BMW questions and answers

Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3516 posts
2750 upvotes
Oakville, ON
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 6:39 pm
thats all true and makes the business case.. Except car enthusiast still prefers manual over dual clutch even tho dual clutch shifts faster, more fuel efficient, blah blah.
At the end of the day, the 3s will no longer be seen by car enthusiast as a true sports sedan, but just a luxury sedan that goes fast. Other always said may as well get a Tesla or even a Genesis G70.
The G70 in particular is in fact better than the F30 335 in terms of steering wheel feel and equals in road handling, at a $10k discount....
But that’s the point - either car enthusiasts don’t want them anymore either, or there’s fewer than 3% of the population that are actually enthusiasts. Or maybe a little of each. There just aren’t enough enthusiasts still buying them to make it worthwhile to offer them.

It’s a vicious circle. Enthusiasts aren’t buying them like they used to so they don’t build as many as they used to. Then, because there aren’t as many available to buy, they don’t sell very many. Repeat that cycle a few times and here we are.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4597 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianLurker wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 6:27 pm
There’s another layer at play here too and that’s the fact that manual transmissions in North America have dropped down now to only around 3.5% of the market. Apparently, Audi has dropped manuals entirely for 2019. New car buyers just aren’t interested in them any more.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 131578002/

“Unfortunately,” Koons said in an email, “the customer demand for manuals is quite low.”

Sales of manual transmissions have been falling for decades – but their drop-off has accelerated in recent years.

Stick shifts represented 6.8 percent of U.S. vehicle sales in 2012, according to IHS Markit. But that figure has tumbled to an estimated 3.5 percent in 2018.

Take the Subaru BRZ. The popular sports car was once sold only with a manual transmission, but sales are now 90 percent automatic, Fiske estimated.

IHS projects that the percentage of cars sold with a manual transmission will fall to 2.6 percent in 2023. And Fiske said recent indicators may require IHS to update its forecast.

“We’re seeing it go even lower,” he said.
The reason why it's dropping is that manufactures only offer manuals on absolute base models. How many people by the base model? Want the mid range model, auto only. Want the mid range model with the more powerful engine, auto only. AWD model, auto only. Subaru and some very pricey sports models aside there no one is selling a manual AWD car. Heck, want anything other than white or black....AUTO ONLY. Want AC, AUTO ONLY. Then, even if someone wants a base model but with a manual, 'sorry sir, none in stock..you need to order it...'

All that combined appears to be totally deliberate on the part of car makers to eliminate it. Non-manual cars always sell for a premium as they are in the upper model range that people want so it has to be about money. Furthermore, manual cars have a longer lifespan, you can not kill a manual transmission. Most automatics are dead between 150, and 200,000km requiring a trip to the dealer to....buy a new car. Sure the manual is declining but the decline appears to be forced.

As for the BRZ being bought 90% automatic. Rubbish. Don't take everything you read online as fact. One look on US Autotrader shows 2018/2019...798 BRZ for sale only 117 are automatics the rest are manual. The Toyota 86 shows 1344..only 465 are Auto. So...FAKE NEWS.
Nov 8, 2017
119 posts
35 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 8:45 pm
The reason why it's dropping is that manufactures only offer manuals on absolute base models. How many people by the base model? Want the mid range model, auto only. Want the mid range model with the more powerful engine, auto only. AWD model, auto only. Subaru and some very pricey sports models aside there no one is selling a manual AWD car. Heck, want anything other than white or black....AUTO ONLY. Want AC, AUTO ONLY. Then, even if someone wants a base model but with a manual, 'sorry sir, none in stock..you need to order it...'

All that combined appears to be totally deliberate on the part of car makers to eliminate it. Non-manual cars always sell for a premium as they are in the upper model range that people want so it has to be about money. Furthermore, manual cars have a longer lifespan, you can not kill a manual transmission. Most automatics are dead between 150, and 200,000km requiring a trip to the dealer to....buy a new car. Sure the manual is declining but the decline appears to be forced.

As for the BRZ being bought 90% automatic. Rubbish. Don't take everything you read online as fact. One look on US Autotrader shows 2018/2019...798 BRZ for sale only 117 are automatics the rest are manual. The Toyota 86 shows 1344..only 465 are Auto. So...FAKE NEWS.
This is true, the notion that nobody wants a manual is complete rubbish. From a recent article in Road & Track about the G20 3 series written by (the great) Jason Cammisa:

NO MANUAL

“You’ve probably heard it before, but it’s worth saying again: for the first time ever, the BMW 3-series isn’t available with a manual transmission. The Germans keep telling us that no one wants manuals, even as clutch-pedal-equipped Porsche 911Rs and GT3 Tourings and Cayman GT4s sell for up to hundreds of thousands of dollars over sticker—while their automatic equivalents remain glued to the showroom floor. Indeed something like 25 percent of six-cylinder 3-series buyers in the US opted for manual transmissions on the last-gen car. So rather than give them a new car to buy, BMW just wants them to check out the Genesis G70. Because we now live in a world where Hyundai sells a manual-transmission, rear-wheel-drive sedan and BMW doesn’t.“

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.roadand ... s-details/
Jan 21, 2019
96 posts
35 upvotes
People who love the 3 series. 2018's are priced aggressively . Go get your 2018's while you can. There is limited amounts left around every dealer. The February program is very aggressive . The Dealer I work for we only have a handful left. Don't wait around for better deals. The time is now. Go to your respected dealer and get that deal now. BMW Canada has upped the discounts for the 340i's . The pricing on these are much better than the 330i's.

