None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1289 posts
67 upvotes

Bonded Leather Couch

Hi:

I just came back from the Brick and selected what I thought was a Leather Sofa, however I went online later that night to find it was a bonded leather sofa (Not the black one for $299).

I was wondering what peoples opinion on this product was? It looks and feels like real leather and to my knowledge the difference is price and durrability (both being lower). I've read that bonded leather is rather a type of 'recycled' leather bits then glued together and made to look like real leather.

The couches were a good price ($500, $480 sofa and loveseat). I might be stuck with this design since I can't find any good couches which are under 86" (I live in a condo with a smaller elevator). I am sort of worried about the quality of this product and hope someone can shed some light.
28 replies
Oct 23, 2007
258 posts
5 upvotes
Maple
I was very close to buying a bonded leather couch at bad boy on sunday.

I noticed on the seams that the leather was peeling off and showing the lighter material underneath.

It made the whole couch look cheap and we decided against it.

BUT for that low price you probably wont be able to pick up anything else in leather so you may have no choice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1289 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks for your response. Hopefully the durability isn't that bad... worse comes to worse I will have to replace the couch when I replace my condo =).
Mar 31, 2005
753 posts
106 upvotes
Do not buy Bonded Leather. It is not worth it. It will eventually separate and you will have to toss it out. Bonded leather is usually a thin layer of inner cow hide bonded together with man made materials, but since this inner cow hide is not as durable than Top Grain Full Leather (the best and most expensive to get), it will eventually stretch and break off of the bonded backing and there goes your money down the tubes.
You can pick up some All leather sofas/loveseats on sale for only slightly more than the prices you quoted and sometimes for less. I did see a full leather sofa at Idomo for really cheap a few weeks ago, on a 4 day special though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1289 posts
67 upvotes
Values99 how long do you think the couch will last? 3-5 years?

The problem I have is... I bought a couch at the brick and it turned out to be too big so it was sent back to them. They gave me a credit for the amount but I am pretty sure these credits are non refundable. Since I needed something smaller I had a small selection between some very cheap microseude couches and some bonded leather. At the time I thought the couch was leather... (Regular price 1000 on sale for 500) otherwise I might have not chosen it. I think I asked the sales rep but I don't think I got a response. Then at night I found out it was bonded and now I am worried.

Money is only a small issue. I have a good job and if I could find the perfect couch I would spend 2-3k each piece (Although I'd prefer something cheaper). I had initially bought a Natuzzi and couldn't get it up, but I thought that a store with delivery could move it up the stairs of the condo building... so I went to the brick and ordered something... but the couch didn't fit either. I am stuck with all the cheap couches selection at the brick... bottom of the barrel. And the $300 couches on sale really look like cheap couches.
Mar 31, 2005
753 posts
106 upvotes
Phoenix88 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2008 7:01 pm
Values99 how long do you think the couch will last? 3-5 years?

The problem I have is... I bought a couch at the brick and it turned out to be too big so it was sent back to them. They gave me a credit for the amount but I am pretty sure these credits are non refundable. Since I needed something smaller I had a small selection between some very cheap microseude couches and some bonded leather. At the time I thought the couch was leather... (Regular price 1000 on sale for 500) otherwise I might have not chosen it. I think I asked the sales rep but I don't think I got a response. Then at night I found out it was bonded and now I am worried.

Money is only a small issue. I have a good job and if I could find the perfect couch I would spend 2-3k each piece (Although I'd prefer something cheaper). I had initially bought a Natuzzi and couldn't get it up, but I thought that a store with delivery could move it up the stairs of the condo building... so I went to the brick and ordered something... but the couch didn't fit either. I am stuck with all the cheap couches selection at the brick... bottom of the barrel. And the $300 couches on sale really look like cheap couches.
You will need to buy some good quality leather oil and apply it on a regular basis to keep the leather from drying out, this will make it last longer,.... maybe and just maybe for the 3-5 years you are looking at.

I would start this treatment right away. I use Obenaufs Oil for furniture leather. You can do a search for them online.

Can not really comment on how long the Bricks bonded leather couch will last, too many variables,, leather quality?, bonding process?, hardwood?, how much use?...... How long does the brick guarantee this product? Ask them for information, if you need to claim for leather separation, breaking at the seams, common bonded leather issues.......

You can find many smaller furniture stores that actually sell better products for less. We bought all ours from Idomo, on Sheppard and Allen, in GTA. They have a wide range of furniture that will suit anyones budget. They have really good specials every so often but for only 3-4 days or while quantity lasts. Some of the more modern styles are compact for condos. You can check them out online too.

As for Regular Brick prices, just ignore them, actually ignore any regular price at any store, just keep track of their selling prices and sale prices from those. It seems like all retailers tend to over inflate their prices all the time, to justify half price sales. If you shop around, you will get to know the going rate, range of prices for them. Too bad that you got stuck at the brick.

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7241 posts
442 upvotes
If you're really worried about this you might want to look into some sort of fabric protection guaranty. Personally, when a couch goes it goes I couldn't careless and appreciate it for the moment. For $300 I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.
Nov 20, 2002
860 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton
Frankie3s wrote:
Mar 12th, 2008 9:11 pm
Personally, when a couch goes it goes I couldn't careless and appreciate it for the moment. For $300 I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.
That was kinda our approach. We bought an ottoman and chair made of bonded leather and paid ~$200 each for them. Both the wife and I consider them mostly disposable! If they last 5 years, great! I am not sure we could ask much more from a $200 piece of furniture! ;) The leather care product is a great suggestion however! I think that we may head out and look for some! =)
Mar 31, 2005
753 posts
106 upvotes
mrlarouc wrote:
Mar 12th, 2008 11:23 pm
That was kinda our approach. We bought an ottoman and chair made of bonded leather and paid ~$200 each for them. Both the wife and I consider them mostly disposable! If they last 5 years, great! I am not sure we could ask much more from a $200 piece of furniture! ;) The leather care product is a great suggestion however! I think that we may head out and look for some! =)
Be careful on choosing a quality leather care product, as some will actually damage your leather furniture.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
19 upvotes
Sask
I would expect the durability and life to be VERY low. I've seen year-old fake leather couches from the Brick that look horrible, like someone threw acid on them or worse. You sound like you actually care about the quality of your things, so believe me getting even medium or high level of Brick product is like buying the lowest grade of another manufacturer. They are the masters of cheap product and deceptive sales. I'd only get Brick furniture if I was staging a house for photos and didn't care if the furniture fell apart in 3 months.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1177 posts
29 upvotes
Sarnia
The Bricks having a sale? say it aint so.
Aug 25, 2005
739 posts
41 upvotes
How's your sofa holding up?

Just curious...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1289 posts
67 upvotes
(mind you I didn't get the 299 bonded leather but a different bonded leather for 499)

Couch is holding up nice - great fit for our place. Leather is still nice and is holding up well. The padding in the cushons are doing well but not as firm as before (especially where I sit all the time - and I am a not small and not huge person).

Only couch we could get in to our condo from the brick - tried two other sets.
Aug 25, 2005
739 posts
41 upvotes
Phoenix88 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2009 10:24 am
(mind you I didn't get the 299 bonded leather but a different bonded leather for 499)

Couch is holding up nice - great fit for our place. Leather is still nice and is holding up well. The padding in the cushons are doing well but not as firm as before (especially where I sit all the time - and I am a not small and not huge person).

Only couch we could get in to our condo from the brick - tried two other sets.
Cool. Thanks. I went with a $399 bonded leather sofa in the basement. So far so good and the deliver was better than expected -- mind you I wasn't expecting much from the brick.