Travel

Booked / Bought vacation - how soon to look for flights?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2018 8:04 pm
Apr 6, 2008
683 posts
303 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 7:26 pm
FN may have some kind of price protection for a credit.
https://www.flightnetwork.com/price-drop-protection/

From now til some time in December is a good time to look. It does depend on location/country/availability and how busy the month is. If it's during the March break, you may be too late for the best deals.
Be careful with FN. They are the only ones I know of that have the price protection. I have booked flights through them and have been happy however...

I've used the price protection. It does work as described. I had a flight for two that went down by 200$ each 2 days after I booked. Now you can only claim this refund once...so if it goes down even further after claiming the refund then too bad. But the catch is that you get it as a credit towards a future flight, not a cheque in the mail. Also, if say two people's flights went down by $200 each, you don't get a refund of $400. You get two separate refunds of $200, tied to each person. So if you want to use the refund for a different person later on you can't. As far as I know the refunds are only supposed to be used on flights, but I did call their customer service (overseas) and after several calls and emails, they eventually allowed me to use the credit on a hotel room. I think this one a kind gesture and not the norm. YMMV.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1451 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 12:26 am
Be careful with FN. They are the only ones I know of that have the price protection. I have booked flights through them and have been happy however...

I've used the price protection. It does work as described. I had a flight for two that went down by 200$ each 2 days after I booked. Now you can only claim this refund once...so if it goes down even further after claiming the refund then too bad. But the catch is that you get it as a credit towards a future flight, not a cheque in the mail. Also, if say two people's flights went down by $200 each, you don't get a refund of $400. You get two separate refunds of $200, tied to each person. So if you want to use the refund for a different person later on you can't. As far as I know the refunds are only supposed to be used on flights, but I did call their customer service (overseas) and after several calls and emails, they eventually allowed me to use the credit on a hotel room. I think this one a kind gesture and not the norm. YMMV.
Correct. And the credit expires after 12 months. You have the watch prices like a hawk - use Kayak, Google Flights, etc. and don't rely on their built-in price alerts to warn you. Otherwise, the system has worked well for me in the past as well.

Very surprised they let you transfer the credit to a hotel room!
How I try to save money: Zoomer Wireless $36 4GB LTE / Teksavvy rCable $64 100 / Freephoneline $0 / No TV! / Flipp / Foupon
How I try to make money: Stack Mastercard / Amex Biz Platinum / Drop / GCR / Ebates / Paytm