• Jun 9th, 2019 5:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal

Borderlands Handsome Collection = Massive Ad Campaign for Borderlands 3

I PAID for this stupid game at launch, own every BL game known to man on every platform, yet I boot it up this weekend (it updates) then I am hammered with a big "PRE-ORDER BORDERLANDS 3!!" ad page right there before I start the game. I need to close that piece of crap, then in the loading area, there is a big "PRE-ORDER BORDERLANDS 3!!" graphic on the top of the game screen, not to mention a "PRE-ORDER BORDERLANDS 3!!" entry right there in the Game Menu.

WTF? Like I said, I PAID retail for this game and now 2K somehow thinks it's Freemium and that they have the right to transform it into a massive "PRE-ORDER BORDERLANDS 3!!" running advertisement. I know other companies are using in-game placement advertising for sports games, but I never thought this horrible trend would filter down this far or be this incredibly obtrusive.

This is a horrible precedent and just on principle I will probably wait for a GOTY edition for $20 before giving them any more of my money - the BL games have gotten progressively worse anyway (BL > BL2 > BL:PS) and the "humor" (if you can call it that) more grating and idiotic.

But this constant "PRE-ORDER BORDERLANDS 3!!" in-game ad campaign, with full ad pages, menu links, and massive logos, is the last straw.
FourDollarama Shut Down My RFD Customer Experience Thread!
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
Borderlands 1 released on XBox One and PS4 this week. It has the same ads. Really nothing to get worked up over if you like the series.

Humour in Borderlands has always been very forced. It seems they try to throw as many jokes in as possible and hope something sticks.
Most of the jokes are not very good or the sound bytes repeat far too often that they get annoying.

For Borderlands 1 on XBox One and PS4 you can also import saves from the ps3 and Xbox 360 versions instead of starting all over.
The writing in these games are not good but I have friends that play it. I ended up pre-ordering BL3 purely for the co-op.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6788 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
EA has been doing the same thing in Battlefield 1 and probably other games. I don't like it but where better to advertise your next multiplayer game than to the people still playing the current one.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds the "humor" in these games awful. Considering the terrible writing with its forced references, awful voice acting and generally mundane mission design I've never understood peoples obsession with this mediocre series. I'm blown away when I hear about people spending hundreds and thousands of hours these games because I had more than enough of both after 10-15 hours
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
I disagree about Borderlands 1 being the best. It has the worst vehicle controls out of any game made in the last 10 years.
(Use the right and left analog sticks to accelerate/decelerate) and Borderlands 1 also has one of the worst and most unfulfilling game endings ever made.

There are some quality of life improvements made in the new versions of Borderlands 1 but updating the driving controls was overlooked.

Digital Foundry compares what's new.

Last gen versions are 25-30 fps.
PS4 and XBox One versions aim for 60 frames per second and mostly hits it. However, split screen 1-4 local players runs at 30 frames per second.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 2:06 pm
Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds the "humor" in these games awful. Considering the terrible writing with its forced references, awful voice acting and generally mundane mission design I've never understood peoples obsession with this mediocre series.
For me, the original Borderlands gave loot-shooters a nice shot in the arm, and I really liked the overall look and feel of the game (it duplicated a desolate wasteland pretty well and some parts were eerie) and the humor was minimal and well-placed. A lot of people liked the game and created enough demand for sequels.

Unfortunately, the sequels went the totally wrong direction and instead of creating a better game, it pandered to the hardcore nerds with forced, overdone and consistent "bad humor" while creating some of the worst cut-scenes I've ever seen - and the characters? Tiny Tina has to be the most irritating character I've ever been forced to watch but hardcore BL fans will tell you she's the "height of humor".

