Boarding a plane with bluetooth shoes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2023 11:01 am
Oct 27, 2014
36 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Boarding a plane with bluetooth shoes?

This is going to sound weird but I recently bought the Under Armour HOVR Sonic 2 shoes which I found out has bluetooth functionality to keep track of running stats. I'm flying in a couple of days and so I am wondering if I'm allowed to bring these pair of shoes on the plane or not?Anyone know? These are the shoes:

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/men ... olor%5D=01

I don't quite know how the bluetooth works on that shoes (i.e. enabling and disabling it), probably contact sportschek and underarmour as well to double check.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
ComplexSoul wrote: This is going to sound weird but I recently bought the Under Armour HOVR Sonic 2 shoes which I found out has bluetooth functionality to keep track of running stats. I'm flying in a couple of days and so I am wondering if I'm allowed to bring these pair of shoes on the plane or not?Anyone know? These are the shoes:

I don't quite know how the bluetooth works on that shoes (i.e. enabling and disabling it), probably contact sportschek and underarmour as well to double check.

I have never heard of these shoes but I wouldn't take any chances at the airport. Until this becomes more common just wear at home.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10129 posts
10237 upvotes
They don't ask you to turn off electronics or go into airplane anymore for flights
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
Not sure if allowed, but they would never know so I say is fine.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
Wireless signals were established to have little effect years ago - hence why you're allowed to use wifi from the time you're sitting at the gate, through takeoff, flight, landing, etc., in many plane entertainment systems.

Unless you have a bluetooth signal emblazoned across the entire side of them, they flash blue (or blue and red for pairing), then as @dolfan1980 mentioned, no one would no.

The only real concern they have these days is with lithium batteries in checked luggage (I've had camera batteries I forgot in a checked bag thrown out with a note), or carry-on bags with power built-in. I see many people using bluetooth headsets on flights.
- Absolute
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20806 posts
6622 upvotes
London
ComplexSoul wrote: This is going to sound weird but I recently bought the Under Armour HOVR Sonic 2 shoes which I found out has bluetooth functionality to keep track of running stats. I'm flying in a couple of days and so I am wondering if I'm allowed to bring these pair of shoes on the plane or not?Anyone know? These are the shoes:

Don't forget to remove shoes at the security checkpoint and and put them thru the xray
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18181 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
why chance it? wear different shoes.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TIL Bluetooth shoes are a thing
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
164 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: TIL Bluetooth shoes are a thing
I must be old, heck I would have never thought that shoes would have electronics in them.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if you would have any troubles when they do an x-ray of your shoes. They'll see electronics and be like Face Screaming In FearFace Screaming In Fear.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
3221 posts
2761 upvotes
Montreal
StatsGuy wrote: They don't ask you to turn off electronics or go into airplane anymore for flights
Air Transat, Air Canada, PAL Airlines (most of them) does.

Edit : Added in bold comment from StatsGuy
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10129 posts
10237 upvotes
elpaso wrote: Air Transat, Air Canada, PAL Airlines (most of them) does.

Edit : Added in bold comment from StatsGuy
AC didn't last time I took them earlier this year and neither did WestJet on weekend
Oct 27, 2014
36 posts
6 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Thanks for all the response! To be honest, I was surprised that the shoes had bluetooth functionality as well, didn't find out till I opened the box. I ended up contacting CATSA and they said it's perfectly fine to bring them on board, I just got to place them in the bin when going through screening.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: AC didn't last time I took them earlier this year and neither did WestJet on weekend
I can assure you, you still have to turn airplane mode ON and they say so in their safety briefing and safety video ;) and the information is current as of yesterday night !
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
lensbuyer wrote: I must be old, heck I would have never thought that shoes would have electronics in them.
It's a hardly a new concept. The Nike+ sensor has been around since 2006. LA Lights have been around since 1992.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Technically the old dash 8 planes air Canada uses on routes like calgary to Edmonton are not certified for Bluetooth. They announce this and I’ve seen / been asked to remove Bluetooth head phones.

Bluetooth can be used on every other aircraft air Canada flies. You just can’t have any head phones in during the safety video unless it’s connected to the airplanes system

I doubt anyone would notice your shoes
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10129 posts
10237 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: I can assure you, you still have to turn airplane mode ON and they say so in their safety briefing and safety video ;) and the information is current as of yesterday night !
They didn't say it on Saturday that's for sure!

I mean they had the wifi on even before we pushed back from the gate and I connected and used it from moment I sat down until after taxing to the gate!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1015 posts
1056 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: They didn't say it on Saturday that's for sure!

I mean they had the wifi on even before we pushed back from the gate and I connected and used it from moment I sat down until after taxing to the gate!
You didn’t catch it. AC requires passengers to put their device on airplane mode on all their flight. WIFI is another thing. If you want to access on board WIFI you have to turn on airplane mode then switch on WIFI. It’s the procedure. And I’m 110% sure about it. Heck you can even find the info directly on AC website if you dont believe me.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10129 posts
10237 upvotes
Latitude57 wrote: You didn’t catch it. AC requires passengers to put their device on airplane mode on all their flight. WIFI is another thing. If you want to access on board WIFI you have to turn on airplane mode then switch on WIFI. It’s the procedure. And I’m 110% sure about it. Heck you can even find the info directly on AC website if you dont believe me.
I was on WestJet on Saturday. Zero mention of airplane mode or turn off cellular function let alone Bluetooth during safety demo

Last time on AC was around April? I was in J and wifi was enabled entire time and no mention of BT, I had BT headphones on and using it and FA even commented they looked nice and what were they lol
Last edited by StatsGuy on Oct 8th, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)