Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

Bodywash for dudes

So I was Shoppers today, and I couldn't help wondering how there's no decent body wash for men. There really isn't. The women have aisles after aisles of bath products, but the men have to make due with **** from Gillette and Old Spice.

I just finished using an organic body wash from Avalon Organics and I thought it was rather blah. I tried the more high-end brands like Biotherm and Clarins and I couldn't really notice any difference in how my skin felt. Aside from the impact on my wallet, these two products were blah.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
31 replies
Dec 2, 2005
684 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Dealz-4-U wrote: who says u cant use women's body wash? :lol:
I just end up smelling like a girl and then I'm trying to grab my boobs all day. The whole thing is just a mess, you'd do best to avoid it.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Anything marketed towards men smell the same. Not that great either.
[Removed by the RFD Moderation Team]
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
I guess you are one of the millions who has not seen an Axe commercial.

And there's already a thread about this, as usual.

My vote goes to Axe's Snake Peel. I prefer a scrub. Everything else seems to just cover you with lotion and not really clean.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
yeah, and there's that new commercial for nivea bodywash. the one where it say at the end

"finally a bodywash for men"
Nov 4, 2006
462 posts
1 upvote
I like Irish Springs. They've got a body wash too, though I still prefer the soap.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
originalnutta wrote: I guess you are one of the millions who has not seen an Axe commercial.

And there's already a thread about this, as usual.

My vote goes to Axe's Snake Peel. I prefer a scrub. Everything else seems to just cover you with lotion and not really clean.
Seen Axe, tried it, didn't like it because it gave me a rash. Beyond the strong parfum it does nothing for the skin. It contains aluminum lauryl sulfate, which can be quite irritating from what I read.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
sockhead wrote: I like Irish Springs. They've got a body wash too, though I still prefer the soap.
Tried soap including the all natural organic ones. Smells nice but leaves a film on the skin afterward.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
axe makes the worst products ever, they try to cover it by selling sex
check mens health i remember reading an article about really good products. i'll try to find it, it was either this months issue or last months.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
27 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote: axe makes the worst products ever, they try to cover it by selling sex...
I don't like the advertising either, but I don't know why you'd trash the products just based on that. I happen to agree with their high opinion of their own fragranced products, I think they smell great. Unfortunately the Antiperspirant isn't tough enough for my needs, but I'm somewhat of a difficult case.

Is Axxe body was a serious bathing product. Heck no, but then MOST body washe's aren't. They are perfumey, lathery convenience products who's best trait is portability. Only the old Lever one rinsed clean enough for my liking (don't know if it's even sold anymore...)

I don't buy a body washes for two reasons: I hardly ever shower on the go away from my bathroom, and if I do I plan ahead and bring my soaps in a tupperwear container.

I'm more into heavy duty cleaning. I first pre-wash my back, feet and all the nasty crevaces with Carbolic Soap (SoapWorks), do the privates with Tea Tree Oil soap (Thursday's Plantation preferred) rinse and then a quick all-over with Ivory and rinse again.

The above procedure already takes too long, so while it would be nice to finish with a nice smelling body wash once in a while, it's not something I would make the time for more than once a week tops - I don't feel like spending money on something I'd use so little.

Under different circumstances, I might like to have one of the Ombra aromatic bodywashes to treat myself ocassionally - particularly the Eucalyptus or the Orange/Lemongrass ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3080 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Ten Count wrote: I don't like the advertising either, but I don't know why you'd trash the products just based on that. I happen to agree with their high opinion of their own fragranced products, I think they smell great. Unfortunately the Antiperspirant isn't tough enough for my needs, but I'm somewhat of a difficult case.

Is Axxe body was a serious bathing product. Heck no, but then MOST body washe's aren't. They are perfumey, lathery convenience products who's best trait is portability. Only the old Lever one rinsed clean enough for my liking (don't know if it's even sold anymore...)

I don't buy a body washes for two reasons: I hardly ever shower on the go away from my bathroom, and if I do I plan ahead and bring my soaps in a tupperwear container.

I'm more into heavy duty cleaning. I first pre-wash my back, feet and all the nasty crevaces with Carbolic Soap (SoapWorks), do the privates with Tea Tree Oil soap (Thursday's Plantation preferred) rinse and then a quick all-over with Ivory and rinse again.

The above procedure already takes too long, so while it would be nice to finish with a nice smelling body wash once in a while, it's not something I would make the time for more than once a week tops - I don't feel like spending money on something I'd use so little.

Under different circumstances, I might like to have one of the Ombra aromatic bodywashes to treat myself ocassionally - particularly the Eucalyptus or the Orange/Lemongrass ones.
Wow.
[Removed by the RFD Moderation Team]
Jan 15, 2004
53 posts
3 upvotes
Ten Count wrote:
that's a whole lotta washing....
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2006
2077 posts
465 upvotes
North York
man up!! any soap and water mixture that makes foam is a good wash!

I currently am using Irish Spring Body Wash and Zest 1+1 body and shampoo wash

Getting bored of Irish Spring...

Zest is so bubbly you'd want to wash a 2nd time!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
[quote="Ten Count" post_id="8568338" time="1239357734" user_id="140422"]I don't like the advertising either, but I don't know why you'd trash the products just based on that. I happen to agree with their high opinion of their own fragranced products, I think they smell great. Unfortunately the Antiperspirant isn't tough enough for my needs, but I'm somewhat of a difficult case. [\QUOTE]

I don't like their products because they smell like heavy duty chemicals with a hint of whatever "fragrance" they claim it is. Whenever someone sprays it at the gym or near me it feels like my nose is on fire, and that can't be good. I bought the kilo when axe first came out, it was crap so I never used it and never axe since. I know a manager at shoppers who says they get samples to test at the store and he says the gel dries out your hair and the shampoo makes it have a weird texture.

Now, I know that it's not the case for everyone but there are waaaayy better products out there with less chemicals. Why risk your hair or skin for a few dollars
Jun 22, 2008
73 posts
8 upvotes
The CE Bigelow Tea Tree stuff from Bath and Body Works is really good and smells really refreshing!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
mercy wrote: that's a whole lotta washing....
Agreed. I use just one type of body wash or soap and never saw the need to use such a variety.
Neutrogena Men Invigorating Hair and Body Wash
http://www.neutrogena.com/econsumer/...-body-wash.jsp

Nivea for Men Shower Gel
http://www.niveaformen.com/products....nd_body_care/0
I'll try Nivea. I used Neutrogena for Men products a few years ago, particularly their face cleanser, and it didn't do anything for the face. It still felt oily after use. I hope their body wash won't be an equal disappointment.
The CE Bigelow Tea Tree stuff from Bath and Body Works
I will check that out this weekend, will report :D
Dial for Men Body Wash
I sampled it, didn't like the smell. I know, I'm picky.
Jan 22, 2008
474 posts
27 upvotes
thepersianguy wrote: Whenever someone sprays it at the gym or near me it feels like my nose is on fire, and that can't be good.
Yeah well, aerosol body sprays...whole different story.
I bought the kilo when axe first came out, it was crap so I never used it and never axe since.
You may well be correct. To me it seems OK smelling in the bottle at the store - but I don't buy body washes so I don't know, it could be a different story once it lathers up.
I know a manager at shoppers who says they get samples to test at the store and he says the gel dries out your hair and the shampoo makes it have a weird texture.
There's another thing with the all-in-one washes. It's just wrong.

Anything that's soap enough for your body is going to be murder on the hair & scalp. Anything that's a decent shampoo is only good as an emergncy last resort as a body soap.