Shopping Discussion

Bombay Company Going Out Of Business ice cold!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 9:35 am
[OP]
Nov 7, 2011
366 posts
216 upvotes

Bombay Company Going Out Of Business ice cold!!

Finally the Bombay company is biting the dust. They have sold overpriced poorly made products for years. Thanks to Alibaba people have cut out the middle man while purchasing poorly made knickknacks. Either way the crappy sale of 20-40 percent off is on. Meaning the slightly less crappy sale of 30-40 will start in a few weeks. I have never purchased an item from Bombay that hasn't broken.
34 replies
Jul 20, 2016
778 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Hm you might want to add some link and better description. I thought it was the Gin brand
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1293 posts
257 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
That place was ridiculously expensive.
Aug 27, 2009
693 posts
129 upvotes
Wow such a hot deal! Thanks man! this really hurt my wallet though
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14939 posts
4279 upvotes
Wow, you hate them so much you had to post and whine about your own deal.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Nov 6th, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Dec 12, 2016
57 posts
48 upvotes
Moogadishoo
Soon to come back as the Mumbai Company... Winking Face
Aug 8, 2015
882 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
neonic wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:52 pm
Hm you might want to add some link and better description. I thought it was the Gin brand
Same lol

Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1493 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
bengoldenberg wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:50 pm
I have never purchased an item from Bombay that hasn't broken.
I'm curious.

What have you purchased from them? Did you buy decorative knick knacks? functional knick knacks? furniture?

My mom's gotten a few decorative things from them at most, I don't really recall what happened to them though.

To me they were too exotic for my tastes. They wanted to make it look like someone travelled to india or eastern asia and brought stuff home.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4600 posts
821 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:07 pm
They wanted to make it look like someone travelled to india or eastern asia and brought stuff home.

ummm...yeah...hence the name.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11977 posts
1744 upvotes
City of Vancouver
neonic wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:52 pm
Paroxetine wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:59 pm
Same lol...
Wikipedia:
"The Bombay Company was founded in 1978 by Brad Harper in New Orleans as a mail-order company and Greg McGroarty was allocated the Canadian operations by his good friend Brad Harper. Harper later opened two retail stores in New Orleans. In 1980, Harper sold the U.S. operating rights and established overseas supply channels to the Fort Worth, Texas-based holding company Tandy Brands, Inc., which is publicly traded on NASDAQ.

In 1981, Tandy Brands purchased the Canadian rights from Robert Nourse, though Nourse continued to manage the Canadian operations. In 1983, Nourse moved to the United States and assumed responsibility for retail operations.

The Bombay Company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on September 20, 2007. The company was sold to Gordon Brothers and Hilco, two liquidation companies who sold off the remaining inventory. As of January 21, 2008, all U.S. retail stores were liquidated and closed. In February 2008, Hilco, and Gordon Brothers purchased all intellectual capital of the Bombay Company, including the Bombay Company website, and created Bombay Brands, a company that will sell Bombay merchandise through other retail outfits. Some Bombay Original merchandise can be seen at Value City Furniture. In September 2010, approximately a dozen pieces of Bombay merchandise have also been made available for purchase in the U.S. through QVC and QVC.COM.

Bombay's Canadian operations were purchased by the B&C Group, which operates the Benix and Bowring retail banners in Canada. Bombay Canada is now owned by Fluid Brands Inc. Toronto based retail mogul Fred Benitah owner of Fluid Brands Inc. also owns Bowring Brothers, Canadian home decor retail chain.

In December 2009, William S. Hollands was named chief merchant overseeing the Bombay Company operating unit, which manages the U.S. licensing agreement with Bombay Brands LLC, during its re-emergence as a retail brand in the United States.

In 2011, Bombay was purchased by Hermes-Otto International, a subsidiary of Otto. As of November 2nd 2018, Bombay has declared Bankruptcy and will begin the Liquidation process starting 5th November with The Gordon Brothers."
Jul 20, 2016
778 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:37 pm
Wikipedia:
"The Bombay Company was founded in 1978 by Brad Harper in New Orleans as a mail-order company and Greg McGroarty was allocated the Canadian operations by his good friend Brad Harper. Harper later opened two retail stores in New Orleans. In 1980, Harper sold the U.S. operating rights and established overseas supply channels to the Fort Worth, Texas-based holding company Tandy Brands, Inc., which is publicly traded on NASDAQ.

In 1981, Tandy Brands purchased the Canadian rights from Robert Nourse, though Nourse continued to manage the Canadian operations. In 1983, Nourse moved to the United States and assumed responsibility for retail operations.

The Bombay Company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on September 20, 2007. The company was sold to Gordon Brothers and Hilco, two liquidation companies who sold off the remaining inventory. As of January 21, 2008, all U.S. retail stores were liquidated and closed. In February 2008, Hilco, and Gordon Brothers purchased all intellectual capital of the Bombay Company, including the Bombay Company website, and created Bombay Brands, a company that will sell Bombay merchandise through other retail outfits. Some Bombay Original merchandise can be seen at Value City Furniture. In September 2010, approximately a dozen pieces of Bombay merchandise have also been made available for purchase in the U.S. through QVC and QVC.COM.

Bombay's Canadian operations were purchased by the B&C Group, which operates the Benix and Bowring retail banners in Canada. Bombay Canada is now owned by Fluid Brands Inc. Toronto based retail mogul Fred Benitah owner of Fluid Brands Inc. also owns Bowring Brothers, Canadian home decor retail chain.

In December 2009, William S. Hollands was named chief merchant overseeing the Bombay Company operating unit, which manages the U.S. licensing agreement with Bombay Brands LLC, during its re-emergence as a retail brand in the United States.

In 2011, Bombay was purchased by Hermes-Otto International, a subsidiary of Otto. As of November 2nd 2018, Bombay has declared Bankruptcy and will begin the Liquidation process starting 5th November with The Gordon Brothers."
If that matters, this thread was on Hot Deals. Just mentioned that would be better if OP followed Hot Deals best practices with better description and provide links.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1081 posts
249 upvotes
what site is it? can anyone provide link? going to www.bombay.ca just loads the logo in the center, nothing else appears.