old one. My experience is its not worth it to save that $30 as sometimes reusing old sensors result in computer unable to reset/calibrate for the new pads etc
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
savemoresaveoften wrote: Brake and rotor changes are pretty standard for the BMWs, no special skills required so any shop will do.
Get a new sensor too even tho some says they can reuse the old one. My experience is its not worth it to save that $30 as sometimes reusing old sensors result in computer unable to reset/calibrate for the new pads etc
Or just short out the old sensor and be done with it.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Never heard of a shop needing to do a test drive after an oil change and new sparkplugs, any comments pls?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
I can see a test drive is done after spark plugs and brakes changed to ensure the car is functioning correctly . For oil change, I don’t see it as necessary.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
booblehead wrote: I can see a test drive is done after spark plugs and brakes changed to ensure the car is functioning correctly . For oil change, I don’t see it as necessary.
How long is reasonable in kms?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2933 upvotes
Markham
Yeah think 5km is plenty for spark plugs. Maybe longer if need an in car diagnosis for weird noise etc.
Oil change, no test drive needed. If they do, they r doing a joy ride lol
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote: Yeah think 5km is plenty for spark plugs. Maybe longer if need an in car diagnosis for weird noise etc.
Oil change, no test drive needed. If they do, they r doing a joy ride lol
Or a Tim’s run on your dime.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6124 upvotes
Barrie, ON
TonyKleiber wrote: I will be away for three months at a time and my bmw will be stored indoors. How often should the car be started to keep the battery up?
Trickle charger like a Battery Tender would be a good idea.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2021 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
I've seen that AliExpress and some other shops online (https://www.joyeauto.com/product/bmw-nb ... interface/) offering solutions to retrofit CarPlay to older BMWs.
Has anyone retrofitted CarPlay to 2015 BMW X5 (F15)?
Do you know of any car audio shops in GTA offering this service?
Thanks in advance!
Mar 16, 2017
17 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
Quick question - if I buy a used BMW from a non-BMW dealer that is still under 4 years old (confirmed in service date / sale was less than 4 years ago) do I, as the second owner, get the benefit of no charge scheduled maintenance for 4 years?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3945 posts
2933 upvotes
Markham
Marky6 wrote: Quick question - if I buy a used BMW from a non-BMW dealer that is still under 4 years old (confirmed in service date / sale was less than 4 years ago) do I, as the second owner, get the benefit of no charge scheduled maintenance for 4 years?

Thanks!
And u get 1 complimentary oil change every year regardless of what the service interval computer says (within the 4y full warranty, i.e. 4 years from car registered by original owner). And you should contact BMW so they update owner info (for recall, etc)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)