Shopping Discussion

Bombay Company Going Out Of Business ice cold!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 9:35 am
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I remember Bombay Company back in the late '80s/early '90s. Stuff was nice quality and expensive, IIRC. Over time, u see how brands change after they go bankrupt, bought out, rebranded, etc.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8587 posts
1883 upvotes
London
Becks wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:37 pm
In 2011, Bombay was purchased by Hermes-Otto International, a subsidiary of Otto. As of November 2nd 2018, Bombay has declared Bankruptcy and will begin the Liquidation process starting 5th November with The Gordon Brothers."
Look, if you're interesting in something, mention my name or look for me near the back (I'm the one the gold shirt) and say the password "redflag" and I'll hook you up.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2264 posts
332 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd never buy interior design pieces off Alibaba sight unseen.
It's basically asking for disappointment.

I can't say I have bought much from Bombay Co, but I will say I certainly am not celebrating their bankruptcy.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1189 posts
666 upvotes
Richmond Hill
They will not be missed.

I remember couple years ago they said they are out of business, but for whatever reason they reopen and last many years (If my member is correct, like 10 yrs?)

Hope this is really the end of it.
Sep 8, 2017
327 posts
708 upvotes
Markham store at markville mall (Bombay) is 20% off everything and they have store closing signs everywhere
Nov 20, 2017
1 posts
That s always disorganized, and expensive..
A lot of their product are out of style..
Still it is a sad news for another retailer in Canada
Oct 16, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
bengoldenberg wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:50 pm
Finally the Bombay company is biting the dust. They have sold overpriced poorly made products for years. Thanks to Alibaba people have cut out the middle man while purchasing poorly made knickknacks. Either way the crappy sale of 20-40 percent off is on. Meaning the slightly less crappy sale of 30-40 will start in a few weeks. I have never purchased an item from Bombay that hasn't broken.
I think sites like Wayfair killed these companies because they don't have as much overhead costs to pay managers and store rentals etc.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2011
366 posts
217 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:56 pm
Wow, you hate them so much you had to post and whine about your own deal.
Yeah, well your epidermis is showing.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2011
366 posts
217 upvotes
Sypsy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:07 pm
I'm curious.

What have you purchased from them? Did you buy decorative knick knacks? functional knick knacks? furniture?

My mom's gotten a few decorative things from them at most, I don't really recall what happened to them though.

To me they were too exotic for my tastes. They wanted to make it look like someone travelled to india or eastern asia and brought stuff home.
I bought a clothes horse, a watch caddy and my sister bought a large bed back in the day. All fell apart. None were cheap. My mother once bought me a duvet from their clearance section. Original price $399
I opened it up. %100 polyester. Give me a break. Garbage. Anybody who knows quality would never sleep in polyester sheets, let alone pay 400 bucks for them.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2011
366 posts
217 upvotes
Lookingfordeals911 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:39 am
I think sites like Wayfair killed these companies because they don't have as much overhead costs to pay managers and store rentals etc.
You're right, Wayfair is a better example than Alibaba. The problem is the quality. They are selling crappy Wayfair quality stuff and selling it like it's high end. Other stores like Stuctube / Ikea manage to sell decent quality for much less and still turn a profit. Bombay is more like Pier 1. Although I feel like the Pier 1 quality sort of justifies the price - but not really.
Apr 27, 2016
45 posts
30 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 12:56 pm
Wow, you hate them so much you had to post and whine about your own deal.
How come such a dumb comment gets 4 thumbs up - oh... right, Bombay company must have employees.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2011
366 posts
217 upvotes
neonic wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:59 pm

If that matters, this thread was on Hot Deals. Just mentioned that would be better if OP followed Hot Deals best practices with better description and provide links.
Actually I posted this first thing in the morning and I searched through hot deals first. It wasn't posted yet. Not sure why it says 5pm. Also what better description do you need. Bombay Company going out of business. 20-40 percent off. There is no link. It's a statement of fact.
Apr 27, 2016
45 posts
30 upvotes
puroeuro wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 3:51 pm
what site is it? can anyone provide link? going to www.bombay.ca just loads the logo in the center, nothing else appears.
It is not a site! It is a chain of stores. I went in and they said all of them were closing. There is no link. I took a photo and the resolution on my phone is too high to upload to RFD. I didn't care enough to waste time resizing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6250 posts
3842 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Back in the day, we bought a fair amount of goods at Bombay Co. & Bowring when there were sales
Full price, and yes Stuff was expensive
Never bought furniture there ... prices were too high vs quality

But they were a good place to get decor items
Lamps, Mirrors, Framed Prints, Cushions, Knickknacks
More upscale looking stuff than Sears, The Bay etc

On a side note...
I don’t get all the hate in this topic
I get that not every retailer carries goods that everyone is going to buy
But that doesn’t mean they deserve all the vitriol that is being heaped on them here
Ya don’t like a store, cause it’s not for you fine... don’t shop there
But what’s the point of criticizing those that do, or have ?

20 years from now... people will look back and shake their heads at folks who thought Walmart or Amazon was all that
Truth is times change
Shopping methods are cyclical
My kids thought Consumers Distributing was dumb
When other stores let you see stuff
And catalogue shopping was a waste of time... waiting for a pkg to arrive
Today... we all shop online ala warehouses
Cause we call it convenient and a money saver

But I am betting, that somewhere down the line
Another generation will want to actually see & feel and try on stuff before they lay down any money for a retailer they never see in person
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4733 posts
1156 upvotes
Alberta
We've never even been into one of their store, checked online or spent a cent there.