Looking at the prices for the 2019 3 Series. It does not look pretty but it is what it is.
Dilawri VIP/Preferred
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24978 posts
9824 upvotes
Toronto
Are we looking at 15% min discount for the leftovers 340xdrive ?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3757 posts
2378 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 5:08 pm
Our local dealer advertised outside dealership as $9000 off. Probably cash and top trim model.

EDIT: Image
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12636 posts
8931 upvotes
Richmond Hill
theoneman101 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 10:31 pm
This is true, the notion that nobody wants a manual is complete rubbish. From a recent article in Road & Track about the G20 3 series written by (the great) Jason Cammisa:

NO MANUAL

“You’ve probably heard it before, but it’s worth saying again: for the first time ever, the BMW 3-series isn’t available with a manual transmission. The Germans keep telling us that no one wants manuals, even as clutch-pedal-equipped Porsche 911Rs and GT3 Tourings and Cayman GT4s sell for up to hundreds of thousands of dollars over sticker—while their automatic equivalents remain glued to the showroom floor. Indeed something like 25 percent of six-cylinder 3-series buyers in the US opted for manual transmissions on the last-gen car. So rather than give them a new car to buy, BMW just wants them to check out the Genesis G70. Because we now live in a world where Hyundai sells a manual-transmission, rear-wheel-drive sedan and BMW doesn’t.“

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.roadand ... s-details/
At my office there’s a handful of 991 owners and M2/3. 4 out of the 5 911’s are auto and manual was offered on those models and both the M cars are auto.

Anecdotal or not that just shows why manufacturers are focusing on autos as they sell way more and if they only offered manual it will kill off sales.
Last edited by Redmask on Feb 2nd, 2019 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Report: inappropriate content
Sep 10, 2016
198 posts
31 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 5:08 pm
I will still wait till auto show when the G20 is launched in Toronto at-least ;) Pfaff has close to 40 - 340 s in stock today. Not sure what magic they are looking forward to once G is launched
Nov 8, 2017
119 posts
35 upvotes
Any lease rates for the 2019 3 series from Canadian dealers?

If anyone is curious, here is the US lease program for the G20:

February 2019 Lease Program (United States):

330i (2019MY)
15k miles / 57% residual
12k miles / 59% residual
10k miles / 60% residual

$1,000 APR credit
$2,000 loyalty credit
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51098 posts
15767 upvotes
For long-term car ownership, no point going manual if the engine components made of plastic are going to break down right after the fourth year.

I would only value manual transmission if the car is a keeper.
Jan 19, 2007
900 posts
401 upvotes
Torontario
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 10:06 am
For long-term car ownership, no point going manual if the engine components made of plastic are going to break down right after the fourth year.
Not to disappoint - some of the friction plates in the ZF transmissions are made of paper :)
May 3, 2008
960 posts
475 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 10:06 am
Thats like saying I settle for a color I dont like but it saves me $500...
Whether one enjoys the fun of a manual transmission or not, dont think any enthusiast value it cuz longevity.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
51098 posts
15767 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2019 7:33 am
Thats like saying I settle for a color I dont like but it saves me $500...
Whether one enjoys the fun of a manual transmission or not, dont think any enthusiast value it cuz longevity.
Of course some enthusiasts do. Not everyone has a seven digit bank account.

It's a wide spectrum of car enthusiasts and owners there will be some overlap.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2857 posts
240 upvotes
GTA
I'm experiencing an odd issue with our X3. The warning light for low washer fluid came on a few days ago and the rear wiper stopped working. I topped up the tank with my usual Rain-X washer fluid (two jugs worth) and the warning light did not go away and the rear wiper is still not working. Did a quick search online and it appears as though some BMW's are equipped with a special sensor in the tank that will only take a reading if the fluid used is blue in colour. The vehicle will also disable the rear washer if it senses the fluid level is low.

Anyone know if this is true? I'm going to try and exhaust what's in the tank in the next week and then topping up with some blue fluid but I think that's crazy.
May 3, 2008
960 posts
475 upvotes
Markham
The_Professor wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 9:09 am
I'm experiencing an odd issue with our X3. The warning light for low washer fluid came on a few days ago and the rear wiper stopped working. I topped up the tank with my usual Rain-X washer fluid (two jugs worth) and the warning light did not go away and the rear wiper is still not working. Did a quick search online and it appears as though some BMW's are equipped with a special sensor in the tank that will only take a reading if the fluid used is blue in colour. The vehicle will also disable the rear washer if it senses the fluid level is low.

Anyone know if this is true? I'm going to try and exhaust what's in the tank in the next week and then topping up with some blue fluid but I think that's crazy.
I dont believe sensors are color sensitive and that makes no sense it only wants blue....Yes sensors may disable the rear washer to preserve when level is low. Maybe the sensor needs to be replaced.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

coolkecool