None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9295 posts
673 upvotes
Brampton

Boost Mobile in Canada?

My friend has a motorola flip phone from boost mobile. He got it from craigslist for cheap but I think he got ripped off. Does boost mobile even operate in Canada? I tried to activate the phone online but it appears to be US only??? Does this phone need to be unlocked or something for it to work in Canada? He's totally clueless about phones and I have never heard of boost mobile in Canada either.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
4 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
squall458 wrote:
May 13th, 2011 9:10 pm
My friend has a motorola flip phone from boost mobile. He got it from craigslist for cheap but I think he got ripped off. Does boost mobile even operate in Canada? I tried to activate the phone online but it appears to be US only??? Does this phone need to be unlocked or something for it to work in Canada? He's totally clueless about phones and I have never heard of boost mobile in Canada either.

he's shiet out of luck dude.
boost mobile is a cdma and iden carrier.
their phones will not work in canada or any other.
cdma networks in canada do not allow ESN#'s other then their own on their network unless they are roaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_Mobile
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2004
9295 posts
673 upvotes
Brampton
infamouskid wrote:
May 13th, 2011 10:46 pm
he's shiet out of luck dude.
boost mobile is a cdma and iden carrier.
their phones will not work in canada or any other.
cdma networks in canada do not allow ESN#'s other then their own on their network unless they are roaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_Mobile

That's what I thought!! Poor dude. How did a phone like this make it up here? It was brand new, sealed though! I guess he can sell on ebay to get some of his money back.
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0.
Ebay Feedback 199 and counting.
RFD Feedback 41-0-0 and counting.
May 15, 2012
1 posts
MAIDSTONE
squall458 wrote:
May 13th, 2011 9:10 pm

Boost Mobile is a US carrier. Boost Mobile does not have Canadian service, but their Push to talk service(walkie talkie) is good and they have free unlimited text and internet. I have the service for two units, and love it, I'm also Canadian, and don't much need the phone to contact, whom I need to contact. Your friend might have the Direct Connect (walkie Talkie) and if so, it's a good option. Boost is investigating ways to branch all services into Canada, stay tuned. I'm hoping they do!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Enigmatus wrote:
May 16th, 2012 4:27 pm
Boost is investigating ways to branch all services into Canada, stay tuned. I'm hoping they do!

Boost Mobile is basically an MVNO of Sprint and last I checked Sprint left the Canadian market many years ago. So unless you have some insider info I can't see Boost setting up shop in Canada.
× < >