There were definite gameplay improvements (mini-map, driving, streamlined UI, etc.) in the sequels but the core game was much, ,much, much worse than the original. It turned from a "fun and atmospheric loot-shooter" into a sophomoric "throw every bad joke against the wall and see if any stick" soap opera of bad writing and terrible characters,. As time passed, a lot of Borderlands fanboys/girls are borderline nuts and are truly obsessive about the characters and "lore" to the point where I don't really want to be associated with these whackos.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 3:19 pm
I disagree about Borderlands 1 being the best.
I said it was the best core game, not that the sequels didn't make some UI and gameplay improvements. I go back and play BL and I really miss the mini-map for instance, but that doesn't mean the sequels are better games, they just have a more polished UI.

And I could drive just fine on all of the games and never had any trouble getting any of the race-related trophies.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2120 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Not looking forward to 3 at all ever since the Epic exclusive nonsense. Will probably get it a few years later with all stuff for pennies. Shame, but these days looter shooters are plentiful enough that BL isn't really king of the hill. Division 2 serves up a nice alternative.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal
BYan wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 10:07 am
Not looking forward to 3 at all ever since the Epic exclusive nonsense. Will probably get it a few years later with all stuff for pennies. Shame, but these days looter shooters are plentiful enough that BL isn't really king of the hill. Division 2 serves up a nice alternative.
Yeah, I have a bad feeling that BL3 is going to way over-the-top in things I HATE (like terrible humor, psychotic screaming unfunny characters - Tiny Tina + Torgue on multi-screen = torture -, horrible cut-scenes, continually recycling in-game characters from BL/BL2/BLPS, RAID-style bosses that require multiple players + tricks, etc.) and low on things I like, such as story (not just idiotic cut-scenes), a killer loot system, local-MP, sparse but quality humor, new in-game characters, proper mood and setting, and halting the continued descent into full-cartoon graphics.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16922 posts
2645 upvotes
Toronto
Borderlands 2 was a definite improvement over Borderlands 1. 1 felt empty and sterile, whereas 2 feels far more alive and has more interesting and balanced character abilities. 1 had better guns, the Crimson Lance, and a more 'lost in the desert' feel, but that's it.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2051 posts
832 upvotes
I just started BL2 again on the PC.

I didn’t purchase this as part of the handsome collection so I haven’t noticed any ads (if there were I haven’t paid attention).

Not sure why this is a big deal...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
Gamespot and Gearbox hosted the gameplay reveal event for Borderlands 3 on May 2nd:

The Pre-order bonus on PS4 is a dynamic theme:

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 10:43 am
I didn’t purchase this as part of the handsome collection so I haven’t noticed any ads

Not sure why this is a big deal...
Maybe because the PC version you have doesn't include the massively obtrusive Spam-Ad campaign? If it did, you'd have to be blind to miss it. :facepalm:

Go buy it on PS4 and you'll have 3 pages of ads to click through each time, along with in-game ads on the main menu and other areas. It's extremely obtrusive, and only hardcore fanboys will think it's a great move.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
There is only one popup notification the first time you launch the game and it is not there any other time the game launches afterwards.
The PC version on Steam has the exact same thing if you bothered to check.
JackWhyte wrote:
May 10th, 2019 9:50 am
Maybe because the PC version you have doesn't include the massively obtrusive Spam-Ad campaign? If it did, you'd have to be blind to miss it. :facepalm:

Go buy it on PS4 and you'll have 3 pages of ads to click through each time, along with in-game ads on the main menu and other areas. It's extremely obtrusive, and only hardcore fanboys will think it's a great move.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13708 posts
3942 upvotes
Montreal
XFactor11 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 9:52 am
There is only one popup notification the first time you launch the game and it is not there any other time afterwards.
The PC version on Steam has the exact same thing if you bothered to check.
Huh? The other guy said there were "no ads" on his PC version of BL2 (I don't have just vanilla BL2 PC loaded, I have BL and the handsome collection), not me, and it's hardly just the pop-up, as my PS4 copies have ads on the first screen, then on the menus as well. Look at the TOP OF THE SCREEN, :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7395 posts
2097 upvotes
There's an ad on the first screen on all versions of the game. Nothing to get worked up over.
The developer has a right to advertise if they choose to. The pop-up notification does not come back after the first load up.