Travel

Booked / Bought vacation - how soon to look for flights?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 8:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
454 upvotes
Mississauga

Booked / Bought vacation - how soon to look for flights?

The trip is in March. Should I start looking for flights now or closer to the date? Which sites offer price protection?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1108 posts
400 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 3:56 pm
>> The trip is in March. Should I start looking for flights now or closer to the date?

Now

>> Which sites offer price protection?

None for free.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4796 posts
848 upvotes
Thornhill
FN may have some kind of price protection for a credit.
https://www.flightnetwork.com/price-drop-protection/

From now til some time in December is a good time to look. It does depend on location/country/availability and how busy the month is. If it's during the March break, you may be too late for the best deals.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7231 posts
1468 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't know where you're flying to but Air Canada has a 15 percent code only for today.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8125 posts
3861 upvotes
Depending on the trip, I would never book anything until I had my flights booked.

This summer, I booked a Euro trip. First booked the tickets, then started planning everything else. Mid trip we also flew to Santorini, and out of Mykonos. I did not book any accommodations or anything there till I had the flights sorted out.

If the trip is in march, and depending on the location, you better start looking now.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4139 posts
989 upvotes
Toronto
boyoflondon wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:09 pm
Depending on the trip, I would never book anything until I had my flights booked.

This summer, I booked a Euro trip. First booked the tickets, then started planning everything else. Mid trip we also flew to Santorini, and out of Mykonos. I did not book any accommodations or anything there till I had the flights sorted out.

If the trip is in march, and depending on the location, you better start looking now.
Same, the flights really are the key in making the whole thing work, at least for me. There are countless hotel and tour options, but a limited number of flights, which also vary wildly in price. I'd at least check accommodation availability based on the flights I'm thinking of just to make sure it's not way off base, but definitely everything is driven by whether there are decently priced flights on an acceptable airline and schedule.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6721 posts
4239 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
boyoflondon wrote:

Manatus wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:13 pm
Same, the flights really are the key in making the whole thing work, at least for me. There are countless hotel and tour options, but a limited number of flights, which also vary wildly in price. I'd at least check accommodation availability based on the flights I'm thinking of just to make sure it's not way off base, but definitely everything is driven by whether there are decently priced flights on an acceptable airline and schedule.
This

Ya should book IMMEDIATELY... infact you should have started looking BEFORE you booked the rest of your vacation

Hinestly, I don’t get when people make booking commitments (often non refundable) without making sure they have all their ducks in a row

Airfare can often be the biggest hurdle, be it the cost, or in some cases just finding flights that work time wise... doesn’t even have to be those last minute good deals...

Airline Schedules change / can be unpredictable

Heck there are even some AWESOME Caribbean Desitinations... including MAJOR Places that Air Canada or others only get to once a week

That right there can wreck havoc with someone’s plans or budget

Airfare IS CRUCIAL... and the COST can be prohibitive in some situations

TIP - Most decent Travel Providers (Airlines / Cruises / AIs etc) actually allow you to put a BOOKING on HOLD (or a Guaranteed 24 Hour Full Refund) ... so Travellers can indeed line up other things... like Airfare, Trip Cancellation & Travel Medical Insurance... or even time off from work

Cannot tell you how many times I’ve read on Travel Forums the stories of folks who booked their vacation spontaneously without a whole lot of research only to find... Airfare scheduling did not work or was too costly. Or they had an expiring Passport, or they couldn’t get the time off. Or how about the guy in 2017 who did not realize his GOOD DEAL was taking him to a Destination marked as Ground Zero for an oncoming Hurricane (definitely an RFD Classic tale).

It’s your good HARD EARNED money on the table... don’t let it wash down the drain.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
652 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:

Not really, just book direct with hotel or other rates that have free cancellation.

Why can't you book refundable hotels and other bookings first?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
454 upvotes
Mississauga
Should have posted this in the OP but.....
From Toronto to Morocco for two weeks and then back home.
OR
Do a stop over for couple days in a Lisbon on the way back.

For now there are plenty of flights. Its just the matter of selecting the carrier and deciding on the time / exact date.
Also is there a way to select the check in baggage being included or is this now something you always pay for?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6721 posts
4239 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 9:39 am
Should have posted this in the OP but.....
From Toronto to Morocco for two weeks and then back home.
OR
Do a stop over for couple days in a Lisbon on the way back.

For now there are plenty of flights. Its just the matter of selecting the carrier and deciding on the time / exact date.
Also is there a way to select the check in baggage being included or is this now something you always pay for?
Checked Baggage Policy & Rates differ by airline... especially for International Travel

So you are going to have to check policy, at the same time you check ticket prices.

As well the fare category can make a difference too

If you buy a higher fare, it often will say in the list of things you get ... that first bag is FREE etc.

Baggage Fees really add up these days...
More so if you don’t fly direct, or have to switch airlines
As you’ll have to pay each leg of the journey... TO & FROM
Ugh!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8125 posts
3861 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 7:17 am
Not really, just book direct with hotel or other rates that have free cancellation.

Why can't you book refundable hotels and other bookings first?
Depending where you are booking, free cancellations come with a higher price. I know for my trip to Mykonos and Santorini, price was at least 10% more a night.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9682 posts
4043 upvotes
Toronto
How many days you got?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Feb 16, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
I would look and book my flight ASAP. Normally the earlier you book the cheaper the fare, at least in my experience. As you get close to the one month mark from your trip I find the cost increases dramatically and the availability of flights decreases. Good luck!
Jan 8, 2012
460 posts
184 upvotes
Williams Lake
Flights deals pop up at random, in my experience.

But if I have a set time to travel, I'm going to be looking at prices asap to see what a "normal" price is. That way I know a deal when I see one.
Nov 8, 2017
634 posts
262 upvotes
I usually use google flights and track flight prices.