• Jul 12th, 2019 2:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4503 posts
897 upvotes
Abbottabad

Bombardier lays off 500 in Thunder Bay

Looks like the crash and burn of another Canadian company through incompetence and mismanagement.

Here we go again folks!
17 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11483 posts
460 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote: Why?
Could be because their big TTC and GO contracts for delivery of a fixed number of vehicles are about to wrap up. This shouldn’t be a surprise as the contracts were known to be wrapped up in 2019.

Really strange that the Ontario government is calling on Bombardier to reconsider when the two ending contracts are owned by Ontario provincial and municipal governments.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8150 upvotes
Ottawa
cheapmeister wrote: Why?
Why what?
A contract is fulfilled and they do not have enough orders to keep the plant open.
Or, the governments are not giving them money to stay open because it is not in Quebec.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3385 posts
544 upvotes
we can not say anything here as this is political topic. Move it to other forum and ca talk about Ford.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32382 posts
3189 upvotes
Winnipeg
This has nothing to do with Ford, it is just a business decision. Don't drag the tax payer into it.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4098 posts
2538 upvotes
Burnaby
divx wrote: This has nothing to do with Ford, it is just a business decision. Don't drag the tax payer into it.
Bombardier transportation has far too many factories. Such level of redundancy (manufacturing equipment, manpower and "apparent" but not real product diversity) can only hurt business.

The trains plant at Thunder Bay currently has little demand. It's just natural it needed downsizing.

There's no need nor justification for bail outs. Bombardier is currently cashing in enough money from selling its specialty and commercial aircraft businesses: firefighter airplanes line to Viking, Q400 to Viking, CRJ to Mitsubishi, CS to Airbus/Quebec government, and probably Belfast aerostructures plant to a Spanish group -- I guess the aerostructures plant in Morocco is out for sale as well.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31189 posts
16953 upvotes
Ottawa
"Company mismanagement is the real reason Bombardier is slashing its workforce in Thunder Bay"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesta ... r-bay.html
The good news is that Bombardier’s recent efforts to turn its railcar division around seem to be working.

Since the beginning of this year alone, the company has won contracts to build train cars in Hamburg, metro cars for Delhi, tramcars in Brussels and train sets in Adelaide, Australia.

Bombardier has just won preferred-bidder status for a $4.5-billion monorail in Cairo. And Bombardier Transportation will perform the first overhaul of train cars in the Eurotunnel’s 25-year history — cars also originally built by Bombardier.

By now, there is enough substance to the company’s turnaround to believe that Bombardier’s Thunder Bay plant has a promising future. Thunder Bay is, after all, one of the oldest and best railcar makers in the world.
With its central location in North America, Thunder Bay continues to be an ideal location for serving the North American boom in transportation infrastructure.

The short-term pain of layoffs, which may turn out to be temporary, is a legacy of a long stretch of Bombardier Transportation mismanagement. That malaise is giving way to sound managerial practices, and that gives hope that Thunder Bay might someday have a bigger workforce than ever.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3385 posts
544 upvotes
looks like they need 10 times the orders than they have to save jobs. That's like billion dollars o save 1000 jobs. too much money.
Last edited by callernamet on Jul 10th, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6022 posts
951 upvotes
Scarborough
And now there are better products for less price even from european companies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1935 posts
689 upvotes
Buy American policy didn't help neither so no business from US.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1930 posts
1376 upvotes
Bombardier employs around 70 000 globally. 500 jobs will not make or brake BBD.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32382 posts
3189 upvotes
Winnipeg
xpressmerchant wrote: Buy American policy didn't help neither so no business from US.
BBD have plants in the states, they can just make it there instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1697 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Why what?
A contract is fulfilled and they do not have enough orders to keep the plant open.
Or, the governments are not giving them money to stay open because it is not in Quebec.
I just love the way people defend corporations here meanwhile they are clueless. If Bombardier cannot keep people because they don't have contracts then why are we taxpayers pumping billions of dollars into them for bailouts? That money was handed to them so they don't lay off workers when they get slow. We should have let this company just die off.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34330 posts
8150 upvotes
Ottawa
MusicBox wrote: I just love the way people defend corporations here meanwhile they are clueless. If Bombardier cannot keep people because they don't have contracts then why are we taxpayers pumping billions of dollars into them for bailouts? That money was handed to them so they don't lay off workers when they get slow. We should have let this company just die off.
That is what I said?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.