Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Boatnbob.com

Canadian Boating License - $25

May 22, 2009
59 posts
18 upvotes
Capital City
duttydeals wrote: Agreed. 100% cash grab. I lost my original license that i had obtained waaaay back in the day. I contacted Transport Canada, they simply told me to contact the company which had provided it to me. The company went tits-up, so I was stuck. Ended up purchasing another license again. I'm under the impression that the government doesn't even keep a database for this stuff.
If this company is charging $25, whatever cut the Gov gets isn't gonna make it worth it to them. They want some assurance that boaters are boating safely and know the basics. Government might keep a database, but might not have a way to get you a card or notice or w/e saying that you've passed the test.

According to their website, transport canada marine safety spent $61m and made $8m in revenue, and I bet this boating safety thing is peanutes. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/corporate-serv ... regulatory
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
499 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Got a license! Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
Good deal to satisfy and incredibly ineffective government policy.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7632 upvotes
ON
tilfhunter wrote: I must be missing something here...I signed up for an account and it started me on the course right away which ok is fine but I can't find out where I am or was supposed to pay.
It will ask you to pay before or after the last voyage but definitely before you're redirected at the test site. Just keep going until it does.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2933 posts
1523 upvotes
North York
4 days left for this promo so just giving a bump so nobody in need misses out.

happy weekend!
Nov 19, 2011
204 posts
81 upvotes
London
Thanks for the heads up here, everyone in our family has one now.
Aug 7, 2016
238 posts
177 upvotes
If anyone misses this promo,
(Or, prefers not to put up with the timers.)

Freecourse.ca is $25 but you need to go to a testing center to write the exam.
Nov 25, 2010
78 posts
45 upvotes
I got my license here few weeks ago. Somebody posted this already but not in Hot Deals forum. Got my intex 4 person with the help of RFD, bought minn kota motor and battery box. Currently modifying to add floors on the boat. RfD made me higher level fisherman. Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
If you search online there are ways to bypass the timer...
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
I got mine through this site. I did not bypass the timer. I actually like it since it "should" force you to actually read and learn something. Took me a few days to read and do all the tests.

You pay before doing the real exam. If you lose your license it cost the same to get a replacement so just relearn it for refreshing.
Jul 14, 2012
83 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto Ontario Cana…
In Canada it's a "licence".

#justsayin'
Jul 20, 2016
198 posts
55 upvotes
A silly question , for passing this license do we have to know how to swim, because i cant swim. :( but i love boating.
Mar 6, 2017
298 posts
231 upvotes
SumitS972792 wrote: A silly question , for passing this license do we have to know how to swim, because i cant swim. :( but i love boating.
No, life jacket is required, but not swimming.
Even if it's required, you only have to answer some questions online. So, you can just check yes, even if you can't swim just to pass the test. (Not that it's required)
Jul 20, 2016
198 posts
55 upvotes
walukupix wrote: No, life jacket is required, but not swimming.
Even if it's required, you only have to answer some questions online. So, you can just check yes, even if you can't swim just to pass the test. (Not that it's required)
Thanx dear
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3908 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP!

So if someone were to sit down and dedicate themselves to plowing through this course and exam in one sitting, how long would it take to get through it all? I'm presuming I could just load it on my phone and just take it with me to keep going through as required (it's similar to the Scout training we have to do).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this the license required to use any motor powered boat? If I register now and take the exam some time later (past the promotion period), do I still pay only 25$?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
martinwales28 wrote: If you search online there are ways to bypass the timer...
Where at? Now I'm curious
Love saving money......
Nov 25, 2010
78 posts
45 upvotes
There are I think 4 sections. Before you can proceed to the last one you have to pay. And then when you​ pass the last one you get connected to Canada Transport to take the actual exam. Take note that there quizzes on end of each section that you have to pass too in order the proceed to the next session. All through out I think its all about common sense and the quizzes are open book. You can go back to the topic to find the answer. The part I have trouble with are the maritime signs, like Street signs, you have to know and memorize them.
I think if you do it in one sitting it will take at least 2-3 hours + 50 minutes max on the Canada Transport exam depending on how fast you answer the questions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Is this license permanent ? Doesn't require renewal or retests?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1977 posts
1206 upvotes
Narkham
Hows the knowledge level required? Do I have to study or will there be a course that takes me through it. Also length to complete course + test?
RFD: Rarely Finding Discounts on things I actually need

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)