• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:04 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2005
439 posts
11 upvotes
Woodbridge

Booking one way flights on same carrier

I’ve always booked return flights with the same carrier.
I’m now looking at flights to Florida on AC and I’m noticing that if I were to book one way flights it’s about $200 cheaper....even with being charged in US $ for the return.

I’m a little uneasy cuz I’ve never booked flights like this before.
Anything I should be watching out for?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1193 posts
443 upvotes
S U wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:51 am
I’ve always booked return flights with the same carrier.
I’m now looking at flights to Florida on AC and I’m noticing that if I were to book one way flights it’s about $200 cheaper....even with being charged in US $ for the return.

I’m a little uneasy cuz I’ve never booked flights like this before.
Anything I should be watching out for?
No worries, it is fine. Just check both tickets with usual vigilance:
names, dates, carry-on and check-in allowance, etc....

Cheers!
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10850 posts
258 upvotes
Ottawa
The biggest issue with two one-way tickets is if your plans change, or you run into IRROPS. No issues with actually using two separate one-way tickets, as tequilla mentioned. I sometimes do it to get a cheap business class ticket on one leg, or when I find a cheap error fare.

Now, if your plans were to change and you needed to cancel or postpone your trip, you would need to cancel or change each one-way ticket individually. That means two different change fees, and less money refunded. So if it costs $300 in change fees, and you need to push your trip by a few months, you end up paying $600 - and similarly, either get less money back if the tickets are refundable, or used as a future credit.

Additionally, schedule changes or IRROPS are an issue (irregular operations). Depending on how far in advance you book your flights, there's a chance the airline could cancel that original flight or change it's schedule, moving you to a different time or even date. Normally if there is a schedule change where your new departure is more than 4 hours from your original time, you can change your flights for free to find something better. This can apply to the return trip as well! However, if you have two one-way tickets, they will only ever let you change the affected ticket. In other words, if a schedule change happens and the flight now leaves on the next day, you could normally move your return to a day later for the same duration of a trip. However, one two separate tickets, they will not let you change your return for free, as they are not connected.

So for normal travel, it's not an issue - and I used to book award trips as individual one-ways all the time, until I started to run into irrops/schedule changes. If your return ticket is week or two after your departure, then I doubt this would affect you.
- Absolute

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)