• Feb 11th, 2016 2:17 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 5, 2009
96 posts
Markham

bodyshop after car accident

So I have a no fault accident.
The insurance company said they will issue me a cheque for me to fix the car.
It includes: 2 brand new OEM door.
The thing is I chose a autoshop that does not partner with my insurance company. I went to this one many years.

But I am bit concerned about the safety. How do I know if the autoshop will buy the new one to replace my door.
He said he will buy the new one. How do I know if it is OEM?
I asked him to give me the order bill when the door arrives, he told me he will send everything to the insurance company.
My insurance company told me this is between me and the bodyshop, it has nothing to do with the inruance comany.

Few years ago, I had an accident, the estimate says they should do something to the steering to see the angle if it is right and correct it. I asked him for the report, he said he had sent to the insurance company. I called the insruance comapny and they said they never received it. I went back to my bodyshop and said I would like to have a report so if I sell the car I can show them. He said if the future buyer asks for the report then just tell them to buy the new car...

So how can I verify the parts they use?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
first question is how come you opt to take cash from insurance and then search for your own shop. If you do this just to save a few bucks (pocket the left), then you probably will get no repair warranty from the shop and for sure, none from the insurance (as you have suggested).
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sounds like a dodgy body shop youre using so idk why op is choosing to use them again when you're already suspicious of this same shop.

anyways, booblehead is right. its sound much better to go with your insurance comps preferred shop and have warranty for the work done instead of this other shop which seems to be a bit sketchy from your previous incident
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
If you've chosen to go with this bodyshop since you've gone to them for many years, why are you questioning them? I assume you chose them only because of your relationship with them or that they're trustworthy. If they aren't trustworthy, you would have been better off letting the insurance company pick one for you - at least you would have warranty.
Apr 18, 2011
476 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
I like Carstar. I do not know where you are located and if there is one close to you.
Aug 5, 2009
96 posts
Markham
i trusted them until last accident took place. I went to him and i asked him for the report. He told me he sent to the insurance company. I called my insurance company and they said they never received. So this time i need to be more careful.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
if you chose your own shop to have the repairs done and took a check from the ins company, you will have to deal with the shop on your own and the insurance company will not guarantee any work that will be done.
If you choose to deal with a preferred shop, the ins company will pay the shop directly and guarantee any work if you are unsatisfied.
bombers408 wrote: So I have a no fault accident.
The insurance company said they will issue me a cheque for me to fix the car.
It includes: 2 brand new OEM door.
The thing is I chose a autoshop that does not partner with my insurance company. I went to this one many years.

But I am bit concerned about the safety. How do I know if the autoshop will buy the new one to replace my door.
He said he will buy the new one. How do I know if it is OEM?
I asked him to give me the order bill when the door arrives, he told me he will send everything to the insurance company.
My insurance company told me this is between me and the bodyshop, it has nothing to do with the inruance comany.

Few years ago, I had an accident, the estimate says they should do something to the steering to see the angle if it is right and correct it. I asked him for the report, he said he had sent to the insurance company. I called the insruance comapny and they said they never received it. I went back to my bodyshop and said I would like to have a report so if I sell the car I can show them. He said if the future buyer asks for the report then just tell them to buy the new car...

So how can I verify the parts they use?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Mar 15, 2004
976 posts
311 upvotes
Your own body shop obviously lost your trust from the last interaction. Why are you still going back?

As it goes:

Conned the first time, it is the company's fault
Get conned by the same company the second time, it is your own fault
Get conned by the same company the third time, you are just asking for it.
Jun 5, 2011
860 posts
175 upvotes
LONDON
i always pick a shop the insurance company recommends - they usually have a few if you don't like the first one they recommend. The last one i was referred to was a Ford dealership body shop (for a Chrysler sebring). This way the repair is usually gauranteed as long as i own the vehicle and i have the insurance company to stand behind if the body shop gives me grief.

Also, if you take the payout it's usually based on the quote the "preferred shop" gives you less a percentage. So you end up wasting time taking it two shops to save maybe $100-$200 bucks for the average repair. Probably had to take time off work each time and then sort your own rental if you took the cash, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Another plus to go with ins preferred shop is they are more likely to not want to lose the status of a preferred shop and do a good job vs your other shop that they knew there is nothing you can do if you as an individual is not happy with the work.

Like others have said, there is no way for you to know for sure and if you don't trust them already, why go back ?? I am sure there will be other shops that could do the work and you will be happy with plus more dependable.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
Even if you choose your own shop, insurance company can dealwith them in terms of appraisal and payment. You don't get lifetime warranty thiugh.

I went with Mercedes body shop but got their warranty plus I trust their work.

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did you already get the cheque? Why not just stick with a bodyshop that is certified by the insurance company if you don't even trust the shop that you chose yourself?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)